Names in preschool

Old September 17th 03, 05:07 AM
Wendy Marsden

Default Names in preschool

just me wrote:

Wendy, it appears the weird names would include Debbie, Suzy, Kathy, Peter,
Paul and John, so don't feel too bad. Name your child a different name!

Well, I named one of them Gary. I thought that was safe - I haven't met
another Gary under the age of 40... until last year when another Gary was
in my son's class. Go figure. (The other Gary is a Junior.)

Wendy
Old September 17th 03, 05:56 AM
Mamma Mia

i saw a birth ntoice today - kids were ireland, inida, china, peru and
israel.

"Wendy Marsden" wrote in message
Just an interesting survey: here are the first names of the kids in an
upscale preschool in New England:

Emmett
Allen
Ben
Brett
Zachary
Kalina
Samuel (2 of those)
Brahm
Julia
Olivia
Mikah
Leif
Jospeph
Kestrel
Raili
Leeanna
Emily
Peter
Chianna
Emma
Jonathan
Cole
Liam
Brigit
Madeleine

Wendy, who clearly doesn't give her kids weird enough names

Old September 17th 03, 07:45 AM
GI Trekker

KESTREL!?

Isn't that a type of BIRD?!??!?

Of course, I know of someone that named their kids Summer, Rainbow, and
Sunshine. I hope to heck they were all girls.
Old September 17th 03, 07:46 AM
GI Trekker

And here's a follow-up: of the 26 kids, only 11 have parents with the same
last name. 3 kids have two Mommies. 1 has only a Mommy.

Okay, the first post was amusing. This is downright tragic.
Old September 17th 03, 07:52 AM
Denise

Wendy Marsden wrote:
Just an interesting survey: here are the first names of the kids in an
upscale preschool in New England:

And here's a follow-up: of the 26 kids, only 11 have parents with the same
last name. 3 kids have two Mommies. 1 has only a Mommy.

Skewing this data would be something like my family though. Two of my kids
are old enough to be in the same preschool class (only one goes though). My
last name is different than my husband's, but we're very much a "traditional
family." I also have kids with weird names Weird enough to be in the
top 100 anyway.

Old September 17th 03, 09:16 AM
Clisby

In my son's preschool class:

Joseph (mine)
Joseph (not mine)
Jaron
Blake
Sam

Clisby

Old September 17th 03, 12:59 PM
dejablues

Nice to see Samuel...my OS is a Sam, the only other Sams he ever went to
school with are Samanthas g. There were THREE Brittany's in his preschool
class 10 years ago (yuck!)

My middle son goes to school with a Eugene. I think that's pretty cute.

Old September 17th 03, 01:03 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
(GI Trekker) wrote:

KESTREL!?

Isn't that a type of BIRD?!??!?

So is Robin. So what?

There's the comic strip with the baby named Wren. And we have a local
newscaster named Lark. I've also heard of Hawk (for boys although
mostly in romance novels).

I lived next door to a family once that the oldest girl was Robin
because, as her mom explained to me, they wanted to name the child
after her father and thought that Robin was the feminine for Robert.
Then the next child was a boy and he was named Robert, so I guess it's
a good thing that they'd never heard of Roberta. I did know a girl
who was named after her father - his name was Willard, so she was
Willdra.

I had two female friends who were named after both their mom and dad -
Raleen (Ralph and Maureen), and Waleen (Walter and Maureen).

Of course, I know of someone that named their kids Summer, Rainbow, and
Sunshine. I hope to heck they were all girls.

I have a 'kissing cousin' (5th cousin once removed) born in 1896 who
was named Sunshine. My SIL named her kids Dawn and Holly (Holly was
born at Xmas).

My dd#1 named all her kids after immediate ancestors. DD#2 named her
kids for western states. One of them is not normally used as a name,
but there's someone else in the extended family with a child of the
same age and sex who also named the child for that state.

There used to be a local family who named their daughter Richmond,
because she was born in Richmond, VA. Why not name her Virginia I
don't know. She was called Richie. One of Holly's children is
Madison, and I understand that's a fairly common name now.

I lived next door to a lady in 1960 who was an Herbert (pronounced
Hay-bear). In that area of Louisiana, Herbert was a really really
common name. Her maiden name was also Herbert (so if she'd been
hyphenating, she'd have been Herbert-Herbert, and if she'd named a
child Herbert, he'd have been Herbert Herbert - ack). She told me she
tried to really give her children unusual names. Two of them were
Reed (boy) and Margot. (Can't remember the third.)

And I've just sold some old Home Power magazines on ebay to a man
named Maverick Brown. (from TX)

grandma Rosalie