Bitten Baby's 3 Siblings Taken By State

Old August 5th 04, 04:46 PM
wexwimpy

Default Bitten Baby's 3 Siblings Taken By State

Bitten Baby's 3 Siblings Taken By State

By STEPHEN THOMPSON
Published: Aug 5, 2004

SEMINOLE - For the first time since his 2-week-old daughter was
critically injured by his sister's part-wolf dog, Greg Pound went to
All Children's Hospital on Wednesday to see the newborn.

The 48-year-old tree trimmer was greeted at the front door by child
protection workers who took into custody his three other young
children.

Citing confidentiality laws, authorities said only that the children -
two girls, ages 4 and 2, plus a 3-year-old boy - had been in living in
an unsafe environment.

However, authorities confirmed they took a look at the children's
living situation after 2-week-old Suzanna Pound was picked up by a
66-pound wolf-hybrid named Spirit on Monday afternoon at the Pound
household, 9166 Sunrise Drive.

``I think it's disgraceful,'' Elaine Isaacs, Greg Pound's aunt, said
of the state taking the children into protective custody. ``It's an
accident, and they're trying to make something more out of it.''

Suzanna remained in critical condition Wednesday. Before his three
other children were taken, Greg Pound said Suzanna suffered two skull
fractures, but doctors were optimistic because at that age a person's
skull is pliable. The newborn also lost a lot of blood, he said.

Also on Wednesday, Spirit was put down after the Florida Fish and
Wildlife Conservation Commission confirmed the canine was a
wolf-hybrid. With a wolf-hybrid, the animal must be euthanized if it
bites someone because there is no rabies vaccine for such creatures,
said Kenny Mitchell, director of veterinary services for Pinellas
County Animal Services.

Suzanna was grabbed by Spirit, Greg Pound said, after his sister Diane
left the door open to the bedroom where Suzanna was left unattended.

Isaacs said Diane usually kept Spirit and another dog in the back
yard.

But it was raining and thundering, she said, so Diane brought them
inside.

Even before their children were born, Greg Pound and his wife,
Melissa, 33, lived for years in the four-bedroom home on Sunrise Drive
that is owned by Pound's mother, Eleanore, 80, Isaacs said. Eleanore
Pound also has two Shih Tzus.

Then, four or five months ago, Diane Pound arrived from Michigan with
her two dogs.

Diane Pound, 45, initially didn't want Spirit euthanized, Mitchell
said. She denied the dog was a wolf-hybrid; she described him as part
German shepherd, part chow and part Alaskan malamute.

On Wednesday, after much persuasion by an animal control worker
investigating the incident, and after at least some of her family
members wanted the animal put down, she relented and agreed not to
fight Spirit's destruction.
http://news.tbo.com/news/MGBIA6Y8IXD.html

Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.
Old August 6th 04, 08:11 PM
Kane

It appears the Plant Subject line ploy is well represented by the
press.

This child was more than "bitten." And the family WAS responsible.

wexwimpy wrote in message . ..
[...]

They had toddlers and other dogs.

``I think it's disgraceful,'' Elaine Isaacs, Greg Pound's aunt, said
of the state taking the children into protective custody. ``It's an
accident, and they're trying to make something more out of it.''

A dog being allowed access to an infant and causing two skull
fractures and a serious amount of blood loss, is "an accident?"

Wolf hybrid stories like this are not rare. Such animals do NOT have
the thousands of years of domestication breeding for human
compatibility traits....it's just that simple. The animal is still
"wild" and it is no "accident" they are bred or owned. It was a stupid
choice.

I happen to like wolves. There are a pair in my neighborhood raising
pups...but I do NOT leave my cat out at night, nor my dogs running
loose to encounter them. And when we hike we are armed. In fact I
don't garden on my own place without being armed. Thus I am not having
any "accidents" I'm the cause of.

We also have bears, and mountain lions here. I don't try to
domesticate them.

We can thank Walt Disney and others that try to make animals appear
capable of human thought, emotion, and values.

Suzanna remained in critical condition Wednesday. Before his three
other children were taken, Greg Pound said Suzanna suffered two skull
fractures, but doctors were optimistic because at that age a person's
skull is pliable. The newborn also lost a lot of blood, he said.

