Cross your fingers for me...

Old September 8th 04, 05:40 AM
Istara

Default Cross your fingers for me...

I have a job interview in the morning, and just (today) got a referral
on another one. The morning's interview is for an office job in the
dental school. The referral - the COOL one - is for a radio host
position with one of the (two) local broadcast groups.

At this point, I'd just about be willing to settle for a job at the
local grocery store, but... They don't pay enough to cover all of the
bills. I know, I know... Patience. But still...

Oh, um... FYI - I'm "in transition". I WAS in law enforcement
communications, then was (recently) diagnosed with an auditory
processing disorder and found unfit for duty because of it. Been
unemployed for a couple of weeks now, and am on a slow burn to
frustration - the only jobs I really know are housewife, L.E.
communications, jailing, and writing. What a mix, huh? Housewifing
doesn't pay the bills, can't stay in law enforcement due to the safety
issue with the auditory thing, and most of the writing work around here
is freelance work - which also doesn't pay the bills.

Anybody looking for a creative typist that can't handle more than one
conversation at a time?

It gets better. This is an opportunity to try something new, learn new
skills, meet new people, make a name for myself... I keep telling
myself... Patience. Perseverance. Faith. But it DOES get frustrating
soemtimes!

Keep your fingers crossed for me?

~ Dor

Old September 8th 04, 07:35 AM
CME

"Istara" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I definitely will. Good luck.

Btw, there are a couple of us in the Criminology field as well. Vicky aka V
and myself.

Christine

Old September 8th 04, 01:58 PM
lm

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 00:40:24 -0400, Istara
wrote:

[...]

Lots of writing in that field though. I used to be an editor for
USDOJ. Search their pubs ( www.ncjrs.org ), especially OJJDP, NIJ,
NLECTC, and VAWO, (the government is a haven for lost acronyms) and
when you find a report or something that fits your experience, look at
all the citations. Most of the research they publish is carried out by
universities, probably one near you. And believe me, they need writers
and editors :-)

lm
Old September 9th 04, 04:13 AM
Istara

wrote:

I have a job interview in the morning,

SNIP
Keep your fingers crossed for me?

Lots of writing in that field though. I used to be an editor for
USDOJ. Search their pubs ( www.ncjrs.org ), especially OJJDP, NIJ,
NLECTC, and VAWO, (the government is a haven for lost acronyms) and
when you find a report or something that fits your experience, look at
all the citations. Most of the research they publish is carried out by
universities, probably one near you. And believe me, they need writers
and editors :-)

lm

Thanks for the link - I just did a quick cruise through the website, and
it looks like a treasure trove. I love new reading material. Too late
tonight to really sample through it, but I should have some time this
weekend.

Interview went well this morning. The lady is doing her last interview
Friday morning, then will be choosing three candidates to call back for
interviewing with her boss on Monday. With a little luck, I'm hoping to
be one of those three.

It's late - I'm gonna crawl off to bed, now. Parent-teacher conferences
at school tomorrow. Jake's been doing his homework, but has been losing
bits of it, or something. Teacher says he's missing recess time for
having to re-do stuff he supposedly did the night before and couldn't
find when it came time to turn in the work. I *know* he's been doing
every assignment on his nightly sheet, because I check it all as he gets
it finished, then make sure he gets everything put up once he's done.
So, he's either not writing down everything he's supposed to be doing,
or he's losing papers between home and school. Or something. Not sure
WHAT's going on. (sigh) Fourth grade is so much fun...

G'night!

~ Dor

Old September 11th 04, 02:41 AM
Istara

Istara wrote:
I have a job interview in the morning, and just (today) got a referral
on another one. The morning's interview is for an office job in the
dental school. SNIP

The interview at the dental school, Wednesday, went well. Got a
call-back this afternoon - they've narrowed it down to three candidates
and want each of the three of us to come in Monday for follow-up
interviews.

SNIP

Anybody looking for a creative typist that can't handle more than one
conversation at a time?

Apparently, someone is.

It gets better. This is an opportunity to try something new, learn new
skills, meet new people, make a name for myself... I keep telling
myself... Patience. Perseverance. Faith. But it DOES get frustrating
soemtimes!

It IS getting better. My son, of course, is aware that Mom's out of work
- it's kind of hard for him to understand that we don't have money the
way we used to have, but he's taking it like a trooper. He comes in from
school, tells me about his day, then asks how job hunting went that day,
and did I get any new interviews? I've been trying really hard to keep
the stress and budget problems "out of sight, out of mind" around him,
make the whole experience seem more like an adventure or something - 'I
explored THIS new job, and THAT new job, and found out a little about
what a fill in the blank does...' Any suggestions for other/added ways
to try to relieve some of the stress would be welcome.

Keep your fingers crossed for me?

Still? Or, again? Please? All prayers and moral support cheerfully
accepted.

~ Dor

Old September 21st 04, 03:33 AM
Istara

SNIP

I got a jo-ob! (singing and dancing in the kitchen, today) Working in
medical records - not my previous field, but... Better pay, better
hours, close to home, and no early-morning childcare issues. My son was
excited and pleased, and wants to know when we get the cable TV back the
way it used to be. (grin) The answer, of course, is when I start getting
paychecks again. He grumbled, but seemed pleased.

Anybody wanna dance? :-D

~ Dor

Old September 21st 04, 05:48 AM
Cele

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:33:03 -0400, Istara
wrote:

SNIP

I got a jo-ob! (singing and dancing in the kitchen, today) Working in
medical records - not my previous field, but... Better pay, better
hours, close to home, and no early-morning childcare issues. My son was
excited and pleased, and wants to know when we get the cable TV back the
way it used to be. (grin) The answer, of course, is when I start getting
paychecks again. He grumbled, but seemed pleased.

Anybody wanna dance? :-D

~ Dor

Congratulations! That's excellent news. I'm really happy for you.

Cele
Old September 21st 04, 07:53 AM
Paul Griffiths

"Istara" wrote in message
. ..

I got a jo-ob! (singing and dancing in the kitchen, today) Working in
medical records - not my previous field, but... Better pay, better
hours, close to home, and no early-morning childcare issues. My son was
excited and pleased, and wants to know when we get the cable TV back the
way it used to be. (grin) The answer, of course, is when I start getting
paychecks again. He grumbled, but seemed pleased.

That's excellent news. I hope it's the start of a new and better phase of
your life. Well done.

Anybody wanna dance? :-D

You lead, I'll follow. :-)

--
Paul Griffiths

Old September 22nd 04, 04:27 PM
CME

"Istara" wrote in message
. ..
SNIP

I got a jo-ob! (singing and dancing in the kitchen, today) Working in
medical records - not my previous field, but... Better pay, better hours,
close to home, and no early-morning childcare issues. My son was excited
and pleased, and wants to know when we get the cable TV back the way it
used to be. (grin) The answer, of course, is when I start getting
paychecks again. He grumbled, but seemed pleased.

Anybody wanna dance? :-D

~ Dor

Oh congrats on the new job! Sounds like it's even an improvement from your
last job. Funny how things work out sometimes.

Christine