The Logic of Beating Them ...

Old December 19th 06, 12:43 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
0:->

Default The Logic of Beating Them ...

.... into submission.

According to the logic of pro spank folks, some children are just
harder to parent, more willfully disobedient, and rambunctious. Thus
they get spanked more.

Is this supposed to be an argument?

An argument FOR the safe use of corporal punishment?

Maybe if we spanked them more as little kids teens would be more
cautious in their teen years, no?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...dostupidthings

Back to Story - Help
Yahoo! News
Why Teens Do Stupid Things

LiveScience Staff

LiveScience.comSun Dec 17, 1:50 PM ET

Teenagers do crazy things. They take drugs, have unprotected sex, ride
with drunken drivers, and pretend to be asleep when it's time to do the
dishes.

But it's not that they don't ponder the the potential consequences. In
fact, a new study finds teens spend more time weighing risk than adults
and in fact often overestimate the odds of a bad outcome. But the
desire for acceptance among peers wins out in the decision-making
process of a young mind.

Cornell University researcher Valerie Reyna and Frank Farley of Temple
University conducted a review of scientific studies on the topics.

Compared to adults, teens take about 170 milliseconds more weighing the
pros and cons of engaging in high-risk behavior, the researchers
conclude. Adults scarcely think about risk, perhaps because they think
they recognize risk intuitively. Teens, on the other hand, take time to
mull the risk vs. benefit equation.

"In other words, more experienced decision-makers tend to rely more on
fuzzy reasoning, processing situations and problems as gists [the
essence of their actions] rather than weighing multiple factors," Reyna
said.

Teens often decide that the benefits of risky behavior immediate
gratification or peer acceptance-outweigh the risks, Reyna said. She
figures its better to teach teens some "gist-based" thinking skills,
such as putting risks into general categories rather than lecturing
with specific data and details.

The results, announced this week, were published in the September issue
of the journal Psychological Science in the Public Interest.
Why Teens are Lousy at Chores Human Natu What We Learned in 2006 A
Brief History of Human Sex Why Teens Don't Care Original Story: Why
Teens Do Stupid Things

Visit LiveScience.com for more daily news, views and scientific inquiry
with an original, provocative point of view. LiveScience reports
amazing, real world breakthroughs, made simple and stimulating for
people on the go. Check out our collection of Science, Animal and
Dinosaur Pictures, Science Videos, Hot Topics, Trivia, Top 10s, Voting,
Amazing Images, Reader Favorites, and more. Get cool gadgets at the new
LiveScience Store, sign up for our free daily email newsletter and
check out our RSS feeds today!

Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

Old December 26th 06, 09:47 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
Carlson LaVonne

0:- wrote:
... into submission.

According to the logic of pro spank folks, some children are just
harder to parent, more willfully disobedient, and rambunctious. Thus
they get spanked more.

Yup, that is one of the arguments. Of course, there's always the
argument that any child who exhibits independence should be hit to
squelch that little emerging will. This developmentally appropriate
stage occurs between 12 and 24 months.

Is this supposed to be an argument?

Sure it is. Hit the children who do not comply!

An argument FOR the safe use of corporal punishment?

Maybe if we spanked them more as little kids teens would be more
cautious in their teen years, no?

Hit them as much as possible to bend then into submission when they are
little. After all, they can't hurt you. Back off when they become
teenagers. Those little kiddies grow into adults. Hit them then, and
you may feel retaliation for all those years of hitting those little ones.

LaVonne

Old December 27th 06, 02:12 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
Ravnurin332700

Strange that people will condone violence... violence breeds
violence... hit and be hit... nothing more to it. If you want children
to use violence - use violence on children.

Old December 30th 06, 07:14 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
Greegor

Ravnurin332700 wrote:
Strange that people will condone violence... violence breeds
violence... hit and be hit... nothing more to it. If you want children
to use violence - use violence on children.

How old are you?