The children were removed before the hybrid was put down, I suspect.
And CPS cannot know that another such wolf-dog isn't owned by the
people, or that they would not replace the one they've lost. I've seen
people do stupider things.

Also on Wednesday, Spirit was put down after the Florida Fish and
Wildlife Conservation Commission confirmed the canine was a
wolf-hybrid. With a wolf-hybrid, the animal must be euthanized if it
bites someone because there is no rabies vaccine for such creatures,
said Kenny Mitchell, director of veterinary services for Pinellas
County Animal Services.

Suzanna was grabbed by Spirit, Greg Pound said, after his sister Diane
left the door open to the bedroom where Suzanna was left unattended.

The animal owner let the door open and let, as you can see below, the
animal into the house.

That appears to be considerably more than an accident.

Isaacs said Diane usually kept Spirit and another dog in the back
yard.

But it was raining and thundering, she said, so Diane brought them
inside.

And the incapcity of this woman to judge safety issues for children is
clearly demonstrated.

I officially state, for any and all to notice, I approve of and defend
the actions of CPS in this instance, given the information we have to
this point.

Even before their children were born, Greg Pound and his wife,
Melissa, 33, lived for years in the four-bedroom home on Sunrise Drive
that is owned by Pound's mother, Eleanore, 80, Isaacs said. Eleanore
Pound also has two Shih Tzus.

Then, four or five months ago, Diane Pound arrived from Michigan with
her two dogs.

Diane Pound, 45, initially didn't want Spirit euthanized, Mitchell
said. She denied the dog was a wolf-hybrid; she described him as part
German shepherd, part chow and part Alaskan malamute.

Bull****. That's been tried before. And even if true, those that let
even small dogs have unsupervised access to infants are negligent. The
very nature of dogs and the way they discipline their own pups, by
instinct, is deadly to human children.

Pups instictively, when grabbed by the head in the mouth of a dog,
(typical handling by adult dogs of puppies...they will even carry them
that way) go limp and still. Human babies struggle. The dog's instinct
would be to clamp down harder. A wolf hybrid? The same behavior is
noted in wolves.

On Wednesday, after much persuasion by an animal control worker
investigating the incident, and after at least some of her family
members wanted the animal put down, she relented and agreed not to
fight Spirit's destruction.
http://news.tbo.com/news/MGBIA6Y8IXD.html

Thus exhibiting her relative capacity for decision making on the
safety of children. She has none.

The dog that saved me 18 month old daughter's life from a pack of wild
dogs, when much later in life he just growled at a kid..I kicked his
ass all the way across the front yard...and back. He was a dog. He
threatened a human. Had he bitten that child...a nasty mean little
brat by the way, I'd have put my dog down on the spot myself.

Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.

Defend your "liberty interest" in owning dangerous dogs you do not
supervise adequately and your right to have your children seriously
injured or killed by them. 0;-

Right Plant?

Kane
Old August 8th 04, 05:08 PM
Fern5827

Default Bitten Baby's 3 Siblings Taken By State MA DSS & Rottweiler

A foster child was mauled to DEATH in Massachusetts around 3 years ago.

Documented on this NG.

The boy was 5 years old, and was attacke and killed by a Rottweiler which the
foster family owned.

Wonder if their bio children were taken away?

Old August 8th 04, 10:16 PM
Sherman

"Fern5827" wrote in message
A foster child was mauled to DEATH in Massachusetts around 3 years ago.

Documented on this NG.

The boy was 5 years old, and was attacke and killed by a Rottweiler which

the
foster family owned.

Wonder if their bio children were taken away?

Were they? Is this home a licensed foster care home today? Is yours?

Sherman.

Old August 24th 04, 09:32 PM
Shy_Wolf

FYI, the dog that bit this child was NOT a hybrid. It was a German
Shepherd according to the owners. AC decided it was a wolf hybrid
though because it howled and had "skinny legs." This is NOT proof
enough to proove that it was part wolf, my neighbor's boxer howled and
had skinny legs! (I saw pics of this so called "wolf hybrid" and it
looked exactly like a white German Shepherd, no obvious wolf traits
what-soever.) Either way, it shouldn't have been left alone with a
child that young and small.

--Shy_Wolf--