I am head over heals in LOVE!

Old February 15th 04, 04:59 PM
Missy in Indiana

Default I am head over heals in LOVE!

Brigitte,

Congratulations! I'm so sorry things didn't go as you had hoped. I know how
much you were looking forward to a VBAC. Sometimes you have to make tough
decisions for the sake of your health and the baby. I know it's disappointing,
but you made a medically sound decision considering the stress you were under.
Now you can have family support around you as well and that's a relief also.

I love the name Isabella...enjoy every inch of her!

Missy
Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Old February 15th 04, 08:29 PM
shirley

Congratulations on your new arrival! I always say in the end it doesn't
matter how they arrive, just that they are safe, sound and so are you. Our
very best to the newest addition to your family.

All of our best,
Shirley, Chris, Kathleen and DH of course (Van)

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...
Short version: Isabella Zora was born the evening of February 12 via
repeat c-section. She was 8 lb. 4 oz.

Long version: It all started on January 31st. I started having
contractions about 1 pm every 20 minutes apart. By 10 pm, the
contractions were more intense and 7 minutes apart. I called the
hospital (1 hour away) and told them we (dh and I) were on our way.
When we arrived at the hospital, the contractions were 5 minutes apart
but then they stalled. They kept me there overnight as a precaution and
then I went home in the morning. The contractions stayed very mild and
were 10 minutes apart for about a week following.

On Tuesday, February 10th, about 1 am I woke up to contractions. I
managed to get a bit of rest and then called FIL about 8 am and asked
him to catch the 11 am ferry. He arrived at the house by about 4:30 pm.
All that day, the contractions were about 15 minutes apart. Around 10
pm they started to increase in intensity. By 1 am Wednesday, they were 5
minutes apart and quite intense. So off we went to the hospital. By
the time we arrived they were 2 minutes apart and very strong. Then
they stalled, again.

They kept me for a few hours to see if they would start up again but
they didn’t. I still had a contraction every now and then but not with
the same intensity nor frequency. I checked myself out of the hospital
around 8 am Wednesday, February 11th.

I was now in pain, very exhausted, and extremely stressed. My blood
pressure was still within normal range but it had risen. I was near the
end of my endurance. What the cardiologist said to me a couple of weeks
ago kept running through my mind, “Do whatever causes you the least stress.”

I had lost confidence in my body because of the two false labours and
the SVT episode. I didn’t have family support locally (they were all in
Victoria – a minimum half-day’s travel). DH had to drive me 1 hour to
the hospital in winter conditions through a mountain pass. I didn’t
have a choice of doctors. The hospital was a regional one (not
tertiary) so it wouldn’t do a lot of things. The VBAC attempt was now
causing me greater stress than arranging for post-surgical help would.

DH and I discussed our options and I called the OB I really liked. He
could do the surgery but it would have to be Thursday, February 12th
because that was his surgical day. I wouldn’t have a specific time
because I was not a true emergency (but I was still classified as one so
he could do it that day). Then we called the family members that could
offer post-surgical support and see if they could do it.

It wasn’t an easy decision but one of those ones you sometimes have to make.

We arrived at the hospital at 2 pm, Thursday, February 12th. They did
their pre-op testing and procedures. I called my doula around 3:30 pm to
be there for 4 pm. Then we waited, and waited, and waited. I got
bumped because someone broke both of his legs. We finally started
heading to the surgical theatre around 6:30 pm. There was a bit of
difficultly getting the spinal but nothing extraordinary. Isabella
arrived at 7:17 pm. The surgery was uneventful (the best kind!) but
Isabella had quite a bit of amniotic fluid in her. They also ended up
getting oxygen (air?) in her stomach when they bagged her. So off she
went with DH and the doula to Special Care Nursery to get a tube into
her stomach (she has a bit if an abrasion on her cheek from the tape) to
get it all out. I only had time for a quick glance and kiss.

I was stitched (I didn’t want staples) up and carted off to
post-operative recovery. I was determined to get to Isabella as quickly
as I could. I pestered them and concentrated on bending my legs. I
also had the foresight to bring my Avent Isis with me to help with the
uterine contractions because Isabella wasn’t allowed in the recovery
room to nurse (and yet they call themselves breast-feeding “friendly”).
I don’t think those nurses ever saw someone pump there before.

Finally, I was carted off to the Maternity ward about 9:00 pm (I think
they just wanted to get rid of me and my incessant hounding of them).
Isabella, DH, and my doula were notified and a few minutes later I was
holding my sweet little baby.

She started nursing around 10:30 pm (she was sleeping until then) and
she really hasn’t stopped. My milk still hasn’t come in (it’s only been
2 days) so all she has had is the colostrum. She is truly amazing but
my nipples and areolas are getting quite sore (I’m icing them right
now!). I know she’ll be more satisfied once the milk comes in.

Of course there is more but this story is getting quite long.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old February 15th 04, 10:03 PM
sash

Congratulations to you and your family! Great job!

--
sasha - mom to Naomi & Charlotte
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/h/harkins/

Old February 16th 04, 02:11 AM
Ellen Kmetz

Congratulations, Brigitte, on your beautiful daughter

Best wishes,

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old February 16th 04, 12:01 PM
Jack H.

[...]

Short version.

CONGRATS!
Speedy recovery!

Jack

Old February 17th 04, 03:51 AM
Andrea

I didn't see the original post for some reason. :{

Congratulations to you and your family! That is great news! She's a big baby.
I can't wait to see pics. of her.

Andrea
twin girls-Madison & Jordan
3/22/00

misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 March 18th 04 09:12 AM
I am head over heals in LOVE! DeliciousTruffles Breastfeeding 23 March 9th 04 03:14 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 February 16th 04 09:59 AM
At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
the curfew (a love story involving spanking) LadySharon811 Spanking 0 September 20th 03 10:56 PM