Baby outside

Old May 25th 04, 06:43 PM
Jacqui

Default Baby outside

Kari wibbled

It's not recommended to put sunscreen on babies less than 6 mos
but I'd ask your dr. if you're concerned because Im not sure WHY
it's not recommended.

My aunt is a paediatric dermatologist so I've had a chat with her
about this. It's basically because a lot of people think sunscreen
is magic protection and will keep a child out way too long because
they're using it. A blanket unrecommendation (IYSWIM) for under-six-
month-olds saves a lot of sunburnt babies appearing in doctors'
waiting rooms. Given that most adults can't get the sunscreen
protection times right, putting a very young child in danger of
burning is a) quite likely and b) definitely undesirable. Newborns
have very delicate skin, clearly, but a five month old is still in
danger of burning more than say a ten month old. There's also a good
argument for putting as little as possible onto very young babies'
skin (and that includes nappy creams and baby lotions). It lessens
the risk of dermatitis or allergic reactions.

T, who had a very dark complexion at that time (he's fairer now),
caught the sun when my mum took him into early afternoon sun for
less than 10 minutes in the middle of a heatwave. He was less than
three weeks old and I was asleep at the time - and absolutely livid
when I found out. Luckily that's the only time she and I have
clashed on parenting issues, and with luck no permanent damage has
been done. But it could have been done, which worried me. It took a
week for the slightly sunburned look to fade. (He came out in baby
acne the next day too, which I'm fairly sure was as a result of the
sun exposure - his skin had not been oily or at all marked until he
burned, and oil over-production can be caused by burning.)

Jac
Old May 25th 04, 09:39 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 25 May 2004 09:31:27 -0400, libbymom04 wrote:

My daughter will be 3 months old on the 3rd. Of course now it is summer and
we will be wanting to go to the beach and out by the pool. This is my
first baby and have heard different advice from all kinds of people.
Should I take her in the water this summer?

Honestly, why should you not? DS has always loved to be in the water,
indoor or outdoor, and with sufficient sunscreen there should be no reason
to keep her out. She spend about 9m under water before, right?

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old May 26th 04, 01:02 PM
Andrea

"libbymom04" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
My daughter will be 3 months old on the 3rd. Of course now it is summer

and
we will be wanting to go to the beach and out by the pool. This is my
first baby and have heard different advice from all kinds of people.
Should I take her in the water this summer? I know she shouldn't stay long
and I should use plenty of sunscreen, but how long is to long? Also, would
she be okay to rest in the shade?

I wouldn't take her if her vaccinations are not complete, otherwise it
should be ok.

Andrea.