Children's Book-of-the-Month Club (U.S.A.)

Old January 2nd 04, 11:15 PM
Sara

Default Children's Book-of-the-Month Club (U.S.A.)

Any reviews on the Children's Book-of-the-Month Club? I just got some
junk mail from them, and it's tempting. I know book club books are
usually of low quality, but I wouldn't expect kid's books to be of
heirloom quality anyway.

--
Sara, accompanied by the book-loving barnacle
Old January 3rd 04, 02:32 AM
LFortier

Sara wrote:
Any reviews on the Children's Book-of-the-Month Club? I just got some
junk mail from them, and it's tempting. I know book club books are
usually of low quality, but I wouldn't expect kid's books to be of
heirloom quality anyway.

We did it for a while. If memory serves, we got some pretty
good picture books (Stellaluna, etc.), but after a while the
offerings got repetitious and there was pretty limited
selection for a beginning reader.

hth-
Lesley

Old January 4th 04, 02:23 AM
Naomi Pardue

Any reviews on the Children's Book-of-the-Month Club?

We've been members for many years. The books are good quality, since they are
standard publishers editions of books you can buy at any bookstore. (Unlike
many kids book clubs, where you get books published specifically for the club,
where the quality of both writing and production is often questionable.)

Also, unlike many children's books clubs, this club does not send you books
every month if you want them or not. You decide what books you want to buy, and
either call or return the card before the deadline to order or refuse.

The selection is not vast, but you don't have to buy very many books to fulfill
the committment, so you can usually find plenty of things to interest you.

The prices are fair. By the time you pay shipping you aren't going to save
much over what you'd pay from Amazon or your local book store, but neither do
you pay a premium for the privalege.

As long as you are good about remembering to return the card/call, I think it's
a good deal. If you are forgetful (like I am)... you can end up with more
books than you intend ... but there are, of course, worse things in the world
than too many books .... (And rarely have we ended up with books that we
absolutely DON"T want...)

I will probably be dropping soon, since Shaina is getting to the top of the age
range, but we've been members since she was a toddler, and I've always been
happy with them.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old January 4th 04, 02:34 AM
lizzard woman

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message

As long as you are good about remembering to return the card/call, I think

it's
a good deal. If you are forgetful (like I am)... you can end up with more
books than you intend ... but there are, of course, worse things in the

world
than too many books .... (And rarely have we ended up with books that we
absolutely DON"T want...)

I've been a member for years also. We have built the girls' library largely
with these books.

I got sick of always having to send the card back saying I don't want any
books that month and requested they do something about it. They did! They
started sending postcards that indicated that I wouldn't receive the monthly
selection UNLESS I returned the card. Just request that change and they
will do it.

I am very happy with CBOM Club.

--
sharon, momma to savannah and willow (11/11/94)

Old January 4th 04, 03:49 PM
Sue

Naomi Pardue wrote in message
As long as you are good about remembering to return the card/call, I
think it's a good deal. If you are forgetful (like I am)... you can end up
with more books than you intend ... but there are, of course, worse things

in the world than too many books .... (And rarely have we ended up with
books that we absolutely DON"T want...)

And of course, if you do end up with too many books, they can always be used
as presents for others. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 5th 04, 01:37 AM
Naomi Pardue

And of course, if you do end up with too many books, they can always be used
as presents for others. )
--

Yeah, I've used some of the unwanted books in that way.