school snack question

Old September 9th 06, 03:58 PM posted to misc.kids
thumper

Default school snack question

DS used to go to a daycare that said to bring healthy meals (they provided
snacks), especially during the time the accreditation folks were there. I
don't know if it was a state thing or a corporate thing, this was a company
daycare.

Anyway, I only sent healthy meals at the time anyway, because he was 1-2 and
would eat anything and it's the right thing to do. But it made me laugh
because their snacks were anything but healthy: donut holes and sugary
juice for toddlers was a frequent choice! It was ok back then, as DS
wouldn't drink juice or eat donuts... but that's all changed :-O Good thing
we've moved on to a place that at least tries to do better.

Take care,
Lisa

"L." wrote in message
ps.com...

Tracey wrote:
They did this program last year, but there was never any issue. I'm sure
there is a list, but I haven't seen it, and I think that there is some
interpretation by the teachers involved (last years teacher okayed Nilla
Wafers and Ritz crackers as a healthy snack, this teacher said they are
not
okay)

Why the hell is the school dictating what your kid brings to school to
eat, anyway? Is this a private school? I *somewhat* understand "no
peanuts" (although I don't support it) for safety reasons, but this
sounds utterly ridiculous.

-L.

Old September 9th 06, 04:05 PM posted to misc.kids
carol/KR

Hi Tracey, I'm a teacher, and an author/illustrator on two kids books
which promote kids' healthy eating and snacking in school. One is Happy
Feet, Healthy Food and the other is the Treasure of Health and
Happiness.

I also have an after-school Happy Feet Kids' club and a healthy snack
program in my classroom.

Let's see. My programs have been successful and met with parent
cooperation and praise. Here are some of the "rules' that I follow.

1. I never forbid a child to eat a snack sent in from home.
2. I praise good choices which would include of course the drink you
sent in which as you know is better for your child than 100% juice
(lots of sugar).
3. I just encourage. Sometimes we have little incentive programs. I
have "fruit and vegetable" treasure chests that I send home and that go
on kids' desks. They get to color in a jewel if they bring one in.
4. My Happy Feet book only promotes good choices but it doesn't tell
the child what they can't eat.
5. I encourage families to have "treat policies", (got this idea from a
Weight Watcher book), where kids do have a treat (like ice cream,
cookies) but maybe once or twice a day at home or on certain occasions
or certain portions.
6. I practice what I preach and I only eat heatlhy foods in front of
kids.
7. Kids are happy. Parents are happy.
And you are right. Goldfish crackers are not really a great snack.

Well I am a teacher though and over the years saw kids bringing in so
much junk like HUGE bags (family size) of potato chips and always only
treats, so I started this program and club and it was very well
received and parents thank me. But again - no child is ever FORBIDDEN.
I don't take kids' snacks away. I don't make them bring in only foods
on my "list" but through teaching and positive programs my kids start
to understand the ideas of healthy eating and they seem to get joy from
it.

ONe time a parent was upset with me and she came into my classroom
before school. It seems that she and her daughter had an argument about
what to bring to snack. Her daugter wanted to bring and orange and Mom
wanted her to bring a donut. Mom thought that I was thinking her
daughter needed a diet. I had to explain that we were encouraging
healthy eating. Mom was okay then.

Old September 9th 06, 04:18 PM posted to misc.kids
Tracey

"carol/KR" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Tracey, I'm a teacher, and an author/illustrator on two kids books
which promote kids' healthy eating and snacking in school. One is Happy
Feet, Healthy Food and the other is the Treasure of Health and
Happiness.

Hi Carol,
I've met you! Last year you were at a Health/Wellness fair at one of our
local high schools. Our school district used YOUR book (Happy Feet) with
the 4th graders last year.
Tracey in CT

Old September 9th 06, 04:41 PM posted to misc.kids
carol/KR

Hi Tracey, I hope that my post helps.
I know all of this can be touchy. I believe that most public schools
in the country wrote Wellness Policies last year and maybe that's where
this teacher's new snack program is coming from.
But I don't like to see foods taken away from a child. Children and
parents need to be treated with respect.
I purposely didn't put anything "negative" in Happy Feet. I hope that
you found it helpful and positive.
In my new Treasure Book (fiction) I do have the child (and parent)
having an issue with a school healthy snack program, mostly because the
parent isn't really into this and the child (at the beginning of the
book) isn't fond of healthy foods.

But I try to keep everything positive and helpful to parents, teachers
and kids.
Thanks for letting me know you met me. I remember that Health Fair.
That school system has been very good to me - particularly the school
lunch coordinator is a wonderful woman.
Carol

Tracey wrote:
oups.com...

Old September 9th 06, 07:40 PM posted to misc.kids
user

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 14:51:45 GMT, Tracey wrote:

"L." wrote in message
ps.com...
Why the hell is the school dictating what your kid brings to school to
eat, anyway? Is this a private school? I *somewhat* understand "no
peanuts" (although I don't support it) for safety reasons, but this
sounds utterly ridiculous.

Public school, and while I think that trying to teach healthy habits and
nutrition is a good thing, I agree that they should not be dictating what
the kids bring to school to eat. It is just plain crazy.

We've just started running into this with DS, who started Kindergarten
last week.

The "approved list" for NYS schools is at http://www.nyschoolnutrition.org .

Honestly, if they're trying to tell us that the specific items
on their list are "healthy snacks", someone has been smoking some
pretty wacky cigarettes. 90% of the things that they list are,
IMHO, absolute crap, and I wouldn't let my kids near them.

If that's what NYS considers to be "healthy", I'd hate to see
what they consider to be "unhealthy." Raw lard, perhaps.

- Rich

--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
Old September 9th 06, 07:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"user" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 14:51:45 GMT, Tracey wrote:

"L." wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Makes me wonder what kickbacks the specific vendors listed have given the
school district!

- Rich

Old September 9th 06, 08:10 PM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

"Tracey" wrote in message
. com...

"deja.blues" wrote in message
Do they have a water fountain?

Down the hall, outside the classroom, but they aren't allowed to go

whenever
they want.

That sucks - ours have water fountains in the classroom by the sink.

Old September 9th 06, 08:27 PM posted to misc.kids
carol/KR

The NYC list.

That list is surprising! too many unhealthy choices on it.

Old September 9th 06, 08:56 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

user wrote in
:

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 14:51:45 GMT, Tracey
wrote:

"L." wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

could you cut & paste it please? i have no idea what to use
on an .xls file.
thanks, lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old September 9th 06, 09:07 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"carol/KR" wrote in
oups.com:

I praise good choices which would include of
course the drink you sent in which as you know is better
for your child than 100% juice (lots of sugar).

how are artificial sweeteners better for children than sugar?

I encourage families to have "treat
policies", (got this idea from a Weight Watcher book),
where kids do have a treat (like ice cream, cookies) but
maybe once or twice a day at home or on certain occasions
or certain portions.

sweets once a day, maybe, but certainly not twice &
certainly not both unless it's a special occaision like a
birthday party.
lee