Kids over diagnosed and over medicated for ADHD

Old January 23rd 08, 04:03 PM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative
bigvince

Default Kids over diagnosed and over medicated for ADHD

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/94801.php

Study Raises Questions About Diagnosis, Medical Treatment Of ADHD
A new UCLA study shows that only about half of children diagnosed with
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, exhibit the
cognitive defects commonly associated with the condition.

The study also found that in populations where medication is rarely
prescribed to treat ADHD, the prevalence and symptoms of the disorder
are roughly equivalent to populations in which medication is widely
used.......

.......Researchers also found surprising results regarding the
effectiveness of medicine in treating ADHD. In contrast to children in
United States, youth in northern Finland are rarely treated with
medicine for ADHD, yet the 'look' of the disorder its prevalence,
symptoms, psychiatric comorbidity and cognition is relatively the same
as in the U.S., where stimulant medication is widely used. The
researchers point out that this raises important issues about the
efficacy of the current treatments of ADHD in dealing with the
disorder's long-term problems.

"We know medication is very effective in the short-term," said
Smalley, who authored or co-authored each of the papers. "But the
study raises important questions concerning the long-term efficacy of
ADHD treatment. Here we have two different cultures and two different
approaches to treatment, yet at the time of adolescence, there are few
differences in the presentation and problems associated with
ADHD."....

Perhaps the model of treatment here is driven by the drug companies
who we all realise are almost charitable organizations.

Thanks Vince
Old January 23rd 08, 04:35 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Jeff

bigvince wrote:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/94801.php

copyrighted material deleted

Thanks Vince

You're welcome.

Where in the article did it say that kids were either overdiagnosed or
over medicated for ADHD?

Jeff
Old January 23rd 08, 07:28 PM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative
Dave

On Jan 23, 9:03*am, bigvince wrote:
[...]

Vince,

In northern Finland, the locals are used to an herb providing the help
they need.

Most countries in the northern regions of the world use Rhodiola rosea
for ADHD. It is only in the USA that we deem it necessary to use
stimulants.

Dave
Old January 23rd 08, 11:15 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
news.chi.sbcglobal.net

Leave the kids alone already. The stimulants are what cause much of our
present day problems. Whoever heard of ADHD before we were flooded with
anti-depressant .As I have said a thousand times, they have an ability to
transfer harm to an innocent person by the user. Read website
DoctorBrains.org comments on Crohns and Colitis by Kureforcrohns.
Strange to think what one person ingests can harm another, but that is so
with stimulants. And distance does not stop the damage, the mind just
follows the victim and continues doing harm. Stimulants have become a
plague by a a rollover effect.
Gail

Old January 23rd 08, 11:22 PM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
D. C. Sessions

In message , news.chi.sbcglobal.net wrote:

Leave the kids alone already. * *The stimulants are what cause much of our
present day problems. * Whoever heard of ADHD before we were flooded with
anti-depressant

OK, history isn't your forte.

.As I *have said a thousand times, they have an ability to
transfer harm to an innocent person by the user. * Read website
DoctorBrains.org * comments on Crohns and Colitis by Kureforcrohns.
Strange to think what one person ingests can harm another, but that is so
with stimulants. * *And distance does not stop the damage, the mind just
follows the victim and continues doing harm. * *Stimulants have become a
plague by a a rollover effect.

This particular belief has a lot to be said for it, since it's
pretty much untestable.

--
| Bogus as it might seem, people, this really is a deliverable |
| e-mail address. Of course, there isn't REALLY a lumber cartel. |
Old January 24th 08, 03:01 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Jan Drew

"Jeff" wrote in message
bigvince wrote:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/94801.php

copyrighted material deleted

Thanks Vince

You're welcome.

Where in the article did it say that kids were either overdiagnosed or
over medicated for ADHD?

Jeff

It is not an article. It is a study.

Old January 24th 08, 03:48 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Jeff

bigvince wrote:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/94801.php

copyrighted material deleted

Thanks Vince

You're welcome.

Where in the article did it say that kids were either overdiagnosed or
over medicated for ADHD?

Jeff

It is not an article. It is a study.

No, it's an article on a website. It is describing the results of a study.

Nor was there any conclusion that kids are overdiagnosed or over
medicated for ADHD on the page.

Jeff
Old January 24th 08, 04:44 AM posted to misc.kids.health,misc.health.alternative
Peter Bowditch

bigvince wrote:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/94801.php

copyrighted material deleted

Thanks Vince

You're welcome.

Where in the article did it say that kids were either overdiagnosed or
over medicated for ADHD?

Jeff

It is not an article. It is a study.

A study is something you do. An article is something you write. An
article can be a report of a study but it can't be the study itself.

Make a note.

--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old January 27th 08, 04:18 PM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative
Mark Probert

On Jan 23, 11:03*am, bigvince wrote:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/94801.php

Study Raises Questions About Diagnosis, Medical Treatment Of ADHD
A new UCLA study shows that only about half of children diagnosed with
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, exhibit the
cognitive defects commonly associated with the condition.

