India's Birth Story (long and drawn out)

Old October 24th 03, 10:21 AM
Nina

Default India's Birth Story (long and drawn out)

Gee, where do I start?

Well, its been a lonnnng year. My husband is in Iraq, been there since April
and will be there till next April. So I am here with the kids and its hard,
I dont know many people. I was very concerned about my kids, I was afraid
I'd go into labor and there's be no one around to take care of them.

By my 8th month I arranged for some help, I contacted a doula via Operation
Doula Care. They arrange for free doula assistance for mothers whose
husbands are in Iraq and who have no family support. I also got in touch
with a few members of the FRG (Family Readiness Group) and got some numbers
of other wives who were willing to help out in case I needed it. My husbands
batallion commanders wife volunteered to be my coach or take pics or
whatever, so I also got her number. THEN, my father arranged to fly out here
and help. Phew!

So, the 11th I spend most of the day cleaning so that my father wouldnt
think we were all pigs here. I cleaned MOST of the house, no small feat,
then the front yard. I was quite tired, Sunday I rested. Monday I tried to
rest, but the kids had no school. Monday night my son, the one who is
autistic, couldnt sleep, I suppose it was the excitement of having my father
here. So I got maybe 2 hours of sleep that night. I lost my military ID so
went to get one on Tuesday but couldnt find the place until it was too late
and I had to go home to meet the kids bus. Wednesday I had to take soin to
get labs done and I also got my ID card. That night son woke up at 3 am and
stayed up allllllll night. So Thursday I was TIRED.
Thursday afternoon around 6:30 my daughter was riding her bike and collided
with a teen playing footbal, she was knocked from the bike and I had to take
her to the hospital. After about 3 hours it was determined that she had a
small fracture in her skull and a tiny bleed. They had to transfer her to
Childrens Hospital in Denver. So Im torn, my son and father are in the
waiting room and I have to go to Denver. We couldnt figure out how to
arrange it, so finally I took my father and son home, packed some stuff adn
then drove back to the ER. From there I rode in the ambulance to Denver. We
got there at midnight. I got a little sleep on and off, they had a recliner
in the observation room so I could lie down and sleep. But my daughter was
awake on and off, so I didnt get much. After she was discharged I was told I
had to find my own way home. UNFORTUNATELY, I dropped my wallet in my car
and didnt have it! I did have a checkbook I'd syashed in my backpack,s o I
cashed a check at the hospital. THen I had to wait till 3 pm, so I could
take Greyhound home. So I sleep on and off in the recliner. At 3 take a taxi
to the station, at 4 take the bus to the Springs. I got here at 6 or so,
basically a 24 hour trip.My mother tells me via phone that I need to sleep
so I dont risk going into labor tired as hell. (I'd called her earlier and
said that it had just occured to me that I could continue functioning being
as tired as I was, but that I wouldnt be able to go thru labor so I needed
to start resting a LOT more)

So Im wired, I go to sleep Friday night and when I wake up Saturday there is
some bloody mucus in my underwear. I took a bath and there was also some
left in the tub (ick) I'd never really had this before, so I called L&D and
they tell me not to be concerned unless I bleed enough to soak a pad.I also
felt around and my cervix was pretty mushy and dilated a little. I called my
mother and sister and informed them, my mother told me to rest. So I went
about my business for the day. I had a feeling I would go into labor, I was
just feeling antsy and wanted to do stuff. I took a long nap then went to
the hospital to get my wallet, which I'd lost Thursday. I then went to
Walmart, got a nursing bra , some playing cards, and some small grocery
items. I went home and cooked. In the middle of frying plantains and talking
to my father, I felt a little prick in my cervix area. NExt thing I feel a
gush. I say "My water just broke" and turn and walk to my room. My father
says 'Your water broke? YOu mean like youre going to have a baby?"/ "Yes" I
reply.

Well, this is all new to me. So Im not sure what to do. My other kids were
41 and 42 weekers and I was induced, so I wasnt prepared to just go into
labor. Im in my room hopping around trying to dry off, I have towels between
my legs and I cant find ANY underwear. THen the phone rings, so I answer it
and tell my friend my water broke and I gotta go. I end up getting a pair of
my husbands underwear and swipe a depends pad from the diaper bag. THen I
call the hospital and ask what to do. THey tell me to take a shower and come
in.So, I decided to clean my room. I strip the bed,and arrange stuff. I want
it to be CLEAN when I get back.

