Could this be night terrors?

Old March 21st 04, 02:59 PM
Rebecca

Default Could this be night terrors?

Hiya,

Our 5 month baby goes to bed at 7ish and has, for a week now, been
"waking up" screaming up to 3-4 times before we go to bed around
10-11. I say waking up, but when we go in to him, his eyes are nearly
always closed. If we pick him up (even for a second) he generally
stops crying striaght away, but may start when we put him
down....until we pick him up and soothe him some more. When we pick
him up and hold him he either already is asleep or falls asleep
instantly. It only happens early evening (before we go to bed thank
goodness).

This is new as before he would sleep until he wanted a feed, if at
all, in the night.

Ive read a few bits on this thread about night terrors but they appear
to affect older babies/children. Is it possible this could be what is
happening top him at this young age?

Possible reasons Ive read are stuffed sinuses (and yes, he has had a
cold for a couple of weeks) or overtiredness (he is always more than
ready for bed but we wait till 7 as otherwise my husband wouldnt get
to see him). Is it right that it
is a problem with them shifting between deep and REM sleep?

He appears to be so distressed its impossible not to pick him up (as a
few people suggest) as we know it will stop the crying.

So, I ask, does this sound like night terrors to you (even thoug he is
young and it is sorted by a hug) and do you have any advice?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Beccie
Old March 21st 04, 03:52 PM
Sue

Rebecca wrote in message
Our 5 month baby goes to bed at 7ish and has, for a week now, been
"waking up" screaming up to 3-4 times before we go to bed around
10-11. I say waking up, but when we go in to him, his eyes are nearly
always closed. If we pick him up (even for a second) he generally
stops crying striaght away, but may start when we put him
down....until we pick him up and soothe him some more. When we pick
him up and hold him he either already is asleep or falls asleep
instantly. It only happens early evening (before we go to bed thank
goodness).

My dd3 had night terrors and yes it sounds like them, but for her she didn't
have them until she was around 3 years old. The do sound like what she went
through, except for the fact that he calms down once you pick him up.
Nothing would calm my daughter down even if I did hold her, I mean sometimes
it did, but not always. I did find it happened more when she was overtired.
I know your husband wants to see his son, but really your son might do
better by putting him to bed before he is overtired. I know I had to. It was
hard on my husband, but the children's need for sleep was more important and
they grew out of it and then they could stay up longer. I really don't know
what to recommend, because once I started paying attention to getting my
daughter in bed before she got overtired and she got a little older, she
grew out of them. For us, they lasted roughly about a year, on and off of
course. I would look to see if there was anything else though that could be
causing it. Do you think he is in pain, possibly from an ear infection since
he has had a cold? Good luck, I hope you solve the problem. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old March 21st 04, 07:53 PM
Rebecca

Well we went to the doctor and he has no ear infection or sore throat
so we really dont think he can be in pain. We will try the earlier
nights though and see how we get on.

He is going to bed 15 mins early tonight - not muchbut worth a go as a
start.

Thanks
Rebecca

Old March 21st 04, 10:12 PM
Fliss

Hi Rebecca,
Our son did this too. When he was around 5 months old, he would suddenly
start screaming. This went on for about 4 weeks. I was never sure if he was
awake or not - his eyes' would mostly be closed. I'd pick him up, give him a
cuddle and put him down again, which mostly worked, but sometimes it wasn't
enough, and we had to wake him to calm him down. I read somewhere that this
was due to developmental changes at this age, something to do mental
overload(!).
I'm not sure what you can do differently - it passed after a month or so
with us.

Hope this helps,
Fliss

om...

Old March 21st 04, 10:24 PM
nina

NAK
my 5 month old is going thru tht now
she wants to stay awake and interact with the resy of us,she fights sleep
and then is overloaded and miserable and cant get to sleep

Old March 29th 04, 02:26 PM
Rebecca

Well that sounds promising. Thanks! he has actually gone for about 4
nights not doing this, but last night it was back to the usual
screaming until picked up. Fingers crossed it will pass as you say.

The developmental bit sounds feasible - he certainly is changing and
wanting to always be entertained and so aware of his surroundings. 6
month growth spurt must be looming too.

He is still waking up in the night (when we're asleep) for a feed or
two which he had stopped doing for a few weeks. Then I intridued soids
3 weeks ago and he is still waking. I think I need to try to get him
back to sleep without feeding him every time..hard as it is as its a
quick and easy solution!

Cheers
Beccie