Names in preschool

Old September 16th 03, 11:26 PM
Wendy Marsden

Default Names in preschool

Just an interesting survey: here are the first names of the kids in an
upscale preschool in New England:

Emmett
Allen
Ben
Brett
Zachary
Kalina
Samuel (2 of those)
Brahm
Julia
Olivia
Mikah
Leif
Jospeph
Kestrel
Raili
Leeanna
Emily
Peter
Chianna
Emma
Jonathan
Cole
Liam
Brigit
Madeleine

Wendy, who clearly doesn't give her kids weird enough names
Old September 16th 03, 11:34 PM
Wendy Marsden

Wendy Marsden wrote:
Just an interesting survey: here are the first names of the kids in an
upscale preschool in New England:

And here's a follow-up: of the 26 kids, only 11 have parents with the same
last name. 3 kids have two Mommies. 1 has only a Mommy.

I sent my daughter to this same preschool many years ago. She came home
in tears one day because, 'she's one of the only kids with only one last
name!' (I let her have my maiden name and she's used two names ever
since.)

Wendy, part of a traditional (but not normal) family
Old September 16th 03, 11:42 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Wendy Marsden wrote:

Wendy Marsden wrote:
Just an interesting survey: here are the first names of the kids in an
upscale preschool in New England:

And here's a follow-up: of the 26 kids, only 11 have parents with the same
last name. 3 kids have two Mommies. 1 has only a Mommy.

I sent my daughter to this same preschool many years ago. She came home
in tears one day because, 'she's one of the only kids with only one last
name!' (I let her have my maiden name and she's used two names ever
since.)

Wendy, part of a traditional (but not normal) family

Just last week I was reading an article that said that more women are
starting to take their husband's last name when they get married;
apparently that particular trend -- keeping your birth name -- is
starting to drop.

I do know two kids with two mommies who have the same last name; one
changed it when they had a Union Service, before they had kids. So if
they were in your daughter's class, they'd be one of the 11 with parents
with the same last name, and one of the 3 with two mommies!

meh
also part of a traditioinal-looking but hardly normal family

Old September 17th 03, 12:39 AM
Ali's Daddie

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
| Chianna
|
| Wendy, who clearly doesn't give her kids weird enough names

Chianna was on our list, but I was going to spell it Kiana or Kianna.
Thankfully I "found" Alegra and knew that was what my daughter was supposed
to be named :-)

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

To send me an email, please remove your hat
YourHatDaddie at bonbon.net

Old September 17th 03, 01:13 AM
Hillary Israeli

Jacob's class:

Natalie
Zachary
Jacob (Jake)
Jacob (my Jacob, who goes by Jacob)
Savanna
Sam
Emmie
Ari
Kayla
Brian
Adam
Jonathan
Andrew

Old September 17th 03, 01:27 AM
H Schinske

Wendy Marsden wrote:
Just an interesting survey: here are the first names of the kids in an
upscale preschool in New England:

Ummmm, I wouldn't be too happy if I found that someone had posted the names of
my kid's preschool class on a usenet group. I know it's probably irrational of
me, but I just don't like the idea. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

To speak in generalities, I've noticed that some names look much funnier in
lists, where you can sometimes perceive or imagine trends, than they do as
individual names. If you get a bunch in a row that all look as if they were out
of a medieval/Renaissance history text, for instance. One kid named Beatrice
wouldn't be odd. Beatrice and Lucretia in the same class, that's odd. Wendy is
not an odd name. ;-) A class with Wendy, Sandy, Mandy, and Andy would be odd.

--Helen
Old September 17th 03, 02:04 AM
Circe

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
Wendy, who clearly doesn't give her kids weird enough names

Gosh, most of those look pretty standard to me. A few unusual ones, but not
many.

Now, UNUSUAL is the fact that on our soccer team of 8 kids, there are two
boys, one named Keiluhn (Kei- rhymes with sky) and Caelan (Cae rhymes with
way). Now, I'd think even one of these names a bit--well--peculiar, but two
have two of them so similar in such a small group of kids seems really odd
to me.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"No parking passed this sign" -- hotel parking lot sign

Old September 17th 03, 02:05 AM
Wendy Marsden

H Schinske wrote:

Ummmm, I wouldn't be too happy if I found that someone had posted the names of
my kid's preschool class on a usenet group. I know it's probably irrational of
me, but I just don't like the idea. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

I considered that, but felt like it was irrational. What possible harm
could come to them? No town, last names, identifying remarks or the name
of the school are mentioned (or have ever been mentioned in another
post.) I mean, c'mon, this is a group that still routinely writes
people's entire names and birthdates in their sigs!

I do believe you'd be able to find my son's preschool if you made a
concerted effort, but... then what? You'd know the kid's names the second
you walked in the foyer anyway, since they're on the cubbies!

Wendy
Old September 17th 03, 02:29 AM
Craig Tuggle

Ethan's preschool class has:

Landon
Cheyenne
Kaytie
Kelcie
Maddie
Jackson
Hunter
Dustin

I never thought about it before but they are all slightly unusual (sometimes
it is the spelling)
This is a small town in the Midwest.

Sara
Mom to Ethan (2)

Old September 17th 03, 02:37 AM
just me

[...]

Wendy, it appears the weird names would include Debbie, Suzy, Kathy, Peter,
Paul and John, so don't feel too bad. Name your child a different name!

-Aula, no longer a weird name apparently