Its about 9:30 pm, I call the commanders wife who doesnt know how to get to
the house. So I dont take a shower, because she decides to drive to the
WalMArt near my house and then call for directions. Meanwhile, I cant think.
SO I cannot figure out where the doula's number is. I never put it in my
phone book and couldnt seem to find it on my Caller ID. Eventually Robin,
the commanders wife, gets here and then I take a shower and we leave.

At the hospital they monitor me and then do the little test for amniotic
fluid. Its positive (duh). The nurse does an internal exam and cant figure
out what she's feeling. My cervix is pretty far back and hard to find, so
she's digging in there. She cant determine WHAT shes feeling still, so I
wait for the DR. She comes and examines me and THINKS she's feeling a mouth.
Im like "She's face first?" , she says that she seems to be and if she is we
wont even attempt labor and just do a c-section. She gets the portable
ultrasound machine and does one. "She's breech" she says. "****", I reply.
"Yes, I agree" she says and then tells me that she will do a transverse
c-section. I want to know what kind of breech the baby is, she tries to
explain breech and I tell her I mean I want to know what part is presenting.
She isnt sure, but she knows we cant do this vaginally. Eventually she asks
me what I do for a living, I say I am a mother, She seems surprised because
I seem to have a lot of knowledge about this stuff. I explain that I once
seriously considered becoming a nurse-midwife and that my sister is a L&D
nurse and that she and I chat about her cases a lot. Meanwhile Robin is
being very supportive and helpful.

After they give me all sorts of nasty medicines, shave me, put in 2 IVs they
leave us to watch tv. SO we chat for a few and check out HGTV. I havea few
contractions, but try to arrange myself in a way that will discourage it. I
figure theres no point in having pains if Im going to have a section. THe
woman the OB is attending refuses to have her baby, she just takes FOREVER,
so I wait a few hours for her baby to be born. FINALLY they come for me an
wheel me to the OR.

Once in the OR they give me the spinal. Being me, I chat the whole time with
the people. The Dr and everyone else was female, so its kind of chatty in
there. I try to convince her to sew me up REALLLLLY tight after delivery. I
mean, since they were down there, might as well take care of that stretch
mark problem. They put that drape thing up and start getting ready. Robin
comes in and sits at my head, we all chat and she takes a few pics though I
didnt want any of me all ugly and on the table,lol.It disturbs me that I
cannot feel my vaginal area, for some reason I get the urge to squeeze, like
doing a Kegel. I cant and I get distressed. I cannot resist the urge to TRY
to move, though I know I cant. SO I wiggle my fingers, just to move
something on my body. I try to think non-panicky thoughts.
THEN, after they put this inflated hot air blanket thing over my arms, the
mprphine starts giving me an itchy nose.

Its not that bad, we chat about the baby, my tummy tuck, kids etc. The OB
thinks Im amusing, so I try to be less lively,lest she laugh and slips w/the
scalpel. After some digging and pushing, the baby is OUT. She was head up
with both feet down, basically she was standing up in utero She is TINY,
when I first see her I am stunned. "She's so small, is she ok"? They go
weigh her and stuff, Robin goes and takes pics and I just lie there in
shock. All I could do was think about how small she was. They weigh her and
she's 5 lbs. Im still in shock, I just lie there as they close me. They
bring her so I can see her and RObin takes some more pics, I send her to
follow the baby,. Since I have a digital camera, she can take pics and bring
me the camera so I can see the baby while I am in recovery. Time of birth
4:55 am.
The OB thinks i have a fibroid, but she doesnt really search for it. They
send the placenta to pathology to see if there were problems. I decided to
get staples so I can hurry up and be out of there. THe itching has increased
and I cannot stop fiddling with my nose, plus I become nauseated and have to
barf. It takes them a few minutes to find a container, but I get one and
throw up into it. Hard to do when you are immobile from the neck
down.Fortunately, I'd eaten no solid food on Satuday, just milk and juice so
all i barf is a little of the antacid medicine.

