Twins - in separate classes

Old April 3rd 06, 08:58 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Default Twins - in separate classes

I'm thinking about moving my 5 year old twin daughters from their
private school to public school for kindergarten. I live in
Indianapolis. How hard would it be to get both girls in one class?
The transition would be much easier if they were together. They rarely
actually play together, but there seems to be some comfort from having
their sister there. They are fraternal and not remotely similary,
physically or in personality.

Thanks for any advice!

Old April 3rd 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Jen, it depends on the policy of the individual school or school board.
Some leave the choice up to the parents, some schools have policies about
separating twins. I was told when registering my girls that it was strictly
up to me whether I wanted them together, given that there are three
kindergarten classes. I would check with the public schools in your
neighborhood.

My girls are also fraternal and like night & day in personalities, but I
couldn't imagine them in a new setting without the security of one another.
They can always be separated in a later grade once they have their own sets
of friends and feel more confident in their environment.

Cookie

oups.com...

Old April 3rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Thanks so much for your advice. I have no idea what the policy is in
our school district. I'm guessing they may leave it up to the parents.
I love having fraternal girls who are best friends at home, but tend
to do totally different things in a class and make different friends.
It's scary to be in a new place. Just knowing your twin is across the
room seems to allow them to relax and enjoy new places and friends.

What grade are your daughters in?
Cookie wrote:
Jen, it depends on the policy of the individual school or school board.
Some leave the choice up to the parents, some schools have policies about
separating twins. I was told when registering my girls that it was strictly
up to me whether I wanted them together, given that there are three
kindergarten classes. I would check with the public schools in your
neighborhood.

My girls are also fraternal and like night & day in personalities, but I
couldn't imagine them in a new setting without the security of one another.
They can always be separated in a later grade once they have their own sets
of friends and feel more confident in their environment.

Cookie

oups.com...

Old April 4th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

My daughters will be starting kindergarten in September. I just registered
them this month. I assumed the school would want to separate them and was
ready to fight the school board. I was pleasantly suprised when they said
it was my choice.

My girls fight like cats and dogs at home, right down to hair pulling, toy
snatching, pushing and shoving. However, the babysitter and everyone else
who comes into contact with them outside the house say they are so sweet
together, always hugging and holding hands, never wanting to part.

Who are these girls??? Can't say I've met them!!! The only time they band
together at home is when one is being reprimanded and the other springs to
her defence. Whoever said "majority rules" never had to parent twins!

I'm sure your daughters will adjust well no matter what you decide.

Cookie

oups.com...

Cookie wrote:
Jen, it depends on the policy of the individual school or school board.
Some leave the choice up to the parents, some schools have policies about
separating twins. I was told when registering my girls that it was
strictly
up to me whether I wanted them together, given that there are three
kindergarten classes. I would check with the public schools in your
neighborhood.

My girls are also fraternal and like night & day in personalities, but I
couldn't imagine them in a new setting without the security of one
another.
They can always be separated in a later grade once they have their own
sets
of friends and feel more confident in their environment.

Cookie

oups.com...

Old April 4th 06, 03:53 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Jen wrote:
I'm thinking about moving my 5 year old twin daughters from their
private school to public school for kindergarten. I live in
Indianapolis. How hard would it be to get both girls in one class?
The transition would be much easier if they were together. They rarely
actually play together, but there seems to be some comfort from having
their sister there. They are fraternal and not remotely similary,
physically or in personality.

Thanks for any advice!

Hey, we're in Indy, too.

As others have said, you'll have to find out the district policy. Ours
were mostly with different teachers, but in our case, I think they
benefited from it. At home, they play together a lot.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis

contact form:
http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
Old April 4th 06, 01:57 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Jen,

In our district it varies from school to school, basically it's the
principal's call. We have three elementary schools, two of them leave
it up to the parents and the other has a principal who will not put
twins together. We are in Catholic school, and it is totally up to the
parents. In fact in kindergarten (our boys will go in the fall), they
always keep twins together then take it year by year after that. So be
sure to ask exactly how it is done, and if you really want them
together then fight for it. You know what is best!

Take care,
Ellen
---------------
Erin 6/95
Bradley & Alex 10/00

Old April 9th 06, 05:32 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

My twins were together for kindergarten and first and separated after
that -- on top of everything else, it was simpler for *me* to deal with
just one teacher, one set of forms (of course I had to fill out two,
but they didn't come home on different days and such), all that.

--Helen

Old April 20th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Go with your gut, and fight it if you have to. If they say that it's their
policy to separate twins, ask them to SHOW you their policy. Usually they
don't actually have anything concrete to hide behind. There

My b/g twins are in third, and still choose to be in the same class. The
school leaves it up to us, though I do always ask the current year's teacher
whether she has any pressing concerns about the kids remaining together.
They have chosent to stay together for fourth grade as well.

There was a NY Times article on twins and school a couple of months ago.
The article cites data that indicate that twins who are placed together in
the early years generally fare better both academically and emotionally.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/24/na...erland&emc=rss

oups.com...

Old April 21st 06, 01:09 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

That is so funny - our girls are best friends/worst enemies. Alex has
come running in, crying, saying that "Samantha says she's going to take
my brain!". Then if we reprimand Samantha, Alex jumps to her defense
and says "don't upset my sister." Teachers have told us that the girls
are very close, but also the only time either one of them squabbles
with another kid, it's their sister. I think they feel comfortable
arguing with their sister, but are less inclined to take on unrelated
kids.

Fortunately, we found out the school system in our area leaves the
decision up to us as to whether to separate the girls since we know
them best. I think we will keep them in the same class. The security
is a nice thing initially and they always end up doing different things
with different friends so they have their own space anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

Old April 21st 06, 01:14 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Nick, where do you live in Indy? We live in Lawrence Township. The
public schools seem to be okay. We currently have the girls in pre-k 4
downtown at St. Richard's but it's REALLY expensive so we're really
looking at the Lawrence kindergarten program. They said we could make
the call on separating the girls. In their current school, they are
separate, but it's a small school so they see each other at recess. It
is difficult coordinating birthday parties! We get invited to birthday
parties from both classes. Fortunately, everyone know now that they
are twins and their sister has always been invited. Having them in one
class would make THAT easier. Also, I'd only be checking notes from
one teacher instead of two!

WSJ: Down syndrome: mainstream or separate ed [email protected] General 3 March 30th 06 01:51 AM
prenatal classes MJMR Pregnancy 28 December 13th 05 05:32 AM
Review: Separate Lies (*** 1/2) Steve Rhodes General 0 October 11th 05 12:44 AM
when should we take pre-nate classes Kaybee Pregnancy 4 August 25th 04 02:24 AM
B/G twins here Janine Twins & Triplets 1 May 19th 04 03:43 PM