pregnant..nursing a 14 mo...miserable...tired

Old August 29th 03, 11:09 PM
BABYGINAVIE

Default pregnant..nursing a 14 mo...miserable...tired

I just found out I am pregnant (about 6 weeks). I am still nursing our 14
month old and she shows no signs of wanting to be weaned. She drinks from a
straw and a cup and eats every kind of food imaginable. I have an 8 year old
who didn't wean until 2-1/2 - I always say that I had to wait until the age of
reason because I have no idea how to wean these little breastfeeders. Ah, but
now, I am pregnant and more fatigued than ever with the other two. I feel like
I may have an iron deficiency because I am nursing as well as needing nutrients
for the pregnancy. I do not eat very much because I am soooo nauseated most of
the time. Needless to say, I am quite depressed and find myself crying
constantly. I realize some of this is hormonal but I am just worried that all
my nutrients are going out and none are coming in. Any
advice...suggestions...similar plights?

Old August 30th 03, 12:19 AM
Nina

"BABYGINAVIE" wrote in message
[...]

I weaned my 18 month old because I was pregnant and it hurt too much. I know
plenty of people tandem nurse, but weaning was best for me. I'd just try to
stop him gradually. Good luck!

Old August 30th 03, 04:08 AM
Nikki

BABYGINAVIE wrote:
I just found out I am pregnant (about 6 weeks). I am still nursing
our 14 month old and she shows no signs of wanting to be weaned. She
drinks from a straw and a cup and eats every kind of food imaginable.
I have an 8 year old who didn't wean until 2-1/2 - I always say that
I had to wait until the age of reason because I have no idea how to
wean these little breastfeeders. Ah, but now, I am pregnant and more
fatigued than ever with the other two. I feel like I may have an
iron deficiency because I am nursing as well as needing nutrients for
the pregnancy. I do not eat very much because I am soooo nauseated
most of the time. Needless to say, I am quite depressed and find
myself crying constantly. I realize some of this is hormonal but I
am just worried that all my nutrients are going out and none are
coming in. Any advice...suggestions...similar plights?

Well I was exactly where you are when I was pregnant with Luke so I know how
miserable it is. First, I wouldn't worry one second about nutrients. Eat
as much as you can and take your prenatals. Second, if you can hang on
through the first half of the pregancy some women report that it gets better
after that and they go on to nurse both the toddler and the new baby and say
it is great. That wasn't really for me. I thought I would do that before I
got pregnant but it was to rough for me. My advice on weaning. If you can
hang in there for a couple months it will be easier. My toddler did not
want to wean. I tried with disasterous results. At 5 months pregnant my
milk supply tanked (quite common) and he was really quite easy to wean then.

Hang in there and don't hesitate to post any time you need support. There
are both women that have weaned and women that have found ways to continue
nursing here.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 30th 03, 10:16 AM
Tine Andersen

I was very tired during both my first trimesters - at 13 weeks it
disappeared miraculously within days. If you can stand it for 8 weeks it may
vanish over days.

Tine, Denmark

Old August 30th 03, 03:57 PM
BABYGINAVIE

Thank you for posting responses to my disheartened message. It helps to
believe it will go away but it's also very difficult to believe it ever truly
will let up. The emotional roller-coaster, the debilitating exhaustion...I
don't even feel capable of taking care of my 14 month old. I feel so sorry for
her. I am functioning at a catatonic level. My DH really doesn't understand.
Even going as far as comparing me to his sister, who has three children...of
course, she can do it, why can't I?
Old August 30th 03, 08:48 PM
Irene

[...]

I feel for you, I really do. I'm about 8 weeks pregnant and still
nursing a 2 year old. It can be hard, but he's probably not nursing
as much as a 14 month old (tho you never know!) I would definitely
eat what you have cravings for - I sometimes eat an awful lot of red
meat! And remind your husband that you are growing a baby, and that
growing a baby is a lot of hard work and you need your rest, and he
needs to help you out a lot. And as someone suggested, make sure you
take your prenatals. If you are seriously concerned about anemia, you
can always get a blood test.

Hang in there!

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01
#2 EDD 4/10/04
Old August 31st 03, 05:54 AM
She's A Goddess

"BABYGINAVIE" wrote in message
Needless to say, I am quite depressed and find myself crying
constantly. I realize some of this is hormonal but I am just worried that

all
my nutrients are going out and none are coming in. Any
advice...suggestions...similar plights?

BTDT, and it really, really sucked. Are you taking prenatals? I only took
them during that really miserable feeling time with my second pregnancy and
I do think that they helped. I can't say for sure since I've only done a
second pregnancy while nursing, but in the aftermath I think a lot of how I
felt was just how I was going to feel being pregnant and caring for a
toddler. Here's hoping you feel better before too long!
--
Rhiannon
Madison Sophia - 9/6/01

Old August 31st 03, 09:14 AM
Kereru

"BABYGINAVIE" wrote in message
Thank you for posting responses to my disheartened message. It helps to
believe it will go away but it's also very difficult to believe it ever

truly
will let up. The emotional roller-coaster, the debilitating

exhaustion...I
don't even feel capable of taking care of my 14 month old. I feel so

sorry for
her. I am functioning at a catatonic level.

This worries me, if you really don't feel up to looking after your little
one then you need to talk to your doctor. Find out what the problem really
is whether it be low iron, depression, diet or the effects of breastfeeding
your toddler. That way you can make an informed decision about what to do
next. You need to do what is best for you and your daughter. Your daughter
needs you to be a functioning human being more than anything else.

Judy

..

Old September 2nd 03, 06:32 PM
Lisa Besko

M,

This sounds very familar to me. I'm about 23 weeks along and still
nursing my 22 month old. I was doing the crying all the time and
feeling contantly tired thing as well. When he got fifth's disease it
pushed me a bit farther. My OB suggested Zoloft. I've been alot better
since then. Now that the headaches of early pg are over I think I feel
better than I did with my 1st pg.

The way I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong)...the baby get's what
it needs 1st, then nutrients go to nursing and you get what's left.

Keep in touch. This has been very trying for me as well but my DS is
not ready to wean. Especially not now when he's cutting the *&^% 2 year
molars.

LB

BABYGINAVIE wrote:
I just found out I am pregnant (about 6 weeks). I am still nursing our 14
month old and she shows no signs of wanting to be weaned. She drinks from a
straw and a cup and eats every kind of food imaginable. I have an 8 year old
who didn't wean until 2-1/2 - I always say that I had to wait until the age of
reason because I have no idea how to wean these little breastfeeders. Ah, but
now, I am pregnant and more fatigued than ever with the other two. I feel like
I may have an iron deficiency because I am nursing as well as needing nutrients
for the pregnancy. I do not eat very much because I am soooo nauseated most of
the time. Needless to say, I am quite depressed and find myself crying
constantly. I realize some of this is hormonal but I am just worried that all
my nutrients are going out and none are coming in. Any
advice...suggestions...similar plights?

Lisa L.W. Besko SCNC Voice : 517-432-4040
Systems Analyst SCNC E-mail :
SCNC Support Voice : 517-355-4500 x.195
Michigan State University E-Mail :

Old September 2nd 03, 06:36 PM
Lisa Besko

Maybe DH needs a reminder that we are all different. Each baby is
different, each dad is different and so is each Mom.

Or you can give him the, well I guess I'm not as good as she is so I
will have to count on her brother for support since he has the "good"
genes.

My gf has 4 kids and handles things well but her kids are very different
in nature than my one. She and her DH get exhausted watching ours play.

LB