Is letting a baby sleep on your chest a big no-no?

Old September 4th 06, 04:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Is letting a baby sleep on your chest a big no-no?

I've seen elsewhere people comment that they're 'bad parents' for
letting their baby sleep on their chest (I have asked there as well).
Is this like sleeping on the stomach and another SIDS risk?

DD *always* naps on my chest during the day. It's the only way to
assure a nap that's greater than 30 minutes!

Old September 4th 06, 05:35 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen elsewhere people comment that they're 'bad parents' for
letting their baby sleep on their chest (I have asked there as well).
Is this like sleeping on the stomach and another SIDS risk?

DD *always* naps on my chest during the day. It's the only way to
assure a nap that's greater than 30 minutes!

DS slept on my chest and he's alive and kicking 5 and a half years later.
I had actually asked my mom at the time about this, as everyone rants and
raves about SIDS and stomach sleeping for infants.
The major concern that would be with having a baby sleep on you is you
rolling or something, having the baby fall off of you or the bed, something
like that. If, though, you're not in a deep sleep - awake or just resting,
there's not so much of a problem, IME. Stomach sleeping is a problem if the
baby stops breating or something - this should be something you should be
able to notice ASAP if DD is right on you, as opposed to being in a crib,
basinette or something similar.
If she sleeps better while sleeping on you, and you don't mind, just keep an
eye and ear out. The only thing I didn't care much for when I had DS sleep
on me was that it came to a point where he would NOT sleep on his own -
co-sleeping was not the thing for me or what I had ultimately wanted.
I don't have any stats or proof one way or the other, so I really can't
answer your question based on anything but my own experience.

Old September 4th 06, 02:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen elsewhere people comment that they're 'bad parents' for
letting their baby sleep on their chest (I have asked there as well).
Is this like sleeping on the stomach and another SIDS risk?

I have never heard that it is. Hunter did all the time for over a year. I
think the biggest risk would be if the parent fell asleep and the baby
slipped down and got stuck in between the parent and the chair or something.
I always watched dh real closely because he sleeps so soundly and he'd also
have a beer or two in the evening at times and even a little alcohol made me
very paranoid so I'd never sleep if Hunter was napping on dh. Which is
unfortunate because I was so sleep deprived myself!
\

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old September 4th 06, 02:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

it may actually be safer than anything, something to do with them feeling
your heartbeat, but of course that only applies if they actually stay on
your chest.
Anne

Old September 4th 06, 04:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Rebecca Jo

"cjra" wrote:

I've seen elsewhere people comment that they're 'bad parents' for
letting their baby sleep on their chest (I have asked there as well).
Is this like sleeping on the stomach and another SIDS risk?

DD *always* naps on my chest during the day. It's the only way to
assure a nap that's greater than 30 minutes!

I think it's fine. My midwife told me not to let the baby sleep on his
stomach *unless* he was on my chest. He slept wonderfully that way for a
many months.

rj

Old September 5th 06, 08:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

cjra wrote:

I've seen elsewhere people comment that they're 'bad parents' for
letting their baby sleep on their chest (I have asked there as well).
Is this like sleeping on the stomach and another SIDS risk?

DD *always* naps on my chest during the day. It's the only way to
assure a nap that's greater than 30 minutes!

How wonderful! I miss those days. What feeling
beats having a sleeping baby on your chest,
breathing softly, the whole world in your arms?
Pillbug has his own bed now and Rocky would
rather turn sideways and dig his feet into me
after nursing to sleep.

-- Anita --