curved spine?

Old December 5th 03, 08:57 PM
lm

Default curved spine?

I just got word my third grader is developing a slight curve in his
spine. They're telling me it's quite common at this age, more so with
girls than with boys, and that they'll probably just monitor it.
Anyone have any experience with this? This kid's got better posture
than any of us, and he had a thorough physical in June that didn't
show anything (the new physical was by the school physician in our new
state).

lm
Old December 5th 03, 11:14 PM
Andrew

"lm" wrote in message
I just got word my third grader is developing a slight curve in his
spine. They're telling me it's quite common at this age, more so with
girls than with boys, and that they'll probably just monitor it.
Anyone have any experience with this? This kid's got better posture
than any of us, and he had a thorough physical in June that didn't
show anything (the new physical was by the school physician in our new
state).

lm

Hi,

What they are probably talking about is scoliosis which is more common in
girls than boys. Its a sideways curve of the spine so people may have a very
upright posture but still suffer from a sideways curve. With a growing kid a
thing called a Boston Brace may be used, this is only used a couple of hours
a day so not necessarily when they are at school (in case there are worries
about peers reactions), these are apparently pretty effective in guiding
development so not necessary for long term use, the spine will straighten.
It is a problem with adults as the brace won't help since growth has
stopped. I have no experience with kids but have slight scoliosis I am doing
physio for at the moment as a result of some fairly hefty damage to the body
some years back. Like your kid you can't spot it looking at me, it came up
in an X Ray.

Don't worry over much about it, should not be a major problem at all and may
sort itself out as well but even in a worst case you have options to correct
it without any really drastic action.

Andrew

Old December 5th 03, 11:28 PM
Tiffany

Andrew wrote in message

"lm" wrote in message
[...]

Worry no but definitely look into getting it corrected with physical therapy
or look into alternative stuff.

Old December 6th 03, 01:53 PM
lm

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 23:14:57 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew"
wrote:

"lm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thank you Andrew. I appreciate the information. Would you mind telling
me whether you have any pain or discomfort from your scoliosis, or
whether it has limited your mobility at all?

lm

Old December 6th 03, 07:05 PM
Andrew

"Tiffany" wrote in message

Andrew wrote in message

"lm" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah,
Sorry lm. I guess my saying not to worry over much is unrealistic. I was
told a couple of weeks ago that my daughter is slightly flat footed and not
as physically confident as some of the other kids. I was also told not to
worry. I have since taken her to a GP, a Physiotherapist, bought her a
trampoline (they said that kind of exercise will promote her arch) and
completely new sets of shoes with nicely arched inserts. All that despite
them telling me that I should just keep a watching brief till she is 7, they
did make the mistake of mentioning all those things might help.

So like Tiff says, best for the child and your peace to get it attended to.
However its not the end of the world.

Andrew

Old December 6th 03, 10:43 PM
Betsy

"lm" wrote in message
I just got word my third grader is developing a slight curve in his
spine. They're telling me it's quite common at this age, more so with
girls than with boys, and that they'll probably just monitor it.
Anyone have any experience with this? This kid's got better posture
than any of us, and he had a thorough physical in June that didn't
show anything (the new physical was by the school physician in our new
state).

lm

My son was found to have the same thing, only in 6th grade. It happens
sometimes during periods of dramatic growth. My son was 4'8" at beginning
of 6th grade (August 2002) and is now (December 2003) 5'4" and still
growing. He seems to grow about an inch a month lately. It's something to
be monitored, and the pediatrician is the best one to check with. Good Luck

Betsy

Old December 6th 03, 10:46 PM
Betsy

"Andrew" wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

Andrew wrote in message

"lm" wrote in message
[...]

Let me tell you about no arches. Sometimes nothing helps. She may or may
not develop an arch. I didn't. Still don't. I pronate when I walk, and no
amount of arches in shoes helps, because once I break the shoes in, the arch
breaks down. Special inserts from a podiatrist are the only thing that
helps me, and they may help your daughter as she is still growing. Good
luck.

Betsy

Old December 6th 03, 11:20 PM
Misty

Im,

Scoliosis runs in my family; both my mother and father have this and
three out of the four of us children do as well. While it is 'common',
it's still painful and I would do any and all
treatment/recommendation/follow-ups that I could. While growing up my
family didn't have much money, went to the doc only when necessary.
This condition was just accepted I guess, but as an adult I wish more
would have been done as a kid, because I have a lot of back problems -
and it's no fun! Good luck to your child!

Old December 7th 03, 08:57 AM
Andrew

"Betsy" wrote in message
m...

"Andrew" wrote in message

"Tiffany" wrote in message

Andrew wrote in message

"lm" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. She has a good arch when foot is at rest but then flattens it
walking. They did say that if by 7 no change then the inserts by podiatrist
would be the route to go. Glad to hear it helps should it become necessary

Andrew

Old December 7th 03, 12:30 PM
Andrew

"Betsy" wrote in message
m...

Let me tell you about no arches. Sometimes nothing helps. She may or may
not develop an arch. I didn't. Still don't. I pronate when I walk, and

no
amount of arches in shoes helps, because once I break the shoes in, the

arch
breaks down. Special inserts from a podiatrist are the only thing that
helps me, and they may help your daughter as she is still growing. Good
luck.

Betsy

How much hassle does it give you? Is it something that you are aware of
daily or not? Just want an idea of what it could be like down the line for
her.

Andrew