A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » misc.kids » General
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tips on picking baby gender



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old December 14th 07, 03:38 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 849
Default Tips on picking baby gender


"deja.blues" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"mommycom" wrote in message
...
We have 3 daughters currently and my husband and I would like one
more. We are crossing our fingers for a boy, but if it doesn't happen,
we'll still be very happy.

We are not going the medical route, just "natural" methods. Does
anyone have any advice or tips? TIA!


Adoption.

LOL.
When I was about 6 or 7 mum said in my hearing that the first baby's labour
was usually the hardest. A few days later I anounced I was going to adopt my
first child so I didn't have to have labour with my first.
:-)
Debbie


  #12  
Old December 14th 07, 10:00 PM posted to misc.kids
mommycom
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Tips on picking baby gender

On Dec 14, 4:47 am, "deja.blues" wrote:
"mommycom" wrote in message

...

We have 3 daughters currently and my husband and I would like one
more. We are crossing our fingers for a boy, but if it doesn't happen,
we'll still be very happy.


We are not going the medical route, just "natural" methods. Does
anyone have any advice or tips? TIA!


Adoption.



That would definitely take the guess work out of the gender wouldn't
it. LOL
  #13  
Old December 14th 07, 10:36 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 223
Default Tips on picking baby gender

On Dec 13, 3:22�pm, mommycom wrote:
We have 3 daughters currently and my husband and I would like one
more. We are crossing our fingers for a boy, but if it doesn't happen,
we'll still be very happy.

We are not going the medical route, just "natural" methods. Does
anyone have any advice or tips? TIA!

Thank you.


Well, the sperm that makes it to the egg is what determines the
gender. They say that the male-designated sperm swim faster and die
out faster than the other, and the female-designated sperm swim slower
and live longer. We tried the trick where we used the ovulation
predictor kits to show when ovulation occurred and we made sure to
have a go at *it* just prior to ovulation to get our girl and we got
our girl. So if you want a boy, then targeting closer to actual
ovulation might get you your boy. For example, based on my cycles back
then, we were supposed to try to conceive around 11 days after the
date of my last period. So at 8 days after I started testing, but we
also started trying to conceive. Just like the kit said, it predicted
ovulation 11 days after, but we already had some female-designated
sperm sticking around working its way there from day 8. We did not try
to conceive again either after ovulation was detected.
  #14  
Old December 14th 07, 11:00 PM posted to misc.kids
mommycom
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Tips on picking baby gender

Thanks for all the great information everyone! :-)

On Dec 14, 1:36*pm, Chris wrote:
On Dec 13, 3:22�pm, mommycom wrote:

We have 3 daughters currently and my husband and I would like one
more. We are crossing our fingers for a boy, but if it doesn't happen,
we'll still be very happy.


We are not going the medical route, just "natural" methods. Does
anyone have any advice or tips? TIA!


Thank you.


Well, the sperm that makes it to the egg is what determines the
gender. They say that the male-designated sperm swim faster and die
out faster than the other, and the female-designated sperm swim slower
and live longer. We tried the trick where we used the ovulation
predictor kits to show when ovulation occurred and we made sure to
have a go at *it* just prior to ovulation to get our girl and we got
our girl. So if you want a boy, then targeting closer to actual
ovulation might get you your boy. For example, based on my cycles back
then, we were supposed to try to conceive around 11 days after the
date of my last period. So at 8 days after I started testing, but we
also started trying to conceive. Just like the kit said, it predicted
ovulation 11 days after, but we already had some female-designated
sperm sticking around working its way there from day 8. We did not try
to conceive again either after ovulation was detected.


We actually tried this w/ our last 2 girls, lol. Obviously didn't
work out. ;-)

I think my irregular cycles, along w/ my husband's health history
contributes to our low likelihood to have sons. I'm not saying that
we won't try again though. Maybe fourth time's the charm for us?
  #15  
Old December 14th 07, 11:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 453
Default Tips on picking baby gender

On Dec 14, 5:00 pm, mommycom wrote:

snip

I'm not saying that we won't try again though. Maybe fourth time's the charm for us?


Some research says that relatively stable attributes of a couple
affect the probability they will have a boy, with high status
increasing it and good looks decreasing it.

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/...622-000002.xml
Ten Politically Incorrect Truths About Human Nature
By Alan S. Miller Ph.D., Satoshi Kanazawa Ph.D.

'It is commonly believed that whether parents conceive a boy or a girl
is up to random chance. Close, but not quite; it is largely up to
chance. The normal sex ratio at birth is 105 boys for every 100 girls.
But the sex ratio varies slightly in different circumstances and for
different families. There are factors that subtly influence the sex of
an offspring.

