"dead beat" parent round-up

Old April 4th 04, 12:38 AM
NoWhere

Default "dead beat" parent round-up

"AZ Astrea" wrote in message ...
Just heard on the news they pulled another "round-up of dead beat parents"
here in Tucson. They named it "Operation Child-support". Channel 4 news
reported all the standard "politically correct" bull**** and used the term
"dead beat parents". I guess that's more 'correct' than dead beat dads but
no matter what, the reality is that out of the 21 people still sitting in
jail as of this evening, (the "round-up" was at 5am), there is *one* woman.
The token woman.

I'm writing an e-mail to Channel 4 (www.kvoa.com) , hoping to enlighten them
a little as to the reality of dead-broke dads. I can't find the story on
their website yet. They just aired it so maybe it's not on it yet.

With all the talented writers and ranters we have here I'm hoping we can all
send them a bit of enlightening e-mail. Who knows? Maybe somebody will be
listening?

~AZ~

Channel 13 showed a video clip of one deadbeat parent being taken away
in handcuffs. SHE -- a deadbeat MOM -- had a very sour look on her
face.

And then there was the case of a dad who refused to pay child support
because he was not allowed to see his child. He saved the monthly
payments under a “Get Out of Jail” card from a Monopoly
game under the walkway in his front yard.
Old April 4th 04, 12:43 AM
AZ Astrea

"Mysonsfather (AKA ZonaHawk)" wrote in
message news:PXobc.22191$Q45.10284@fed1read02...
As a fellow Tucsonan, I am pleased to hear about your letter to kvoa. I
didn't see the report on channel 4 but I sure heard about it at work

today.
I was also prompted to write a letter, not only to KVOA, but also to our
state Rep Kolbe, who has yet to respond to any of my letters and emails
regarding child support issues. Keep up the faith.

Michael

-------------------------------------
I have gotten tons of responses from Congressmen when I have sent the ACLU
action alert letters. I would send letters to them all the time if I felt I
could write a letter without ranting and raving. I know it's hard to be
taken seriously when you start calling DCS nazi's and such but I have a hard
time keeping my cool with a subject I am so passionate about. I am less
concerned about how KVOA sees me and while I tried to keep it down I know I
did a bit of ranting.
Oh well, they'll consider it or they won't.

~AZ~
(a fellow Tucsonan.....cool)

Old April 4th 04, 12:47 AM
NoWhere

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message hlink.net...

1.) Contacting women's crisis center advocates to do a story on domestic
violence but not interviewing any men's rights advocates who would point out
abuse is split nearly 50/50 between the genders.

One of the local talk radio stations will not run stuff on DV with
women only viewed as victims anymore. Everytime they did in the past,
I called up to protest. By doing so many more men ended up calling up
to report that they were victims of DV. Kinda put a damper on the
radio station's PC view of DV.

Old April 4th 04, 12:56 AM
AZ Astrea

"Werebat" wrote in message ...
AZ Astrea wrote:

"Gini52" wrote in message
..
In article , AZ Astrea says...

[...]

==============
Ya know, I've been wanting to do this for years and never seem to find

the
time/motivation (I confess). You are right--We do need a bevy of

well-written
editable(?)letters posted here that could be sent to various media

/government
outlets. Umm...Kenneth? :-)

----------------------------
I agree. I have started and stopped over and over a 'standardized'

letter
that could be used for that purpose but I am not as good a writer as

many
here. I receive the ACLU action alerts that are letters about various
subjects that I can add comments to and then I send it to my Congressmen

via
fax or e-mail. These letters are well written, they don't sound like
ranting and raving yet they get the point across very well. If you want

see some examples go to the ACLU website at www.aclu.org and check them

out.
Can anybody here write a right-to-the-point type letter without using

the
terms propaganda or nazis? I couldn't.

What you want is a little of your own propaganda, that doesn't look like
such.

Feed me the facts you want presented and I could write you anything.

------------------
Basically I was hoping to get them, (KVOA), to realize that they are doing a
disservice by reporting only one side of the 'deadbeat' dad story and to
pique their interest with a few facts about the deadbroke dad. I feel
irritated when all they do is regurgitate whatever DCS tells them and never
delve into just why those dads are not paying cs. Like the fact that most
of the men targeted by this round-up are unemployed or living below the
poverty level themself. Why *don't* they pay? Because they *can't* pay.

The DCS spokesman was saying how the round-up was a success because they
collected Xthouands of dollars that would now go directly to the children.
There are just so many things wrong with that statement it just galls me.

~AZ~

I'll post a copy of the e-mail I sent.

Cool.

- Ron ^*^