Getting a one year old ready for a sibling

Old March 30th 04, 04:42 PM
ted

Default Getting a one year old ready for a sibling

Does anyone know how a one and half year old baby reacts to having a
brand new sibling? She herself is still a baby and she's pampered very
well. I was wondering if there's a way to get her used to the idea of
another baby. Will she have jealousy/possessiveness at such a tiny
age? If we encourage her to "play" with infants now will that help?
She's one now and will have a baby brother/sister in 5 months.

Thanks.
Old March 30th 04, 05:46 PM
Sophie

"ted" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know how a one and half year old baby reacts to having a
brand new sibling? She herself is still a baby and she's pampered very
well. I was wondering if there's a way to get her used to the idea of
another baby. Will she have jealousy/possessiveness at such a tiny
age? If we encourage her to "play" with infants now will that help?
She's one now and will have a baby brother/sister in 5 months.

Thanks.

Charlotte was 16 months old when her brother was born. We didn't do
anything special. She always wanted to sit and read a book when I was
feeding her brother. So be prepared for that. We had no jealousy issues,
never did with any of the kids when a sibling was born. Till the baby could
crawl and touch their toys. No one had a baby for her to play with. I don't
think that's necessary. I would get your husband to do more with her now
(like dinner, bath, and bedtime) cos you'll be busy with the baby.

Personally I think she'll be fine cos she doesn't know any other way.

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old March 30th 04, 06:19 PM
Sue

Jenny was 18 months old when Kara was born. I didn't really do too much
because she simply didn't understand what was going on. I didn't have any
jealousy issues until they were older and now has hit its peak at ages 8
and 7. I'm not really sure there is much you can do, but you can talk about
babies and being a sister, but I'm not sure how much she is going to get out
of it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

om...

Old March 30th 04, 11:08 PM
Kelly

"ted" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know how a one and half year old baby reacts to having a
brand new sibling? She herself is still a baby and she's pampered very
well. I was wondering if there's a way to get her used to the idea of
another baby. Will she have jealousy/possessiveness at such a tiny
age? If we encourage her to "play" with infants now will that help?
She's one now and will have a baby brother/sister in 5 months.

Thanks.

My eldest was 15 and a half months when the baby was born.. While I was
pregnant we spent a lot of time discussing that I was having a baby and she
used to feel my tummy and feel kicks and movement.. I also bought a lot of
new books (she loves books) so that when I was getting ready to b'feed I
would get her a new exciting book and she would sit beside us and read the
book (point at the pictures and say cow, horse, moo, neigh etc)... I also
let her have a good look at me b'feeding and things so she didn't
wonder/think that the baby had more fun (she doesn't like milk really, so it
was fairly easy).. The hardest thing that she had to deal with was that
she now had to share her beloved grandmother with someone else..

It's amazing how they adjust, so easily.. I know she can't remember life
without Isabella and she will do cute things like wonder up and kiss her
head and say Love you Bella - which warms your heart.. I do have to referee
fights over toys, but we just talk about sharing..

One thing I found hard to deal with was when the baby got a bit older and
could sit up and play, I felt all I ever did was tell Emily to stop doing
things.. As realised that Isabella would play with her toys, she would just
take the toy off her.. We had many discussions about sharing, explaining
that Isabella can play with the toys and she has to wait till she is
finished... We still have these issues every now and again, but atleast
Isabella gets in trouble sometimes as well now...

Kelly in Oz
Mummy to Emily 31mths and Isabella 15mths