For the herb experts again - EPO, Red Raspberry, Vitex

Old October 9th 03, 06:47 PM
Sophie

Default For the herb experts again - EPO, Red Raspberry, Vitex

Another group I post to has some questions.

~Is it okay to take Evening Primrose Oil when you're TTC?

I'm guessing it is. It helps with PMS and stuff. It wouldn't prevent
ovulation, would it?

~And Red Raspberry Leaf Tea?

I'm guessing you should not take this while TTC. Doesn't it help your
uterus get ready for labor at the end of your pregnancy? So you don't want
to take it while TTC, do you?

~How do we know 120 mg is the magic amount of Vitex? Most women can only
find 500 mg capsules. Several fertility websites say to take 1000 mg a day.
Why is that too much?

I can't answer that one.

Thanks.

--
Sophie -
TTC #4 - month #2

Old October 9th 03, 10:29 PM
Daye

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:47:33 -0400, "Sophie"
wrote:

~And Red Raspberry Leaf Tea?

I'm guessing you should not take this while TTC. Doesn't it help your
uterus get ready for labor at the end of your pregnancy? So you don't want
to take it while TTC, do you?

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea can also cause your period to come. So if you
have irregular periods or something, it will help you induce a period.
Or at least that is my understanding.

My friends who have more knowledge have all told me NOT to take it
when TTC or in the first trimester.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old October 9th 03, 10:50 PM
Tatjana Farkin

"Sophie" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

~Is it okay to take Evening Primrose Oil when you're TTC?

I'm guessing it is. It helps with PMS and stuff. It wouldn't prevent
ovulation, would it?

It can help increase cervical mucous, so it's actually beneficial for
TTC :-)

~And Red Raspberry Leaf Tea?

I'm guessing you should not take this while TTC. Doesn't it help your
uterus get ready for labor at the end of your pregnancy? So you don't

want
to take it while TTC, do you?

My herbalism books list it as a fertility enhancer, and it's in a lot of
"well woman" teas here in Germany.

~How do we know 120 mg is the magic amount of Vitex? Most women can

only
find 500 mg capsules. Several fertility websites say to take 1000 mg

a day.
Why is that too much?

I've always heard that too much can prevent ovulation, but I don't know
the details. Maybe because it can raise LH or progesterone levels?
Joanna?

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Old October 10th 03, 06:33 PM
Sophie

wrote:

~And Red Raspberry Leaf Tea?

I'm guessing you should not take this while TTC. Doesn't it help your
uterus get ready for labor at the end of your pregnancy? So you don't

want
to take it while TTC, do you?

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea can also cause your period to come. So if you
have irregular periods or something, it will help you induce a period.
Or at least that is my understanding.

Oh interesting. Didn't know that.

My friends who have more knowledge have all told me NOT to take it
when TTC or in the first trimester.

--
Daye

I wouldn't either.

Thanks.

Old October 10th 03, 06:34 PM
Sophie

~Is it okay to take Evening Primrose Oil when you're TTC?

I'm guessing it is. It helps with PMS and stuff. It wouldn't prevent
ovulation, would it?

It can help increase cervical mucous, so it's actually beneficial for
TTC :-)

Had no idea! Wow, thanks.

~And Red Raspberry Leaf Tea?

I'm guessing you should not take this while TTC. Doesn't it help your
uterus get ready for labor at the end of your pregnancy? So you don't

want
to take it while TTC, do you?

My herbalism books list it as a fertility enhancer, and it's in a lot of
"well woman" teas here in Germany.

Interesting. Seems like I'm getting conflicting info on this one.

~How do we know 120 mg is the magic amount of Vitex? Most women can

only
find 500 mg capsules. Several fertility websites say to take 1000 mg

a day.
Why is that too much?

I've always heard that too much can prevent ovulation, but I don't know
the details. Maybe because it can raise LH or progesterone levels?
Joanna?

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Where *is* Joanna?

Old October 10th 03, 06:53 PM
Tatjana Farkin

"Sophie" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Where *is* Joanna?

That's what I was wondering as well. I hope it just means she's either
busy or (unfortunately) still dealing with that debilitating morning
sickness she had.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Old October 11th 03, 11:38 AM
Cheryl

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:34:08 -0400, "Sophie"
wrote:

~And Red Raspberry Leaf Tea?

