The Greed Factor

Old November 11th 03, 02:33 AM
Melvin Gamble

Default The Greed Factor

Punctuation, spelling, grammar - they've all been tossed aside as
subordinate to the proper "feeling" in academia today..

Mel Gamble

Gini52 wrote:

In article , says...

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:38:11 -0500, "Cameron Stevens"
wrote:

"Fighting for kids" adf wrote in message
news Oh I can prove it look at other posts ive made with statistical
information
in them.

You really need to use punctuation.

There's some truth to every single post here. There are NCPs under the thumb
of the system, there are NCPs that deserve the pressure and there are many
more that don't. There are CPs that abuse the system's power for their own
purposes (beit revenge or greed). The fact is that NO SYSTEM does not solve
the problem and the system AS IT STANDS is part of the problem.

There's a lack of fairness in the system because it costs too much to manage
each case, it's easier to simply treat every NCP as a deadbeat and while
there are great NCPs out there and a good number of NCPs that would rather
be EQUAL CPs.

Personally I'd take the CP plunge right now if I could afford the luxuries
of a vehicle and working 4-6 hours a day for the City. I can't, that doesn't
make me a bad father. I pay my support faithfully each month, ahead of the
schedule. Why? Because I'm not a deadbeat. Do I agree with the amount, not
always I think it's been inflated because of the mis-understanding that the
CP is less capable of earning an equal or greater paycheck.

GREED is the factor on both sides, FFK and Paul Fritz are both right to some
extent. There are NCPs and CPs out there that are both good and bad
examples. The reality is the media and attention is paid to the bad in any
group.

Finding the solution involves first accepting that the system is necessary
and that it must change.

Cameron

So do you, NCP's not NCP

===
Incorrect. The apostrophe indicates possession, not plurality.
I noticed you had that wrong on your website as well. You are not using the
apostrophe when required for contractions and use it incorrectly in the
application of simple plurality. I can't believe your comp profs let you get
away with this.
===
===

Old November 11th 03, 03:48 AM
Gini52

In article , Melvin Gamble says...

Punctuation, spelling, grammar - they've all been tossed aside as
subordinate to the proper "feeling" in academia today..

====
Not around here. My husband keeps a big jar of red pens on his desk and must
replenish frequently--even though the mistakes he's correcting *should* have
been corrected before the students left high school. (I was ecstatic one day
when I ran across a closeout of red pens at Staples.:-)
====
====

Old November 11th 03, 01:54 PM
Cameron Stevens

wrote:

"Fighting for kids" adf wrote in message
news
Oh I can prove it look at other posts ive made with statistical

information
in them.

You really need to use punctuation.

So do you, NCP's not NCP

Ahem,

Apostrophes are used to form plurals of letters that appear in lowercase;
here the rule appears to be more typographical than grammatical, e.g. "three
ps" versus "three p's." To form the plural of a lowercase letter, place 's
after the letter. There is no need for apostrophes indicating a plural on
capitalized letters, numbers, and symbols (though keep in mind that some
editors, teachers, and professors still prefer them).
from: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handou...r/g_apost.html

Old November 12th 03, 10:06 AM
Melvin Gamble

I know this is off-topic somewhat, but I have to ask: Are the classes
he's teaching ones where proper English is germaine to the class, like
"English 101" or a writing class, or is he demanding correct spelling
and usage in classes where that isn't the focus of the class? If the
latter, give him a heartfelt "thank you" from me, please....

Mel Gamble

Old November 12th 03, 01:08 PM
Gini52

In article , Melvin Gamble says...

I know this is off-topic somewhat, but I have to ask: Are the classes
he's teaching ones where proper English is germaine to the class, like
"English 101" or a writing class, or is he demanding correct spelling
and usage in classes where that isn't the focus of the class? If the
latter, give him a heartfelt "thank you" from me, please....

=====
Will do. He teaches history. Most of the profs I've had demand proper
grammar/spelling on papers regardless of the class. Comp. 101 should be the
first required college class. OTOH, those kids should have learned how to write
a complete sentence in elementary school but, many haven't. Many don't even use
a spellchecker. My husband has much more patience with them than I do. I
wouldn't read through a 10 page paper marking all the spelling/grammar/structure
errors, although I have helped him out with that when he's on overload. If it
were my class, I would require a rewrite or give them a 'D.' (That's a sure-fire
way to reduce class load ;-)
=====
=====

Mel Gamble