One of the most celebrated principles in evolutionary biology, the
Trivers-Willard hypothesis, states that wealthy parents of high status
have more sons, while poor parents of low status have more daughters.
This is because children generally inherit the wealth and social
status of their parents. Throughout history, sons from wealthy
families who would themselves become wealthy could expect to have a
large number of wives, mistresses and concubines, and produce dozens
or hundreds of children, whereas their equally wealthy sisters can
have only so many children. So natural selection designs parents to
have biased sex ratio at birth depending upon their economic
circumstances--more boys if they are wealthy, more girls if they are
poor. (The biological mechanism by which this occurs is not yet
understood.)

This hypothesis has been documented around the globe. American
presidents, vice presidents, and cabinet secretaries have more sons
than daughters. Poor Mukogodo herders in East Africa have more
daughters than sons. Church parish records from the 17th and 18th
centuries show that wealthy landowners in Leezen, Germany, had more
sons than daughters, while farm laborers and tradesmen without
property had more daughters than sons. In a survey of respondents from
46 nations, wealthy individuals are more likely to indicate a
preference for sons if they could only have one child, whereas less
wealthy individuals are more likely to indicate a preference for
daughters.

The generalized Trivers-Willard hypothesis goes beyond a family's
wealth and status: If parents have any traits that they can pass on to
their children and that are better for sons than for daughters, then
they will have more boys. Conversely, if parents have any traits that
they can pass on to their children and that are better for daughters,
they will have more girls.

Physical attractiveness, while a universally positive quality,
contributes even more to women's reproductive success than to men's.
The generalized hypothesis would therefore predict that physically
attractive parents should have more daughters than sons. Once again,
this is the case. Americans who are rated "very attractive" have a 56
percent chance of having a daughter for their first child, compared
with 48 percent for everyone else.'
  #16  
Old December 14th 07, 11:35 PM posted to misc.kids
mommycom
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 21
Default Tips on picking baby gender

On Dec 14, 2:23 pm, Beliavsky wrote:
On Dec 14, 5:00 pm, mommycom wrote:

snip

I'm not saying that we won't try again though. Maybe fourth time's the charm for us?


Some research says that relatively stable attributes of a couple
affect the probability they will have a boy, with high status
increasing it and good looks decreasing it.

http://psychologytoday.com/articles/...622-000002.xml
Ten Politically Incorrect Truths About Human Nature
By Alan S. Miller Ph.D., Satoshi Kanazawa Ph.D.

'It is commonly believed that whether parents conceive a boy or a girl
is up to random chance. Close, but not quite; it is largely up to
chance. The normal sex ratio at birth is 105 boys for every 100 girls.
But the sex ratio varies slightly in different circumstances and for
different families. There are factors that subtly influence the sex of
an offspring.

One of the most celebrated principles in evolutionary biology, the
Trivers-Willard hypothesis, states that wealthy parents of high status
have more sons, while poor parents of low status have more daughters.
This is because children generally inherit the wealth and social
status of their parents. Throughout history, sons from wealthy
families who would themselves become wealthy could expect to have a
large number of wives, mistresses and concubines, and produce dozens
or hundreds of children, whereas their equally wealthy sisters can
have only so many children. So natural selection designs parents to
have biased sex ratio at birth depending upon their economic
circumstances--more boys if they are wealthy, more girls if they are
poor. (The biological mechanism by which this occurs is not yet
understood.)

This hypothesis has been documented around the globe. American
presidents, vice presidents, and cabinet secretaries have more sons
than daughters. Poor Mukogodo herders in East Africa have more
daughters than sons. Church parish records from the 17th and 18th
centuries show that wealthy landowners in Leezen, Germany, had more
sons than daughters, while farm laborers and tradesmen without
property had more daughters than sons. In a survey of respondents from
46 nations, wealthy individuals are more likely to indicate a
preference for sons if they could only have one child, whereas less
wealthy individuals are more likely to indicate a preference for
daughters.

The generalized Trivers-Willard hypothesis goes beyond a family's
wealth and status: If parents have any traits that they can pass on to
their children and that are better for sons than for daughters, then
they will have more boys. Conversely, if parents have any traits that
they can pass on to their children and that are better for daughters,
they will have more girls.

Physical attractiveness, while a universally positive quality,
contributes even more to women's reproductive success than to men's.
The generalized hypothesis would therefore predict that physically
attractive parents should have more daughters than sons. Once again,
this is the case. Americans who are rated "very attractive" have a 56
percent chance of having a daughter for their first child, compared
with 48 percent for everyone else.'


Thanks for sharing. Interesting article. So, according to this
particular study, we're poor, but attractive. LOL
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fun Ways to Predict the Gender of Your Baby [email protected] Pregnancy 0 December 6th 07 05:25 PM
baby tips koko Child Support 0 October 1st 07 08:25 AM
Choose The Gender Of Your Baby [email protected] Pregnancy 0 March 11th 07 11:28 AM
Baby Safety Tips [email protected] Pregnancy 0 July 30th 06 08:36 PM
Gender of baby question/poll/opinion. Shelley Pregnancy 38 February 3rd 05 08:11 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 ParentingBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.