I'm guessing you should not take this while TTC. Doesn't it help your
uterus get ready for labor at the end of your pregnancy? So you don't

want
to take it while TTC, do you?

My herbalism books list it as a fertility enhancer, and it's in a lot of
"well woman" teas here in Germany.

Interesting. Seems like I'm getting conflicting info on this one.

From what I read several years ago, the conflicting advice is due to a
misunderstanding of what RRL tea actually does. It does not actually
help you get your period or encourage miscarriage, but if you are
going to have your period or going to miscarry anyway it causes it to
happen in a more efficient fashion, ie heavy bleeding and over and
done with quickly. The uterine toning effect is the same at either
end of pregnancy, it's just that if the muscles are getting ready to
expel a uterine lining (ie your period) it will happen more
effectively like it will help your uterine muscles expel a baby more
effectively.

~How do we know 120 mg is the magic amount of Vitex? Most women can

only
find 500 mg capsules. Several fertility websites say to take 1000 mg

a day.
Why is that too much?

I don't remember why it is too much, but the reason it is usually
found in higher concentrations is because it's predominantly marketed
at menopausal women. I'm guessing that means it helps raise oestrogen
levels since that is what they are usually short of, so taking too
much can cause an imbalance of progesterone which is bad
post-ovulation and may delay ovulation entirely if taken in excess
pre-ovulation. -- this is just my personal evaluation, take it or
leave it.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
Old October 11th 03, 12:28 PM
Sophie

From what I read several years ago, the conflicting advice is due to a
misunderstanding of what RRL tea actually does. It does not actually
help you get your period or encourage miscarriage, but if you are
going to have your period or going to miscarry anyway it causes it to
happen in a more efficient fashion, ie heavy bleeding and over and
done with quickly. The uterine toning effect is the same at either
end of pregnancy, it's just that if the muscles are getting ready to
expel a uterine lining (ie your period) it will happen more
effectively like it will help your uterine muscles expel a baby more
effectively.

Oooh okay, that makes sense.

I don't remember why it is too much, but the reason it is usually
found in higher concentrations is because it's predominantly marketed
at menopausal women.

True, I've noticed that.

I'm guessing that means it helps raise oestrogen
levels since that is what they are usually short of, so taking too
much can cause an imbalance of progesterone which is bad
post-ovulation and may delay ovulation entirely if taken in excess
pre-ovulation. -- this is just my personal evaluation, take it or
leave it.

--
Cheryl

Okay.

I looked up Vitex and the right amount. I got everything from 4 mg being
effective to 1000 mg. The amount I saw the most on various websites was 145
mg. (I just put Vitex and fertility in Google.) I'm sticking with 120 mg
for now.

Thanks.

Old October 11th 03, 04:03 PM
Tatjana Farkin

"Cheryl" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

My herbalism books list it as a fertility enhancer, and it's in a

lot of
"well woman" teas here in Germany.

Interesting. Seems like I'm getting conflicting info on this one.

From what I read several years ago, the conflicting advice is due to a
misunderstanding of what RRL tea actually does. It does not actually
help you get your period or encourage miscarriage, but if you are
going to have your period or going to miscarry anyway it causes it to
happen in a more efficient fashion, ie heavy bleeding and over and
done with quickly. The uterine toning effect is the same at either
end of pregnancy, it's just that if the muscles are getting ready to
expel a uterine lining (ie your period) it will happen more
effectively like it will help your uterine muscles expel a baby more
effectively.

Exactly. It's a uterine toner, but many people don't understand how
that's different from *causing* contractions or *causing* bleeding. RRL
is also in pregnancy teas that are recommended by midwives in Germany
from the get-go.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years

Old October 11th 03, 04:04 PM
Tatjana Farkin

"Sophie" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I looked up Vitex and the right amount. I got everything from 4 mg

being
effective to 1000 mg. The amount I saw the most on various websites

was 145
mg. (I just put Vitex and fertility in Google.) I'm sticking with

120 mg
for now.

I believe a lot of studies into the safety and efficiency of vitex have
been conducted in Germany (where it's completely normal that gyns
prescribe it for their patients). And we're always told to take 40mg
here.

--
Tatjana
PCOS - TTC #1 for 2 years