breastfeeding in the news

Old September 18th 03, 10:59 AM
A&G&K

Default breastfeeding in the news

Well, Kate Langbroek breastfed her bub on national TV here last night and
there is the resultant hoo-har on the current events shows.
I could not even see any breast on the reports I saw ... the baby covered
everything. Heck I've seen Kate wear shirts that were much more revealing.
Anyway, for anybody interested in responding to the television stations, you
can vote in the polls at:

http://www.todaytonight.com.au/
and make comment at:
http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/default.asp

I've written letters to each of the stations in liew of voting ... basically
stating that bf requires positive publicity and not some 60 year old moron
(a man) stating that "mothers should organise themselves better so they
don't have to get out their bits" ... and another stating that it should be
confined to within the home.
(All women polled were happy about public breastfeeding). I've suggested
that they do some stories on the positive health benefits of bf since one of
them did a recent story on obesity ....

Cheers
Amanda

Old September 18th 03, 03:05 PM
azure

"A&G&K" wrote in message
[...]

Ack, the whole thing gives me the ****s! Organise a 2 month old baby to not
be fed on demand ... just goes to show people have no bloody idea! I can't
reliably expect my 5.5 month old to go that long, especially at that hour of
the night. I guess I should cloister myself away until my beauty weans
herself, probably as the result of boredom!

I think your suggestion about the positives of breastfeeding is great -
those current affairs programs are always doing some big revelation type
beat-up of the next weight loss cure or baldness cure or cancer beater,
maybe they could turn their focus to something actually proven! They could
make it quite dramatic with all their experts and testimonials without
revealing what it is until the end.

The reality of breastfeeding is just not accepted in our society - that you
do it frequently, that it can be difficult to conquer, that it's not just
for newborns, instead we make it all about tits.

The attachment and alternate parenting group I go to is making up some
t-shirts to raise money for a stand at a baby expo. I was going to have one
that read "I'd rather be breastfeeding", now I think on the back it should
read something like "...on The Panel"! LOL

Cheers,

Leah

ps - I hope noone minds if I post a link here with the t-shirts when they're
ready - there will be lots of breastfeeding slogans, including extended
breastfeeding. Co-sleeping, cloth nappies, baby wearing and gentle
discipline also : ) Profits to promote support for AP.

---

Old September 18th 03, 05:12 PM
Andrea

I voted yes, and this raises an issue for me. I was travelling on a Virgin
train, and I was asked to move to a toilet to breastfeed! When I declined
and told him "how would you like to eat dinner in a toilet thats blocked and
smelly? that's unhygenic!",the train worker came back and offered me the
compartment where bicycles are kept to feed my son! I am in the process of
complaining. I am in the UK and am not sure of the law, I should find out as
this is my 5th baby i'm feeding.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 16lbs 5 (7lbs 9 and a half
born).

Old September 18th 03, 06:45 PM
Dawn Lawson

Andrea wrote:
I voted yes, and this raises an issue for me. I was travelling on a Virgin
train, and I was asked to move to a toilet to breastfeed! When I declined
and told him "how would you like to eat dinner in a toilet thats blocked and
smelly? that's unhygenic!",the train worker came back and offered me the
compartment where bicycles are kept to feed my son! I am in the process of
complaining. I am in the UK and am not sure of the law, I should find out as
this is my 5th baby i'm feeding.

I've bfd on trains in England without comment or problem. (and in
restarants and on the move, and in parks....etc, etc.) Was there
someone who was complaining about you bfding? Since he "came back" it
sounds as if he went to report your refusal to nurse in the toilet
(which, btw, phrase does NOT work in North America...you'd ahve wet
feet) to someone "superior" and the bike storage area was the compromise.

Dawn

Old September 18th 03, 11:42 PM
Michelle Podnar

I get to the main site, how do I find the article that you are commenting
on?

Thanks,

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002

Old September 19th 03, 04:20 AM
A&G&K

.. .

"A&G&K" wrote in message
[...]

On the today tonight site it *was* in the upper right corner (poll) last
night (may have changed today), and on ACA, I actually just e-mailed in my
complaint about giving bf another sensationalisic story instead of focussing
on all the positives.
HTH
Amanda

Old September 19th 03, 02:19 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"A&G&K" wrote in message
[...]

Bluch. J Lo's shirt at the awards last year did not bother hiding anything.
But BFing is bad? People are weird.

Old September 19th 03, 05:03 PM
Regina Diacopoulos

In message , Andrea
writes
I voted yes, and this raises an issue for me. I was travelling on a Virgin
train, and I was asked to move to a toilet to breastfeed! When I declined
and told him "how would you like to eat dinner in a toilet thats blocked and
smelly? that's unhygenic!",the train worker came back and offered me the
compartment where bicycles are kept to feed my son! I am in the process of
complaining. I am in the UK and am not sure of the law, I should find out as
this is my 5th baby i'm feeding.

How wierd. I've fed my baby on Great Eastern trains loads of times and
never had a problem. I've also seen another mum feeding her baby on the
train as well. Definitely complain.
--
Regina
Old September 21st 03, 04:00 AM
A & L Lane

"Stephanie Stowe" wrote in message
. ..

"A&G&K" wrote in message
[...]

I tried to vote but the poll had disappeared and then tried to watch A
Current Afair to see the result of the poll but missed it but the original
story made me very steamed up. The little bit of footage I saw showed a
babies head and no breast at all - what's the problem. We were watching SBS
last night at tea time (approx 7:30pm) and saw a promo for an upcoming show
with a topless women on the beach - it didnt bother me (or ds/dh) at all but
it is annoying that society thinks that is ok but bf at 10:30pm is
dreadfully offensive?? There is something wrong here. I've seen more
breast in a little snippet of footage showing families cuddling on
Playschool - a really lovely close-up shot of a baby nursing that I hope
corrupts every little mind that sees it. Maybe I'd better not mention it or
the Thought Police will censor that bit out.

cheers
Leah