Center for troubled teens is under fire

Old February 4th 04, 04:59 PM
wexwimpy

Default Center for troubled teens is under fire

Center for troubled teens is under fire
BY JACK KRESNAK FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
January 29, 2004
MARLETTE -- At Teen Ranch, the Ten Commandments are posted for
resident juvenile delinquents to see.
"Jesus is the reason for all seasons" is on the message board in the
administration building.
Dozens of Michigan's private, nonprofit agencies that work with
troubled kids under contracts with the state are faith-based and offer
spiritually enriching programs as a way to rebuild the lives of
children who have gone astray.
But Teen Ranch, which proclaims its Christian perspective, is the only
such agency in trouble with the Michigan Family Independence Agency
for allegedly forcing kids to participate in religious activities.
"They're saying that because we have religious training -- which we've
always had for 37 years -- that we are in violation of the separation
of church and state," said Mick Koster, chief operating officer of
Teen Ranch, based in Michigan's Thumb area.
Koster said the claim is false.
"We haven't changed," Koster said. "Now, all of a sudden, we're in
violation of the First Amendment."
On Nov. 6, the FIA slapped a moratorium on placing juvenile
delinquents at Teen Ranch because, the FIA said, the organization
forces kids to participate in religious activities.
A group of conservative lawyers is set to defend Teen Ranch in court.
In a Jan. 9 letter to Teen Ranch, the FIA said "seven youths reported
being required to participate in religious services" and "three youths
specifically stated that they would 'lose points' if they did not
attend and participate in religious services."
One girl told the FIA that she was required to attend a rehabilitation
program called the River, which Teen Ranch describes as "a healing
program designed to guide youths to discovering God's power in helping
them overcome life's difficulties," according to a letter sent by
Debora Buchanan, manager of the FIA's purchased care division.
The River is a Christian program for teens who need help with
relationships, Koster said. It is not exclusive to Teen Ranch.
A Teen Ranch pamphlet states that "The River is a place where youth
can: Deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ . . . Each youth will
be expected to participate as a part of their treatment here at Teen
Ranch."
But no child is forced to participate in the River or any other
religious activity, Koster said. "It's not effective to force them to
participate," he said.
Youths are placed at Teen Ranch or other such facilities after they
have been convicted in juvenile court and committed to the care of the
FIA.
Teen Ranch has room for 72 boys and girls in a half-dozen homes at two
campuses. It also licenses more than 40 foster homes for abused and
neglected children.
Koster said Christian values are a part of the program, but religious
activities are not funded by the state, which pays Teen Ranch $129 per
day, per child. The salary for a chaplain and costs for other
faith-based counseling such as the River are paid through private
donations, Koster said.
In last week's State of the Union address, however, President George
W. Bush called for increased public funding to faith-based
institutions serving disadvantaged and poor people.
Sunday services, youth meetings and special religious events are
offered at Teen Ranch. In addition, Koster said, every child slated to
enter Teen Ranch is asked to read and sign the policy statement that
says Teen Ranch is an independent, nondenominational Christian
facility whose mission is "providing hope to young people and families
through life-changing relationships and experiences from a Christian
perspective."
The conservative Alliance Defense Fund, an Arizona-based legal group
that defends the rights of Christian institutions to spread the
Gospel, is threatening to sue the FIA if it doesn't lift the
moratorium by Friday.
"We think we have good grounds to file a federal lawsuit," said Gary
McCaleb, senior counsel for the ADF.
In a strongly worded letter to the FIA on Jan 21, McCaleb said "Teen
Ranch is suffering serious economic impact" due to the moratorium.
"Meanwhile, FIA is deprived of one of its historically most effective
providers . . . children who would benefit from the love, care and
proven techniques of Teen Ranch are being denied what is perhaps their
best chance for a productive, happy future."
FIA spokeswoman Maureen Sorbet said Wednesday that the agency plans to
meet with Teen Ranch soon.
Wendy Wagenheim, a spokeswoman for the American Civil Liberties Union
in Detroit, said that judging by Teen Ranch's Web site, the agency
appears to be using tax dollars for a "pervasively sectarian program."
"When taxpayer dollars are being used to fund religion, that's where
the issue crosses the line," she said. "When you're asking a child to
sign an affirmation to Jesus Christ, I think it's fairly obvious that
shouldn't be done."
Officials at two other Christian-based juvenile rehabilitation centers
-- Eagle Village in Hersey and Wedgewood Christian Services in Grand
Rapids -- said they carefully separate FIA funds from private
donations that pay for religious activities
http://www.freep.com/news/childrenfi...9_20040129.htm
Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.
Old February 5th 04, 03:43 PM
Fern5827

What do you do if you are Jewish or Muslim?

Wex found out about Christian centers:

Subject: Center for troubled teens is under fire