school snack question

Old September 8th 06, 09:31 PM posted to misc.kids
Tracey

Default school snack question

Okay, my DD school is trying to enforce 'healthy snacks'. Nevermind my
feelings about the school trying to enforce what I should be feeding my
child, but I have a question about what you all think. They have this
program they call 'snack attack' Every couple of days, during snacktime,
the teacher tells them that it is a snack attack day, and checks everyones
snack. If 100% of the class has healthy snacks as opposed to non healthy
snacks, the class gets a star. The classes with the most stars at the end
of the month or whatever get a special treat (actually, its an extra gym
class, I think).

We have been told to send 'a health snack, no junk food' for snacktime.
Fine, I'm all for that, but ultimately *I* should be deciding what food to
give my kid, not some teacher. Today I sent my daughter to school with
carrots, ranch dressing, and a drink: Minute Maid Fruit Falls flavored
water in a bag (like Capri Suns come in). It is 3% juice, 97% water. There
is *NO SUGAR ADDED*, no corn syrup, nothing like that. Water and a splash
of juice. My daughter likes to drink these (I don't like them, but hey, I'd
rather drink plain water).

She came home from school today telling me that she was thirsty all morning
because her teacher wouldn't let her drink her flavored water during snack
time. Why not? Because it isn't "100% juice".

Huh? Its got no sugar. If she brought in a cup of water with a slice of
lemon in it, the teacher wouldn't complain about that, but this is the same
thing. In my mind, its better for the kid to be drinking water with a
splash of juice (2 carb grams per serving, sugars less than 1g per serving,
and 5 calories) than a serving of 100% juice with a lot more grams of sugar
and calories.

The nutritional label on this product says this for ingredients: "Contains
pure filtered water, grape and pear juices from concentrate, less than 0.5%
of: raspberry, blueberrry, and strawberry juices from concentrate, calcium
citrate (calcium source), Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), natural flavors, citrus
acid (provides tartness), sucralose, acesfulfame potassium."

Am I misinterpreting something, or is the teacher nuts?

BTW, according to the teacher, Goldfish count as a 'healthy snack' (okay,
they are better than other choices, but if you don't consider WATER with
fruit juice flavoring as healthy, how are goldfish healthy?)

Opinions??????

Old September 8th 06, 09:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Tracey wrote:
[...]

It does have artificial sweeteners, which might kick
it off some people's idea of a healthy foods list.

Am I misinterpreting something, or is the teacher nuts?

BTW, according to the teacher, Goldfish count as a 'healthy snack' (okay,
they are better than other choices, but if you don't consider WATER with
fruit juice flavoring as healthy, how are goldfish healthy?)

Opinions??????

I'm sure that the school gave teachers a handout
listing their definition of "healthy foods." No doubt there
are lots of bugs in the list. Bring it up with whoever's in
charge of the program at school. They're not going to work
the bugs out if no one says anything.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 8th 06, 09:51 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Tracey wrote:

The nutritional label on this product says this for ingredients: "Contains
pure filtered water, grape and pear juices from concentrate, less than 0.5%
of: raspberry, blueberrry, and strawberry juices from concentrate, calcium
citrate (calcium source), Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), natural flavors, citrus
acid (provides tartness), sucralose, acesfulfame potassium."

Am I misinterpreting something, or is the teacher nuts?

I would be really upset if a teacher denied my thirsty child a drink,
especially one I had chosen myself, because it wasn't healthy enough.
So this is not intended as a statement on the general policy, which
sounds badly thought out. However, sucralose and acesulfame potassium
are artificial sweeteners. So technically, it's not just like water
with lemon, it's like water, lemon, and a couple of packets of
Splenda/Sweet One, which are sucralose and acesulfame potassium
respectively. Does the policy prohibit foods with artificial
sweeteners? Is it possible that the teacher confused sucralose (which
ends with -ose and sounds like a real sugar) with real sugar like
sucrose?

Beth

Old September 8th 06, 09:52 PM posted to misc.kids
Tracey

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
I'm sure that the school gave teachers a handout
listing their definition of "healthy foods." No doubt there
are lots of bugs in the list. Bring it up with whoever's in
charge of the program at school. They're not going to work
the bugs out if no one says anything.

Good point. I need to have a conference with the teacher to discuss DDs
accomodations anyway, but I wanted opinions before I go in there and
complain if I'm way off base :-)

They did this program last year, but there was never any issue. I'm sure
there is a list, but I haven't seen it, and I think that there is some
interpretation by the teachers involved (last years teacher okayed Nilla
Wafers and Ritz crackers as a healthy snack, this teacher said they are not
okay)

Old September 8th 06, 09:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Tracey

wrote in message
oups.com...
However, sucralose and acesulfame potassium
are artificial sweeteners. So technically, it's not just like water
with lemon, it's like water, lemon, and a couple of packets of
Splenda/Sweet One, which are sucralose and acesulfame potassium
respectively. Does the policy prohibit foods with artificial
sweeteners? Is it possible that the teacher confused sucralose (which
ends with -ose and sounds like a real sugar) with real sugar like
sucrose?

