Babies and Bills

Old May 16th 04, 02:09 AM
melbgal1

Default Babies and Bills

I got a new bill on Friday, from my Dr.
An extra $1000+ on top of his regular bill for a "long & difficult
labour".

Considering it went longer than it should have because he was at another
hospital delivering another baby ( while I was shouting "WHERE IS THE
DOCTOR ?!?!" ), and I really didn't see him until the end, i'm wondering
what the hell this bill is for ? And at what point does a labour become
a "long & difficult" one ? He wasn't even there for it !

I doubt it's to pay the lovely midwife who spent her whole 12hr shift
with me. hmm.

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004
Old May 16th 04, 02:14 AM
Jamie Clark

How long and difficult was it? I mean, was it way way way longer than the
average labor length? I'd call and pitch a fit about that, especially
because he wasn't even there for most of it! From his perspective -- the
last few minutes catching the baby, it was like any other labor!
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest, Password:
Guest
Password

Handmade Baby Blankets -- www.geocities.com/digit_the_cat/Blankets.html

t...

Old May 16th 04, 02:37 AM
Puester

melbgal1 wrote:

I got a new bill on Friday, from my Dr.
An extra $1000+ on top of his regular bill for a "long & difficult
labour".

Considering it went longer than it should have because he was at another
hospital delivering another baby ( while I was shouting "WHERE IS THE
DOCTOR ?!?!" ), and I really didn't see him until the end, i'm wondering
what the hell this bill is for ? And at what point does a labour become
a "long & difficult" one ? He wasn't even there for it !

I doubt it's to pay the lovely midwife who spent her whole 12hr shift
with me. hmm.

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004

Call his office and tell them exactly that.
Often the doctor's billing service bills for
things that didn't happen....

gloria p
Old May 16th 04, 10:49 AM
Amy

What a crock! How can he expect to get paid for something he wasn't even
there for? I wouldn't pay that without a fight. Send him a bill of your own
for compensation for the emotional trauma you suffered while waiting for him
to arrive. It might just get the message across.

t...

Old May 17th 04, 02:56 AM
A&G&K

"melbgal1" wrote in message
t...
I got a new bill on Friday, from my Dr.
An extra $1000+ on top of his regular bill for a "long & difficult
labour".

Considering it went longer than it should have because he was at another
hospital delivering another baby ( while I was shouting "WHERE IS THE
DOCTOR ?!?!" ), and I really didn't see him until the end, i'm wondering
what the hell this bill is for ? And at what point does a labour become
a "long & difficult" one ? He wasn't even there for it !

I doubt it's to pay the lovely midwife who spent her whole 12hr shift
with me. hmm.

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004

I don't think this sounds right at all ..... especially since he didn't
arrive until the end.
Call his office. Ask for an itemised listing for the bill (and no "long and
difficult" won't do). If your Dr thought it was so "long and difficult" and
he wasn't there for most of it, why was it so long and difficult?
Maybe I'm confused, but you are in Oz right? Phone Medicare and/or you
health insurer. It just seems a really bogus bill to me.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old May 17th 04, 03:30 AM
Cheryl

On Sun, 16 May 2004 11:09:02 +1000, melbgal1
wrote:

I got a new bill on Friday, from my Dr.
An extra $1000+ on top of his regular bill for a "long & difficult
labour".

Considering it went longer than it should have because he was at another
hospital delivering another baby ( while I was shouting "WHERE IS THE
DOCTOR ?!?!" ), and I really didn't see him until the end, i'm wondering
what the hell this bill is for ? And at what point does a labour become
a "long & difficult" one ? He wasn't even there for it !

I doubt it's to pay the lovely midwife who spent her whole 12hr shift
with me. hmm.

That's just weird. From what I was told when I had an OB first time
around (and now you probably know why I decided against an OB next
time around!) the cost of the birth was going to be exactly the same
regardless of how the baby ended up being birthed. That is, if I
ended up with a c/s I would have to pay the anaesthetist etc but the
OB cost wouldn't be any different. As it was I ended up with a
ventouse and that didn't increase the price at all. Definitely
dispute this one. And see if you can find the original bill you
received when you went to see him the first time, mine was fairly
itemised and that was where I was told that the birth costs were
fixed.

--
Cheryl
Mum to Shrimp (11 Mar 99), Thud (4 Oct 00)
Old May 17th 04, 03:40 AM
melbgal1

In article . net, Jamie
Clark says...
How long and difficult was it?

It was my first, I have no idea was the "norm" is.
Mine was 30hrs, ending with a forceps delivery.

I mean, was it way way way longer than the
average labor length? I'd call and pitch a fit about that, especially
because he wasn't even there for most of it! From his perspective -- the
last few minutes catching the baby, it was like any other labor!

that's what I thought !

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004
Old May 17th 04, 03:42 AM
melbgal1

In article , Amy says...
What a crock! How can he expect to get paid for something he wasn't even
there for? I wouldn't pay that without a fight. Send him a bill of your own
for compensation for the emotional trauma you suffered while waiting for him
to arrive. It might just get the message across.

heh.
don't worry, I will be taking it up

--
Proudly presenting Bébé B
Born 20.Apr.2004
Old May 17th 04, 05:45 PM
Robin T.

melbgal1 wrote:
I got a new bill on Friday, from my Dr.
An extra $1000+ on top of his regular bill for a "long & difficult
labour".

Considering it went longer than it should have because he was at
another hospital delivering another baby ( while I was shouting
"WHERE IS THE DOCTOR ?!?!" ), and I really didn't see him until the
end, i'm wondering what the hell this bill is for ? And at what
point does a labour become a "long & difficult" one ? He wasn't even
there for it !

I doubt it's to pay the lovely midwife who spent her whole 12hr shift
with me. hmm.

Have you seen a bill to cover the midwife's time? My midwife billed under
an obstetrician that I had never seen. I called the office to make sure,
but they said that's the way they get insurance to cover it.

Robin T.
DD#1, 12/25/00
DD#2, 09/29/04 edd

Old May 17th 04, 06:17 PM
Jamie Clark

I don't know the stats off the top of my head, but isn't 24 hours sort of an
average time for labor? I mean, 30 isn't that much longer. Many women have
forceps or vacuum extraction -- I don't think either of those two options
are consider above and beyond the call of duty.

I think it's a crock of ****. Call and complain. Write a letter to the
medical group, and cc the OB. Then, switch to a new OB/Gyn or midwife if
you decide to get pregnant again.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03