Retired Father

Old August 3rd 03, 07:53 PM
teachrmama

Default Retired Father

How old are you, Jackie? And what state are you talking about? Does your
mother have a copy of the support order that you can read?

"Jackie" wrote in message
. ca...
Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone here would know but... if my parents are in the
middle of a divorce right now, and my father decides to retire once the
divorce is settled (he's 67, so, it's not odd for him to retire) would be
still need to pay me child support if I am a full time student (based on a
60% course load per term)?! As it stands right now, if he were to keep on
working, he would need to pay approximately $800/month to me because of

his
income. If he were to retire would he still be required to pay me as long

as
I was a "dependent child" (i.e. a full time student... since I'm already
over 18)?!

Thanks in advance,

Jackie

Old August 3rd 03, 09:29 PM
gini52

"Jackie" wrote in message
. ca...
Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone here would know but... if my parents are in the
middle of a divorce right now, and my father decides to retire once the
divorce is settled (he's 67, so, it's not odd for him to retire) would be
still need to pay me child support if I am a full time student (based on a
60% course load per term)?!

As it stands right now, if he were to keep on
working, he would need to pay approximately $800/month to me because of

his
income. If he were to retire would he still be required to pay me as long

as
I was a "dependent child" (i.e. a full time student... since I'm already
over 18)?!

==
Let's see-Your dad is 67--that means he has a life expectancy of less than
10 years.
Now, why would you expect your father to support you as an adult?
If you would expect your father to support you, why not your mother? Hey,
why don't
you move in with a friend and sue both of them? Actually,
you might just have to get a job like the students from intact families and
states
that require adult children to support themselves (though it appears you
have pretty
much ruled out getting a job). Who's going to foot your bill when your
dad is dead?
Sheesh! (Ah...I see you are in Canada. Everything applies but the legal
stuff)
==
==

Thanks in advance,

Jackie

Old August 4th 03, 07:17 AM
Randy Jabsco

"Dave" dave@freedoms-door wrote in message
Are you for real or do you have one massive set of balls? You really

expect
a 67 year old man to provide you $800 a month.

I have a friend being forced to pay more child support than he actually
makes. Since the courts cannot take more than 50% of his income due to the
'fair credit' federal laws, they put the rest on arrears and tack on a 12%?
interest rate so as to 'encourage' him to pay it off. Divorce appears to be
a pretty good business for most women. Excellent lifestyle, good income. I
spoke with one woman once who specifically told me that she intentionally
looks for men to get impregnated by so that she can end up collecting child
support from them.

Living with your parents is
one thing (my children can stay with me as long as they like not matter

how
old), but expecting that kind of money as an adult! (and through the

courts)

Thats sick and you obviously do not give a damn about your father. I would
not be so suprised that when he dies he does not leave you a dime which at
that age could be right around the corner. That maybe the only way to

teach
you some sense of morality in caring for others in life.

Old August 4th 03, 10:40 AM
Jackie

Let me tell you guys a few things.

1. My father's basically got it made... he makes over $90K/year, and he's
the one who wants the divorce from my mother.
2. He's told me on multiple occasions that he is going to make it as
difficult as possible for me to NOT be able to go to school (for one,
because of his income, I can't get a student loan, and he's not willing to
pay for my education).
3. He's verbally abusive and tells me that he wishes he never had me and
that I am stupid, just like my mother, and how, if we weren't in Canada, he
would have given me away when I was born.

So, there's no love lost between the two of us... I was just asking for some
advice, and if you guys won't give it, then I'll go to our lawyer... I see
you guys are likely all deadbeat dads anyway.

"Dave" dave@freedoms-door wrote in message
Are you for real or do you have one massive set of balls? You really

expect
a 67 year old man to provide you $800 a month. Living with your parents

Old August 4th 03, 10:47 AM
Jackie

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

"Jackie" wrote in message
. ca...
Hello,

I'm not sure if anyone here would know but... if my parents are in the
middle of a divorce right now, and my father decides to retire once the
divorce is settled (he's 67, so, it's not odd for him to retire) would

be
still need to pay me child support if I am a full time student (based on

60% course load per term)?! As it stands right now, if he were to keep

on
working, he would need to pay approximately $800/month to me because of

his
income. If he were to retire would he still be required to pay me as

long
as
I was a "dependent child" (i.e. a full time student... since I'm already
over 18)?!

Here's an answer that doesn't blast you for asking a reasonable question.

Your state law and case law will drive how your situation is handled. For
instance, in my state there is a child attending school statute that

extends
CS for minor children until age 21 if they continually attend some form of
post-secondary education, stay enrolled at least 50% of the time, maintain
at least a "C" average, and comply with state requirements to file grades,
confirmations of enrollment, and details of course of study.

In my state, the case law says child attending school support is an
extension of CS for minor children so the statute cannot be used to
establish an order for an adult child who is already 18 years of age when
their parents divorce.

