Public Aid messing up again!

Old March 7th 05, 05:01 AM
RogerN

Default Public Aid messing up again!

Since I started paying child support(over 12 years ago), Illinois Department
of Public Aid has had a lot of difficulty in figuring what I owe. A few
years ago, Illinois Department of Public Aid once again figured I was behind
and sent orders to garnish my wages in addition to the child support that
was already being taken out. I sent them proof that I was not $3,XXX
behind, but I was actually $7 ahead. By the time they stopped the wage
garnishment, I was over $1,3XX ahead, according to their figures. They sent
me a letter to tell me that they decided it was not their fault, even though
they incorrectly figured I was behind and they ordered my wages garnished.

Anyway, as it stood, I was $13XX ahead in my child support. I was
hospitalized for a while and on disability through the company I work for.
For some unknown reason, the company I work for only took out a little over
half my disability check for child support. This left my CS short close to
$50 per week. By the time I was released to go back to work, the IDPA
figured I was behind $7XX in CS, they didn't count the $1,3XX I was already
ahead. As it stands now, I am ~$600 ahead in my child support but IDPA
claims I am $7XX behind and they are going to take the money out of my
income tax return to once again pay for their inability to calculate child
support.

I have put up with IDPA not being able to correctly calculate my Child
Support for 12 years now. They have taken me to court, garnished my wages,
and are now taking money out of my tax return, all while I have been current
or ahead on my Child Support. It doesn't seem right that such an
incompetent department should have the authority to garnish wages and
intercept tax refunds without even a warning and giving me a chance to
dispute their claims against me.

I'll call IDPA tomorrow and once again have to prove that I am ahead and not
behind on my CS payments. It just doesn't seem right that I should have to
keep defending myself against their mistakes. They should be able to see
that according to them, I was $13XX ahead and since then I have been current
having CS deducted from my paychecks except for ~$7XX while I was out of
work for surgery and surgical complications.

Anybody know any action I can take to prevent IDPA from taking money from my
tax refund when I'm actually $6XX ahead instead of $7XX behind?

Thanks!

Old March 7th 05, 05:28 AM
flinrius

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...
Since I started paying child support(over 12 years ago), Illinois
Department
of Public Aid has had a lot of difficulty in figuring what I owe. A few
years ago, Illinois Department of Public Aid once again figured I was
behind
and sent orders to garnish my wages in addition to the child support that
was already being taken out. I sent them proof that I was not $3,XXX
behind, but I was actually $7 ahead. By the time they stopped the wage
garnishment, I was over $1,3XX ahead, according to their figures. They
sent
me a letter to tell me that they decided it was not their fault, even
though
they incorrectly figured I was behind and they ordered my wages garnished.

It's never a child support agency's fault...they just "do their job" =)

Anyway, as it stood, I was $13XX ahead in my child support. I was
hospitalized for a while and on disability through the company I work for.
For some unknown reason, the company I work for only took out a little
over
half my disability check for child support. This left my CS short close

Once you got on disability, you need to immediately to file for a
modification to get your support reduced to its proper level. I know you
were in the hospital but do this as soon as possible. Once thing I have
realized is you have to "manage" your case and keep your stuff in order.
They are not allowed to take out more than 1/2 of your net pay. Not sure
about disability, but if you have to pay insurance, 401k, etc. this does NOT
count in the equasion...so if you are paying 10% to that, you get 40% and
the ex can get 50% in this example = system perpetuated Deadbeat Dad because
he can't survive or feed himself much less his kids when they are with him.

$50 per week. By the time I was released to go back to work, the IDPA
figured I was behind $7XX in CS, they didn't count the $1,3XX I was
already
ahead. As it stands now, I am ~$600 ahead in my child support but IDPA
claims I am $7XX behind and they are going to take the money out of my
income tax return to once again pay for their inability to calculate child
support.

I don't understand...did they refund to you the $1,3XX money? If not, they
should credit against any amounts owed.

I have put up with IDPA not being able to correctly calculate my Child
Support for 12 years now. They have taken me to court, garnished my
wages,
and are now taking money out of my tax return, all while I have been
current
or ahead on my Child Support. It doesn't seem right that such an
incompetent department should have the authority to garnish wages and
intercept tax refunds without even a warning and giving me a chance to
dispute their claims against me.

Sounds like you need to pull your act together and get a current copy of
your order from the family law court. Once you have your order, read it and
make sure the DCSS has a copy of it. That's it unless somebody files for a
modification. In California you file an Order to Show Cause (OSC). You'll
probably want to have doctors note and other stuff in order before going to
your hearing.

I'll call IDPA tomorrow and once again have to prove that I am ahead and
not
behind on my CS payments. It just doesn't seem right that I should have
keep defending myself against their mistakes. They should be able to see
that according to them, I was $13XX ahead and since then I have been
current
having CS deducted from my paychecks except for ~$7XX while I was out of
work for surgery and surgical complications.

Sounds like a good plan, if this doesn't work because you have incompetent
government workers or other reasons, go and file for a modification while
you are on disability.

Anybody know any action I can take to prevent IDPA from taking money from
my
tax refund when I'm actually $6XX ahead instead of $7XX behind?

Thanks!

Nope nothing you can do until you are current then you get your money back.
If you owe more than $5,000 you also get your passport yanked. Here in
California if you owe a certain amount (don't have figure with me now) they
yank your drivers license. This is supposed to help us Dads work harder to
we can support our families driving on suspended licenses. =)

Old March 7th 05, 03:33 PM
Bob Whiteside

"RogerN" wrote in message
ink.net...

Anybody know any action I can take to prevent IDPA from taking money from

my
tax refund when I'm actually $6XX ahead instead of $7XX behind?

Taking tax refunds is a computerized process. There is no way to stop it.
I'd suggest you do the following:

1. Demand a refund every time you believe your CS account has a credit
balance.
2. Document all contacts with CSE in writing (letter or email) including
written follow-ups to any telephone conversations.
3. Ask for a manager to review your file and contact you with their
findings.
4. If #3 doesn't work, ask for help from the next level up in state
government to get a response to your issues.
5. Get the email address for the CSE manager so you can contact them in the
future.
6. If none of that works, contact your state representatives and ask for
their help.

Old March 8th 05, 01:36 AM
flinrius

Some good points Bob, I might add here in California we have an Ombudsman's
office that has a real person answer the phone right away (correct you don't
have to wait on hold for 1 hour). You tell them the issue, they mail out a
complaint form, you submit it, and if it's not resolved in a timely manner
you can go to a state hearing and a judge will drive the issue home.

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message
ink.net...

ink.net...