Well, that was it. ALLLL done. I go to recovery and attempt to rest and not
think about my legs. I cant leave recovery until I can bend my knees and
lift my butt, and its frustrating to TRY since basically all that I can do
is wait. Robin eventually comes in and I get to see the pics she took as
they bathed the baby. We chat and that distracts me.Im also ITCHING like
mad, all over. I cant stop rubbing my face, it just feels so weird. Plus my
skin hurt.
At about 9 am I get to go to my room, at 930 they bring the baby. Shes the
smallest thing I've ever seen adn looks just like her father. I demand a DNA
test, Im certain that he is the father, but I wanna know who the mother is!
Robin stays all day, then when my family comes she goes and gets the film
developed.
I manage over this and the next day to walk, I hurt but not as much as I
expected. Its great to not have hemmoroids or a swollen anything. What hurts
the most is sitting up in bed.The nurses all seem impressed w/my stamina and
everyone says I look great to have had a c-section
Monday night my OB says that since I can walk, talk, pee,fart and seem ok,
that she is sending me home the next morning. "I see no need for you to stay
other than to get an infection". I am stunned, but ready since Im BORED.
SO, 2 days later I am OUT of there!!
The baby is ok, she's a tiny little peahead, but everything checked out ok.
She lost a mere 3 ounces in the hospital. Most likely her size is due to the
combination og me being stressed, not adjusted well to living at this
altitude, having a 5'5 husband (as opposed to the 1st one who was 6'1) and a
fibroid. The suspected fibroid plus a small baby in a uterus that once
carried a 9 pounder is probably why she was breech. I'd been worried
earlier, but she turned so I wasnt concerned. But between Thursday and
Saturday she turned.
Anyway,all is well. The baby is getting cuter by the day and Im starting to
fall in love with her.

Old October 24th 03, 02:53 PM
Kat

Congrats! You told the story very well. Thank you for sharing! Enjoy your
new baby!
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD 02/01/04 (It's a Boy!)

Old October 24th 03, 06:08 PM
Fer

What a great birth story Nina! I've read so many vag births I love to heard
about csec that go well!Congrats again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
~~~Cheers!~~~
Jenn-WAHM-DS11-DD6-#3 edd 25/06

Old October 24th 03, 06:44 PM
Plissken

Congratulations! Wow you sure had a heck of a lot of incedents/accidents
going on in your life for someone who is about to have a baby. You must be
one strong woman because I would have been in tears if it was me. Are you
breastfeeding? If so how is it going after the c-section? I hope you have
lots of help with the kids.

Nadene

Old October 24th 03, 08:01 PM
Em

"Nina" wrote in message
snip
The baby is ok, she's a tiny little peahead, but everything checked out

ok.
She lost a mere 3 ounces in the hospital. Most likely her size is due to

the
combination og me being stressed, not adjusted well to living at this
altitude, having a 5'5 husband (as opposed to the 1st one who was 6'1) and

fibroid. The suspected fibroid plus a small baby in a uterus that once
carried a 9 pounder is probably why she was breech. I'd been worried
earlier, but she turned so I wasnt concerned. But between Thursday and
Saturday she turned.
Anyway,all is well. The baby is getting cuter by the day and Im starting

fall in love with her.

Wow! Just reading your message and everything you went through makes *me*
feel worn out! Congratulations again on India's birth--thanks for sharing
your story.

--
Em
mama to Lann, 9/21/03

Old October 24th 03, 08:07 PM
Sandi

"Nina" wrote in message
t...

Anyway,all is well. The baby is getting cuter by the day and Im starting

fall in love with her.

What a great story! I'm sorry your husband couldn't be there with you to
help you through everything, but it sounds like you had some wonderful
support. Will he get any chance to come home before April to meet India?

--
Sandi
Mommy to Abby, 3

Old October 24th 03, 08:13 PM
Ilse Witch

Nina wrote:
Gee, where do I start?

snip
Anyway,all is well. The baby is getting cuter by the day and Im starting to
fall in love with her.

I am glad you coped so well, and congrats Nina!!! I really admire your
strength of doing this without your DH's support. I hope he gets to see
your little girl soon!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (15m)

Old October 24th 03, 09:57 PM
Crystal Dreamer

I just had to reply when Nina wrote:
Gee, where do I start?

Well, its been a lonnnng year. My husband is in Iraq, been there
since April and will be there till next April. So I am here with the
kids and its hard, I dont know many people. I was very concerned
about my kids, I was afraid I'd go into labor and there's be no one
around to take care of them.

snip

Nina, what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing!

--
-Crystal Dreamer
http://www.livin-it-up.net

Old October 24th 03, 10:13 PM
Coccinella

WOW Nina,
what a birth story. glad to hear that you and your children are doing fine
now.
Congratulations to all of you and welcome to India.

Love

Nicky