There is an advantage for you as a student that you may not have realized
yet. After your parents are divorced the FFSA input you file will be

based
on the parent's income where you live 50+% of the time. That means your
expected family contribution will go down allowing you to qualify for

loans
and grants at a lower income level than your parent's combined income. If
you can work it out with your parents, you can use the lower income

earners
financial data for setting the EFC and then get financial support from

both
parents under the radar screen of how the government manages FFSA. It's
actually an advantage for you because there will be no CS to add to your
FFSA input as income for your and your 50+% parent.

Geez... an actual answer... thank you so much... I think most people don't
realize that it's nearly impossible to get a student loan when both of your
parents make a lot of money... and I AM working right now, but, with my full
time course load, I don't like to work while I'm actually in classes... so,
that makes me slightly broke... I'm actually from Canada... so all of that
"state by state" stuff won't make a difference in my case, but I will ask
the lawyer about it... I did also apply for a student loan... but I think
they are just going to be providing me with only my tuition, and not my
living expenses... so, I guess we'll see!

But, again... thanks for the answer, and not jumping to conclusions!

Old August 4th 03, 10:49 AM
Jackie

I'm 21, and in Canada... and I'm starting to realize that probably 90% of
you are either 1. Useless, or 2. In the USA... so, hopefully you're only
from the second category!
But, if you are, you won't be able to give me much advice anyway... I just
didn't want to have to pay the lawyer to get that answer... but it looks
like I'll have to!

Old August 4th 03, 10:53 AM
Jackie

"gini52" wrote in message

"Jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Because, as long as I am a full time student, I am a dependent child in the
eyes of the law.

If you would expect your father to support you, why not your mother?

Because she doesn't make enough money to support even herself.

Hey,
why don't
you move in with a friend and sue both of them?

That's a terrible comparison, unless these friends give birth to me somehow,
and then tell me after 21 years that they are not willing to support me in a
time when they ought to.

Actually,
you might just have to get a job like the students from intact families

and
states
that require adult children to support themselves (though it appears you
have pretty
much ruled out getting a job).

I'm working right now, but I'm not going to sacrifice my grades for work
(i.e. I will not work when I'm in school... I've tried it, and i can't do
it.

Who's going to foot your bill when your
dad is dead?

This is my last year of school... so, I suppose no one will.

Sheesh! (Ah...I see you are in Canada. Everything applies but the legal
stuff)

I don't know what that's supposed to mean... but I'm assuming it's useless
blather from someone with nothing better to do...

==
==

Thanks in advance,

Jackie

Old August 4th 03, 10:55 AM
Jackie

"Dave" dave@freedoms-door wrote in message
Are you for real or do you have one massive set of balls?

I would say I've got no balls... from a physiological standpoint.

You really expect
a 67 year old man to provide you $800 a month.

Well, a 67 year old man who brought me to this earth, and who makes
$90K/year... yep.

Living with your parents is
one thing (my children can stay with me as long as they like not matter

how
old), but expecting that kind of money as an adult! (and through the

courts)

Nope, I'm expecting that kind of money as a student.

Thats sick and you obviously do not give a damn about your father.

Why would I?! As I said in another post, he's one of the most abusive people
I know.

I would
not be so suprised that when he dies he does not leave you a dime which at
that age could be right around the corner.

He already told me that he's going to be adopting other children, and that
he is going to support them through school, because he doesn't want to give
me any of his money. (i.e. he would do anything to make it more difficult
for me to go to school... and he's willing to give the money out to ANYONE
but his own children, and the mother of his children)... so, think what you
want... you don't matter anyway.

That maybe the only way to teach
you some sense of morality in caring for others in life.

Yep, you're obviously right.

Old August 4th 03, 11:08 AM
glow

"Jackie" wrote in message
news

"gini52" wrote in message

"Jackie" wrote in message
[...]

You fool moving in with someone else reduces the overall living expenses
because they are shared between the two of you is actually just as cheap to
make a meal for two as for one. It also provides a different aspect in
regards to your parents supporting you.

Old August 4th 03, 11:13 AM
glow

"Jackie" wrote in message
. ca...
I'm 21, and in Canada... and I'm starting to realize that probably 90% of
you are either 1. Useless, or 2. In the USA... so, hopefully you're only
from the second category!
But, if you are, you won't be able to give me much advice anyway... I just
didn't want to have to pay the lawyer to get that answer... but it looks
like I'll have to!

Save your money it is obvious that you need an education. you havn't yet
learnt that someone of the age of 21 should be capable of supporting
themselves. you are capable of working. Go out and get a job preferrably in
your field of study. this will help you to understand the practical
application of your study and maybe even give credits towards your course.
as well as enabling you to actually support yourself like a capable person
should.

Rule in my parents house they would support us til the end of highschool
which here is Year twelve in private schools. If we wanted to go to
University we pay for it ourselves. My parents allowed me to live with them
but I had to pay board and I had to pay for my higher education
myself....Text books, supplies and course fees.

"Jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Judge: Child's Removal Was Unnecessary wexwimpy Foster Parents 2 August 6th 04 09:20 PM
What is a Father? Mike General 20 May 4th 04 08:43 PM
Ten-year hell is over for a loving father Max Burke Child Support 1 June 23rd 03 09:01 PM