Kids and Nutrition

Old October 14th 05, 11:03 AM
Cindy Kandolf

Default Kids and Nutrition

dragonlady writes:
In article ,
Cindy Kandolf wrote:
Louise writes:
I just found out that popcorn might count as a whole grain. This
seems too good to be true!

Funny you should mention that. The last jar of popcorn I bought has a
large graphic on the front of the label: "100% WHOLE GRAIN!"

It was a teachable moment for the 11-year-old. "Sometimes what you
see on a label is absolutely true and at the same time absolutely
meaningless. This is one of those times."

Why is that meaningless? As a whole grain, popcorn is a decent source
of fiber. Nutritionally, it isn't bad. And if you don't add fats, it's
a pretty low calorie snack.

I suppose we're interpretting it differently. As I read what you
wrote, it sounds like you believe they're trying to increase sales of
popcorn in general (and their brand in particular) by pointing out
that popcorn can be a healthy snack. I saw it differently, as an
attempt to increase sales of their brand by saying that *their*
popcorn is 100% whole grain and leaving you to wonder about the other
brands. And of course unpopped popcorn is 100% whole grain by
definition...

Sort of like if one particular brand of bottled water started
advertising "No Sugar Added!" It's true, but it's a feature of all
unflavored bottled water, not of any single brand. And that's how I
explained it to young Kenneth: manufacturers can't flat-out lie on
their labels, there are laws about that. But they can mislead you in
many ways, and one is by implying that they are better than their
competitors because of a certain feature - they just don't tell you
that this product *always* has that feature.

- Cindy Kandolf, mamma to Kenneth (11) and Robert (4)
****** Bærum, Norway
Bilingual Families Web Page:
http://www.nethelp.no/cindy/biling-fam.html

Old October 15th 05, 02:08 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Cindy Kandolf wrote:

*I suppose we're interpretting it differently. As I read what you
*wrote, it sounds like you believe they're trying to increase sales of
*popcorn in general (and their brand in particular) by pointing out
*that popcorn can be a healthy snack. I saw it differently, as an
*attempt to increase sales of their brand by saying that *their*
*popcorn is 100% whole grain and leaving you to wonder about the other
*brands. And of course unpopped popcorn is 100% whole grain by
*definition...

Heh. I'm generally very cynical, but I had not even thought of your
interpretation! I just figured they were trying to promote popcorn in
general when I saw that.

*Sort of like if one particular brand of bottled water started
*advertising "No Sugar Added!" It's true, but it's a feature of all
*unflavored bottled water, not of any single brand. And that's how I

My biggest peeve is the "no cholesterol" label on, for example, an
avocado...

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old October 15th 05, 04:16 PM
Rosalie B.

Cindy Kandolf wrote:
snip
[...]

I once got into trouble in the super market by asking why the gallons
of skim milk (this was back in the 70s) were in the back of the store,
whereas the 2% and the regular milk were closer to the front.

And then I said that 2% was misleading because whole milk had only 4%
fat, so that 2% had only half (50%) of the fat taken out instead of
98% like was implied. And the grocer (who was checking me out) said
"We don't need people like you shopping here."

grandma Rosalie

Old October 15th 05, 10:36 PM
dragonlady

In article ,

[...]