Students increasingly being arrested for school offenses

Old January 7th 04, 05:51 PM
Doan

Default Students increasingly being arrested for school offenses

He is also a "never-spanked" boy! ;-) It is useful to have him argue
for the anti-spanking zealotS' side.

Doan

On 7 Jan 2004, Fern5827 wrote:

Kane has some problems with violent, abusive verbiage, impulse control, and
anger management.

You just proved my case. Thank you for the public airing of your hostile,
harassing remarks.

Kane has many enemies on many NG's:

From: (Kane)
Date: 1/6/2004 10:46 PM Eastern Standard Time
(Fern5827) wrote in message
BTW, I can already anticipate L's stereotyped response to such a posting.

Why would "L" respond at all?

It's OT in this ng.

She asks ridiculous baiting questions such as "Do you support paddling,
whipping, etc. of children."

I'll go her one better. I KNOW you support paddling and whipping of
children, so I needn't ask. You've posted it here, and you are now
doing it again with your silly game in hopes to stave off the
inevitable....YOU being exposed for the filthy child and family hating
**** you are.

Her only response. Predictable...

Her "only response?" I don't think so.

And she's a teacher??

Wait and see or gather and surmise.

chuckle

Nice try Tarragon, but you won't get out of being responsible for who
and what you a a vicious, nasty, thoughtless, stupid pile of filth.

What you seem to forget when you post something such as this to aps is
that your cohorts have posted many times that 90% or more of parents
spank. Where do you think these angry out of control teens come from
anyway?

My kids, and those of hundreds of families I know that don't use CP
never had such problems with their children.

It's you spanking yahoos that produce these children. And your only
solution: CP.

Kane

Article for NY Times reveals:

From:
(Fern5827)
Date: 1/6/2004 9:39 AM Eastern Standard Time
And we also have many juveniles shifted up to Adult Courts for what

formerly
might have been considered pranks.

All part and parcel of the Criminalize the family, and Permit the child to
get
away with outrageous behavior.

Schools are increasingly summoning the police. Not so nice to see little
Johnny led out of school in handcuffs, nor for parents to face the legal
bills.

Ho hum.......When will folks learn? Courts have ruled repeatedly that fit
parents are presumed to act IN THEIR CHILD'S BEST INTERESTS.

Subject: Arresting Unruly Students
From:
(Mr Munyan)
Date: 1/4/2004 6:57 PM Eastern Standard Time

ARRESTING UNRULY STUDENTS

Greetings:

Now is the time for all good educators to read the following article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/04/education/04TOLE.html

If your browser will not allow you to access this site, then the following

is
cut and pasted text version:
_________________________________________________ _____

Unruly Students Facing Arrest, Not Detention SARA RIMER, The New York

Times
TOLEDO, Ohio (Jan. 3) --

The 14-year-old girl arrived at school here on Oct. 17 wearing a low-cut
midriff top under an unbuttoned sweater. It was a clear violation of the
dress
code, and school officials gave her a bowling shirt to put on. She

refused.

Her mother came to the school with an oversize T-shirt. She refused to

wear
that, too. "It was real ugly," said the girl, whose mother did not want

her
be identified.

It was a standoff. So the city police officer assigned to the school
handcuffed
the girl, put her in a police car and took her to the detention center at

the
Lucas County juvenile courthouse. She was booked on a misdemeanor charge

and
placed in a holding cell for several hours, until her mother, a

34-year-old
vending machine technician, got off work and picked her up.

She was one of more than two dozen students in Toledo who were arrested in
school in October for offenses like being loud and disruptive, cursing at
school officials, shouting at classmates and violating the dress code.

They
had
all violated the city's safe school ordinance.

In cities and suburbs around the country, schools are increasingly sending
students into the juvenile justice system for the sort of adolescent
misbehavior that used to be handled by school administrators. In Toledo

and
many other places, the juvenile detention center has become an extension

of
the
principal's office.

School officials say they have little choice. "The goal is not to put kids
out,
but to maintain classrooms free of disruptions that make it impossible for
teachers to teach and kids to learn," said Jane Bruss, the spokeswoman for
the
Toledo public schowho is concerned about the rise in school-related cases.