The study also found that in populations where medication is rarely
prescribed to treat ADHD, the prevalence and symptoms of the disorder
are roughly equivalent to populations in which medication is widely
used.......

Hey, Vince, toyou have a clue as towhat this paragraph means? I'll
help you, as you have yet to demonstrate the ability toread for
comprehension.

Simply put (just for you) it means that those morons who claim that
"Big Pharma" has crfeated the AD/HD "epidemic" had nothing to do with
it! IN fact it suggests that there is no true epidemic.

Thanks for the great article and your post. You continue to prove you
cannot read for compfrehension.
Old January 27th 08, 08:36 PM posted to misc.kids.health, misc.health.alternative
Sammybaby

On 27 Jan, 17:18, Mark Probert wrote:

Simply put (just for you) it means that those morons who claim that
"Big Pharma" has crfeated the AD/HD "epidemic" had nothing to do with
it! IN fact it suggests that there is no true epidemic.

But it often, perhaps usually, is not a disease, but a reaction to the
environment. (see article below) And of course Big Pharma markets
diseases as well as medicines. They are a business and that is what
marketing departments do. The create needs. Why? There is more money
in it. That the patterns these children are exhibiting, those who
actually are, might have sources other than ones ususually tracked and
treated medically is something the BP has tried to downplay, and it
has hired noisy little know so littles like you as part of the PR
campaign to protect their profits.

Food Additives Trigger ADHD in Clinical Trial
Clinical trial links attention deficit/hyperactivity behaviors to
blend of artificial food preservative and colors
by Craig Weatherby

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can take quite a toll
on kids, caregivers, and teachers.

And the widespread prescription of stimulant-type ADHD drugs like
Ritalin for children, whose brains are still forming, makes many
parents and resarchers nervous.

So parents' ears prick up at the hint of anything that might alleviate
ADHD without resort to controversial pharmaceuticals.

We've reported on research indicating that omega-3s may help some
children with ADHD.

A new study suggests that there may be substance to some parents'
claims that their kids' ADHD is triggered or

Key Points

*
Controlled clinical trial yields rare evidence that additives
may cause attention deficits and hyperactivity in kids.
*
Study could not pinpoint which additives were responsible,
because they were mixed together.
*
Chemicals tested included artificial food colors and a common
preservative.

exacerbated by food additives.

While it is widely held, the belief that food additives promote
attention-hyperactivity deficits in children is scientifically
controversial. As the authors of two recent evidence reviews said:

* "... to date, there is little empirical evidence supporting the
effectiveness of dietary restrictions in treating ... attention deficit
hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)." (Cormier E, Elder JH 2007)
* "... a critical review of the literature provides very limited
support for such a relationship [between food additives and
ADHD]." (Cruz NV, Bahna SL 2006)

But the results of a very credible new clinical trial lend weight to
parents' concerns about synthetic chemicals in foods.

New results find fault with common additives
Scientists at University of Southampton in England conducted a well-
designed clinical trial - randomized, double-blind, placebo-
controlled, crossover - intended to test whether intake of artificial
food color and additives (AFCA) would affect children's behavior.

They enrolled 153 three-year-olds and 144 children aged eight to nine
years of age, separated them into three groups, and gave each group a
different drink:

* Test Drink A with sodium benzoate (preservative) and artificial
food color mix A.
* Test Drink B with sodium benzoate (preservative) and artificial
food color mix B.
* Placebo drink free of artificial additives and preservatives.

Each group consumed their beverage daily for six weeks. The
researchers estimated that the test drink groups ingested artificial
additives and preservatives in daily amounts roughly equal to those
found in two standard candy bars.

In addition to a computer test, the children were evaluated by parents
and/or teachers who were unaware of which drinks the children had
consumed.

The researchers found that children of all ages who consumed Test
Drink A were significantly more hyperactive and that they had shorter
attention spans, compared with the placebo drink groups.

No behavior differences were found between the placebo group and Test
Drink B group.

The authors came to this conclusion: "Artificial colors or a sodium
benzoate preservative (or both) in the diet result in increased
hyperactivity in 3-year-old and 8/9-year-old children ..."

Since all the children received a mix of additives, the authors could
not say which of the additives caused problems, but they plan to
conduct further trials to pinpoint the problematic compounds.

Sources

* McCann D, Barrett A, Cooper A, Crumpler D, Dalen L, Grimshaw K,
Kitchin E, Lok K, Porteous L, Prince E, Sonuga-Barke E, Warner JO,
Stevenson J. Food additives and hyperactive behaviour in 3-year-old
and 8/9-year-old children in the community: a randomised, double-
blinded, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2007 Sep 5; [Epub ahead of
print]
* Cormier E, Elder JH. Diet and child behavior problems: fact or
fiction? Pediatr Nurs. 2007 Mar-Apr;33(2):138-43. Review.
* Cruz NV, Bahna SL. Do food or additives cause behavior
disorders? Pediatr Ann. 2006 Oct;35(10):744-5, 748-54. Review.

[PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION]