When did daycares become "schools"?

Old October 7th 03, 06:49 AM
P. Tierney

Default When did daycares become "schools"?

Is it just my area, or are more and more parents who send their 1-3
year olds to daycares refer to them as "schools"? If so, why? Are
the parents trying to make themselves feel better about where their
kids are, or are the daycares trying to pump themselves up in some way?

I don't get it. I've never heard a parent with a similar aged child
at home saying that she/he was "homeschooling" their kid, so I'm
wondering why daycares, or the parents who send them there, do
the same. Or, maybe they don't where you live. But in my mind,
"school" begins at preschool, which is around age four. LMK what
it's like to others. Thx.

P. Tierney

Old October 7th 03, 07:04 AM
toypup

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
newstsgb.510823$Oz4.369466@rwcrnsc54...
Is it just my area, or are more and more parents who send their 1-3
year olds to daycares refer to them as "schools"? If so, why? Are
the parents trying to make themselves feel better about where their
kids are, or are the daycares trying to pump themselves up in some way?

I don't get it. I've never heard a parent with a similar aged child
at home saying that she/he was "homeschooling" their kid, so I'm
wondering why daycares, or the parents who send them there, do
the same. Or, maybe they don't where you live. But in my mind,
"school" begins at preschool, which is around age four. LMK what
it's like to others. Thx.

Because there is a difference in focus between the two and they do have
preschool for very young kids. My friend took her child out of daycare and
placed her in preschool at 18 months. I think the difference was the
emphasis on academics and learning. The child would come home with finished
art projects and such, but she didn't do the projects herself, obviously.
Mostly, they cut out a shape for her and she scribbled over it or decorated
it with stickers. My friend's reason for doing it was because she wanted
her daughter to be stimulated academically. At the daycare, she was just
playing. There was no attempt at teaching her anything like they would in
preschool. I happen to think kids get a lot out of playing at that age.
Needless to say, DS (2yo) is still in daycare.

Old October 7th 03, 09:35 AM
Clisby

P. Tierney wrote:
Is it just my area, or are more and more parents who send their 1-3
year olds to daycares refer to them as "schools"? If so, why? Are
the parents trying to make themselves feel better about where their
kids are, or are the daycares trying to pump themselves up in some way?

I don't get it. I've never heard a parent with a similar aged child
at home saying that she/he was "homeschooling" their kid, so I'm
wondering why daycares, or the parents who send them there, do
the same. Or, maybe they don't where you live. But in my mind,
"school" begins at preschool, which is around age four. LMK what
it's like to others. Thx.

P. Tierney

I don't have the idea that preschool is for 4-year-olds; it's for
children who are "pre-school" age (i.e., younger than 5), and there's
some sort of curriculum/learning plan going on. For example, there is a
Montessori curriculum for children starting at 18 months old, although
it's much more common for children to start a Montessori program at 2.5
- 3.

Also, and this is based just on my experience - the preschools I'm aware
of don't provide day-long care like a daycare center. Typically a
child would go 3-4 hours a day, at most. At the one my son attends, a
1-year-old can go, at most, 3 mornings a week.

Clisby

Old October 7th 03, 11:48 AM
Donna Metler

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
newstsgb.510823$Oz4.369466@rwcrnsc54...
Is it just my area, or are more and more parents who send their 1-3
year olds to daycares refer to them as "schools"? If so, why? Are
the parents trying to make themselves feel better about where their
kids are, or are the daycares trying to pump themselves up in some way?

I don't get it. I've never heard a parent with a similar aged child
at home saying that she/he was "homeschooling" their kid, so I'm
wondering why daycares, or the parents who send them there, do
the same. Or, maybe they don't where you live. But in my mind,
"school" begins at preschool, which is around age four. LMK what
it's like to others. Thx.

Actually, I hear a LOT of parents of toddlers/preschoolers refer to what
they do as "homeschooling"-maybe because there is a strong homeschool group
here, and many of the churches strongly support homeschooling.

I think the change started to happen when kindergarten became an academic
program, and therefore the learning which happened in kindergarten was
pushed lower. At this point, it is expected that a child will come into
kindergarten with group experience, which still seems wrong to me. A child
with only the half-day, three day a week preschool I had as a child would be
seen as being "under-prepared".

P. Tierney

Old October 7th 03, 12:03 PM
Banty

In article , Clisby says...

P. Tierney wrote:
[...]

Around here many of the larger daycare centers (and even some of the smaller,
like the two-person family care my son went to) do preschool programs as part of
the daycare. It's a good sign actually, a reflection of the Early Childhood
Education degrees of a lot of the people who take this business up.

Banty

Old October 7th 03, 12:27 PM
Sophie

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
newstsgb.510823$Oz4.369466@rwcrnsc54...
Is it just my area, or are more and more parents who send their 1-3
year olds to daycares refer to them as "schools"? If so, why? Are
the parents trying to make themselves feel better about where their
kids are, or are the daycares trying to pump themselves up in some way?

I don't get it. I've never heard a parent with a similar aged child
at home saying that she/he was "homeschooling" their kid, so I'm
wondering why daycares, or the parents who send them there, do
the same. Or, maybe they don't where you live. But in my mind,
"school" begins at preschool, which is around age four. LMK what
it's like to others. Thx.

P. Tierney

My son goes to a preschool playgroup at a daycare center 3 mornings a week.
It's easier to tell him "hey you have school today" then "hey you have
preschool playgroup today". Plus his older (by 16 months) sister goes to
school (kindergarten) so he likes to think he goes to school too. I don't
see the harm in it. However if I worked and he was in daycare, I'd call it
daycare.

Technically we don't have preschool here. School's not mandatory I believe
in NC till 1st grade. Elementary schools here (where I live) start with
pre-Kindergarten for 4 yrs olds. They're pretty clear it's pre-K and not
preschool - the words are not interchangeable here for some reason.

Old October 7th 03, 12:28 PM
Ruth Baltopoulos

"P. Tierney" wrote:

: Is it just my area, or are more and more parents who
send their 1-3
: year olds to daycares refer to them as "schools"? If so,
why? Are
: the parents trying to make themselves feel better about
where their
: kids are, or are the daycares trying to pump themselves up
in some way?

Ahhh, the burning question. Being in the family childcare
field, and having examined this question with great
intensity, I have a number of theories I can only speak
for the Boston, MA area, which is where I run my business,
and for family child cares as opposed to centers, as that is
my experience. As far as the 'daycares trying to pump
themselves up in some way', why would a child care wish to
do that if not for the parents (and that statement is
somewhat telling, btw EG)?

First of all, many of the parents *in my town* feel that
their children *must* be in some type of school by 2.9.
Regardless of the child's best interests, maturity,
happiness in current situation, etc. At 2.9, they will go
to preschool. There is much time spent discussing options,
who goes where and why, and if you are not sending your
child at 2.9, why on earth not?

Secondly, parents like to say that their child is in school.
Many of my clients refer to my program as school, and
encourage their children to call it that as well. Not my
doing, nor could I care in the least. I draw the line at
them referring to me as their teacher, or Miss Ruth

Thirdly, licensed family child care situations are expected
to have a schedule which includes age appropriate learning
activities that keep children stimulated and engaged. The
licensing requirements are constantly changing in this
respect, steering the FCCs toward a preschool mold. When
one becomes licensed or applies for relicensing, it is
necessary to outline your 'plan' for your daily program.

Fourthly, when a FCC becomes 'accredited' or 'certified'
with one of the national accreditation programs, you are
basically being forced into emulating a preschool setting in
order to be successful in completing the course. Many
family child care programs are resisting being jammed into
the preschool mold, but if you have any interest in seeking
these optional accreditations and certifications, this is
the direction you are sent in.

Fifthly, in a business sense, since most of the parents are
so school focused, FCC settings need to offer a preschool
component in order to remain competitive. Many of the
preschools are now offering full day programs and accepting
infants. This is cutting into a large segment of the
population of children that would normally go to a FCC.

I believe that most of the above would apply to the larger
daycare centers as well.

: I don't get it. I've never heard a parent with a
similar aged child
: at home saying that she/he was "homeschooling" their kid,
so I'm
: wondering why daycares, or the parents who send them
there, do
: the same. Or, maybe they don't where you live. But in my
mind,
: "school" begins at preschool, which is around age four.
LMK what
: it's like to others. Thx.

Do keep in mind that some of us in the FCC field have
children in our programs until they attend kindergarten.
School begins at 2.9 in my town, so it behooves anyone that
cares for children to include a preschool component in their
program.

Ruth B

Old October 7th 03, 01:43 PM
Naomi Pardue

Is it just my area, or are more and more parents who send their 1-3
year olds to daycares refer to them as "schools"?

At that age, I think it's more for the kids. Little kids like to think
themselves 'grown-up' and 'going to school.'

For the slightely older preschool kids (and would include the 3 years olds, and
probably the older 2's as well), any decent daycare is going to include some
preschool-type curriculum anyway, so the line between a 'daycare' and a
'preschool' once you get past the infant stage is pretty vague.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old October 7th 03, 01:45 PM
Naomi Pardue

But in my mind,
"school" begins at preschool, which is around age four. LMK what
it's like to others. Thx.

Missed this part. The preschools where I sent Shaina all started at 3 or 2
1/2. The preschool where I work takes kids from 18 months. (Though the
curriculum for the youngest kids [the under 2's] is minimal -- lots of free
play and some story time.)

Old October 7th 03, 02:32 PM
Chookie

In article Dtsgb.510823$Oz4.369466@rwcrnsc54,
"P. Tierney" wrote:

Is it just my area, or are more and more parents who send their 1-3
year olds to daycares refer to them as "schools"?

Are you in the US? I ask because it took years to wean our (American)
minister away from calling University "school". Presumably it's a word that
in American English is increasing in scope to cover any place where you send
your child for education and enrichment.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc