Latching AFTER Pacifier Use

Old April 4th 04, 09:03 PM
Carol Ann

Default Latching AFTER Pacifier Use

So, it seems Morgan isn't sucking as hard as she was prior to the pacifier
being introduced. What can I do specifically to get her to suck harder?

~Carol Ann
Morgan 3.24.04

Old April 4th 04, 09:10 PM
Jan Andrea

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
So, it seems Morgan isn't sucking as hard as she was prior to the pacifier
being introduced. What can I do specifically to get her to suck harder?

I'm not an LC or anything, but babies don't necessarily need to suck *hard*
to get milk. Ideally, they use their tongues, in the same way one gets milk
from a cow's teat, in sort of a stripping motion. So it's not the suction
so much as the technique. I know I'm not making this very clear There's
a video of it on www.breastfeeding.com, I think.

Jan
--
Mum to Stephen, 22 May 2000
and Sophia, 2 October 2003

Old April 4th 04, 10:52 PM
Luna

I noticed a change in my boy's latch/suction after I used a pacifier at
about 2 weeks. After a few nursing sessions, his normal latch was back. I
would give it time, and hold off on the paci for another several weeks.
Great job breastfeeding, Carol Ann!
Hannah

Old April 5th 04, 03:24 AM
JennP

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
So, it seems Morgan isn't sucking as hard as she was prior to the pacifier
being introduced. What can I do specifically to get her to suck harder?

Carol Ann, if you think the paci is effecting her latch *at all* ditch it
for a little bit more. I know you said she seems to need to comfort suck, if
your nipples aren't too sore, let her stay latched on and just comfort suck.
It can only help to boost and establish your supply. Also, offer her a clean
pinkie finger to suck on. I'd try the pacifier again in a couple of weeks.
HTH
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00