I hadn't thought of that. But the teacher just looked at the juice pack,
the serving info is on the box here at home, so she didn't see that. She
dismissed the drink based on the fact that it said "juice blend" and 3%
juice.

Honestly, I don' tknow aht the policy prohibits, because they just said
"healthy snacks" and there was no written thing

Old September 8th 06, 09:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

HI --

If it were me, I'd write a letter to the teacher saying she may NEVER
forbid your child from eating/drinking a snack that you've sent in.
However, she is welcome to phone you or send a note home if she wishes
to question a particular snack choice **after the fact**.

THe drink you sent in sounds perfectly innocuous to me, although I
prefer (for my own kids) to send in a water bottle that has mostly water
and a bit of juice in it. (It tastes much better.)

I do like the idea of healthy snacks. It's just that (as you've seen)
different people have very different ideas about what's healthy.

Just wait for the diabetic kid to suddenly take out a Hershey bar in the
middle of class in order to stave off a blood sugar emergency ... ;-)

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old September 8th 06, 10:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Tracey" wrote in message
et...
[...]

100% pure juice is still sugar water. Not really much different than
drinking soda, from a nutrition standpoint.

Huh? Its got no sugar. If she brought in a cup of water with a slice of
lemon in it, the teacher wouldn't complain about that, but this is the
same thing. In my mind, its better for the kid to be drinking water with
a splash of juice (2 carb grams per serving, sugars less than 1g per
serving, and 5 calories) than a serving of 100% juice with a lot more
grams of sugar and calories.

The nutritional label on this product says this for ingredients:
"Contains pure filtered water, grape and pear juices from concentrate,
less than 0.5% of: raspberry, blueberrry, and strawberry juices from
concentrate, calcium citrate (calcium source), Vitamin C (ascorbic acid),
natural flavors, citrus acid (provides tartness), sucralose, acesfulfame
potassium."

Am I misinterpreting something, or is the teacher nuts?

Neither. The teacher is probably following the guidelines. I would send
nicely worded letter saying tha tthe drink is 100% juice, 100% water with
some added nutrients like vitamin C with no added sugar. While you
understand the school's push to have the kids eat and drink healthier
things, this is an example of something healthier that she should be
encouraged to drink. In fact, considering that 100% juice is sugar water, it
is far healthier than 100% juice.

BTW, according to the teacher, Goldfish count as a 'healthy snack' (okay,
they are better than other choices, but if you don't consider WATER with
fruit juice flavoring as healthy, how are goldfish healthy?)

Opinions??????

I think the school is doing the right thing overall, but needs to adjust the
guidelines by changing it from 100% juice to juice with no added sugar.

Jeff

Old September 8th 06, 10:12 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Tracey" wrote in message
. net...

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
I'm sure that the school gave teachers a handout
listing their definition of "healthy foods." No doubt there
are lots of bugs in the list. Bring it up with whoever's in
charge of the program at school. They're not going to work
the bugs out if no one says anything.

Good point. I need to have a conference with the teacher to discuss DDs
accomodations anyway, but I wanted opinions before I go in there and
complain if I'm way off base :-)

They did this program last year, but there was never any issue. I'm sure
there is a list, but I haven't seen it, and I think that there is some
interpretation by the teachers involved (last years teacher okayed Nilla
Wafers and Ritz crackers as a healthy snack, this teacher said they are
not okay)

It sounds like they need to send the parents a list of what is allowed and
what isn't.

Jeff

Old September 8th 06, 10:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

"Tracey" wrote in message
. net...

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
I'm sure that the school gave teachers a handout
listing their definition of "healthy foods." No doubt there
are lots of bugs in the list. Bring it up with whoever's in
charge of the program at school. They're not going to work
the bugs out if no one says anything.

Good point. I need to have a conference with the teacher to discuss DDs
accomodations anyway, but I wanted opinions before I go in there and
complain if I'm way off base :-)

They did this program last year, but there was never any issue. I'm sure
there is a list, but I haven't seen it, and I think that there is some
interpretation by the teachers involved (last years teacher okayed Nilla
Wafers and Ritz crackers as a healthy snack, this teacher said they are
not okay)

If there is disagreement amongst the teachers, it sounds like the teachers
might need more training. However, if the teachers are consistent in what is
allowed and what isn't within their class (even if they are different from
class to class), I think that is fine. I would rather the teachers
concentrate on math, English, science and social studies than the details of
what is considered healthy, especially when the guideline they get are
wrong, anyway (like 100% juice is really sugar water - kids like it 'cause
it's sweet).

Jeff

Old September 8th 06, 10:32 PM posted to misc.kids
JennP

"Tracey" wrote in message
. net...

:-)

They did this program last year, but there was never any issue. I'm sure
there is a list, but I haven't seen it, and I think that there is some
interpretation by the teachers involved (last years teacher okayed Nilla
Wafers and Ritz crackers as a healthy snack, this teacher said they are

not
okay)

I have to say that I don't like the idea of the whole "snack attack" think.
Sounds like a way to isolate and embarass kids who's parents might not have
packed a 100% acceptable snack.

JennP.