Exam prep disaster

Old October 16th 04, 11:14 PM
Penny Gaines

[snip]
However, by saying exam prep disaster because a baby tooth came out and
then perhaps the child didn't sleep as well as one would have hoped - to
me you're telling the kid "OMG!! You didn't sleep well!! You'll do
terribly. Oh
well, the other school isn't *that* bad." That's not the message I want
to send to my kids.

Nothing in what the OP wrote indicated that she told her kid that. For all
you know, she was easy-going with her kid about it but came here to vent a
little.

Yeah, that was it. I was calm about it to R, but also frustrated: the tooth
came out about half an hour after lights out.

Actually posting here gave me a lot of prospective: I've realised that
not everyone else's child would have gone to sleep perfectly, and woken
up well rested.

Really, the other school isn't that bad. In fact the other school is
extremely good. The only problem with the other school is that it isn't the
grammer school. The other school's results are in the national top five for
that type of school. A government report has rated the school as
"excellent".

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old October 20th 04, 01:15 AM
Iowacookiemom

I took the SATs twice, and did better on them the second time than the first,
despite being well-rested and in excellent spirits the first time around, and
having a nasty backache and menstrual cramps the second time.

I took the GMAT one week before my wedding, the morning after my bachelorette
party. I was making lists on my scratch paper *during* the exam and rushed out
to do last-minute errand running afterward. I scored in the 99th percentile,
the best I'd ever done on a standardized test.

There are those of us who, when well-rested and "primed," actually do worse
because we over-think things. I do best when I'm relaxed and giving
top-of-mind responses.

There's one good thing to this -- at least his test is over!

-Dawn
Mom to Henry, 12