There were 1,727 such cases in Lucas County in 2002, up from 1,237 in

2000.
Fred Whitman, the court's intake officer, said that only a handful of

cases -
perhaps 2 percent - were for serious i by student misconduct cases that
should
be handled in the schools.

Although few statistics are available, anecdotal evidence suggests that

such
cases are on the rise. "Everybody agreed - no matter what side of the

system
they're from - that they are seeing increasing numbers of kids coming to
court
for school-based offenses," said Andy Block, who assisted in a 2001 study

of
Virginia's juvenile justice system by the American Bar Association's

Juvenile
Defender Center. "All the professionals in the court system were very
resentful
of this. They felt they were being handed problems and students that the
schools were better equipped to address."

According to an analysis of school arrest data by the Advancement Project,

civil rights advocacy group in Washington, there were 2,345 juvenile

arrests
in
2001 in public schools in Miami-Dade County, Fla., nearly three times as

many
as in 1999. Sixty percent, the project said, were for "simple assaults" -
fights that did not involve weapons -and "miscellaneous" charges,

including
disorderly conduct.

Many of the court cases around the country involve special-education

students
whose behavior is often related to their disabilities, Mr. Block and

others
say.

In an elementary school in northeastern Pennsylvania, an 8-year-old boy in

special-education class was charged with disorderly conduct this fall for

his
behavior in a time-out room: urinating on the floor, throwing his shoes at
the
ceiling and telling a teacher, "Kids rule."

"Teachers and school administrators know now that they can shift these

kids
into juvenile court," said Marsha Levick, legal director for the Juvenile

Law
Center of Philadelphia, which is representing the boy and has asked that

the
charges be dismissed. "The culture has shifted. Juvenile court is seen as

an
antidote for all sorts of behavior that in the past resulted in time out

or
suspension."
_________________________________________________ ____

Yessiree.

If students can now be arrested for disobeying their dress codes, then

they
sure as hell can be arrested for disobeying their uniform policies. As a
long
time supporter of mandatory uniform policies, this is some of the best

news
I've heard in a long time and certainly a step in the right direction.

Let's be honest. Any student who deliberately disobeys a mandatory school
dress code or uniform policy is guilty of opposition to authority and
insubordination.

Any student who displays such behavior is being disruptive to the school
setting. If a student persists in such behavior after one simple warning,
then
that student deserves to be arrested on the spot, handcuffed, and taken to
either a jail or a detention facility. Give them a trial and some time
behind
bars if they are found guilty.

The same thing goes for all other school misbehavior too. Any form of
chronic
school or classroom disruption, opposition to authority, disrespect to any
school
employee, or any other rule violation should be automatic grounds for the
same
consequences as well.

While we're at it, let's slap a hefty fine on the parents too. Maybe if

the
parents knew for certain that they will be fined for the misbehavior of

their
precious little prima donnas, then maybe they would take more

responsibility
for the parenting responsibilities and teach them the sanctity of school
authority.

This may sound harsh, but it's way past time to stop mollycoddling all

these
snot nosed punks, who are running roughshod over their schools and

classrooms
today, as well as the spineless limp wristed parents who let them to get

away
with it.

The sad reality of today is that punishments such as after-school

detentions
and ISS assignments very seldom work anymore and are hard to enforce.

It's
time to get tough.

I don't think I would have to sing this tune if we still had the paddle as

standard utility device in every classroom and a nationwide corps of

teachers
who had the guts and know how to use it. But we don't.

Therefore, we have to look at some other alternatives. If we are not
allowed
to give them a good whipping, then I can't think of a better one than some
mandatory jail time.

If I were President Bush, I would seriously consider placing the

Department
of
Education under the direct authority of the Department of Justice and

invite
Attorney General John Ashcroft to be in charge.

He's already doing a hell of a job keeping our terrorists in line, and I
think
he can do likewise with the snot nosed punks who are terrorizing our

public
schools. Then I would expand his budget and let him hire as many

assistants
he
needs to do the job.

The bottom line is that it's high time to enlist the assistance of our
federal
government and local law enforcement agencies to bring back order and
discipline back to our nation's public schools.

Very Sincerely,

Arthur Claude Munyan, Sr.

Ability grouping Nevermind General 71 November 11th 03 03:52 PM
Embarrassing Students Isn't "Discipline" billy f General 15 July 16th 03 02:43 PM