People to People Student Ambassadors

Old August 11th 04, 12:27 PM
Scott

Default People to People Student Ambassadors

So DD gets an unsolicited invitation from People to
People Student Ambassadors yesterday to visit
Australia next Summer. My cursory websearch of it
shows that it's seemingly on the up-and-up, but I
thought I'd ask if anyone on mkm had experience
with it.

I'm unable to find anything on the website
about cost. Hmmm. So I gotta ask: is
it just a glorified travel company that
sets up programs for pre-teens through 20-
somethings? Is it something I should embrace?
Should I burn the envelope while I wash my
hands, screaming that I ever touched it?
Something in the middle?

Thanks for any pointers.

Scott DD 11 and DS 8

Old August 11th 04, 02:52 PM
workerbee

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:27:33 EDT, Scott
wrotE:

So DD gets an unsolicited invitation from People to
People Student Ambassadors yesterday to visit
Australia next Summer. My cursory websearch of it
shows that it's seemingly on the up-and-up, but I
thought I'd ask if anyone on mkm had experience
with it.

I'm unable to find anything on the website
about cost. Hmmm. So I gotta ask: is
it just a glorified travel company that
sets up programs for pre-teens through 20-
somethings? Is it something I should embrace?
Should I burn the envelope while I wash my
hands, screaming that I ever touched it?
Something in the middle?

Thanks for any pointers.

Scott DD 11 and DS 8

This is a program that was started by President Eisenhower.
It is VERY reputable.

My daughter was invited twice but was unable to participate
due to the expense. You don't get a lot of time to raise the
money.

However, I do know two different girls who have participated
in different trips in different years. Both had worthwhile
cultural experiences. They will spend some time living
in the home of someone in the host country. They also spend
at least 6 months learning about the culture of the country
before they go.

I am curious as to whether your daughter is old enough.
I believe the kids have to be entering 7th grade but I'm
not positive. I know the first time my daughter was invited
it turned out she was too young by one year. The kids
are nominated by someone before they are invited, usually
a teacher.

Old August 26th 04, 03:44 AM
Denise

wrotE:

[...]

My DD also received an invitation letter last week. She will have
completed 5th grade by the time the trip rolls around. The letter
indicates this group would be comprised of 5th and 6th graders - going
to Hawaii!!! I, too, am curious about the cost and the only
information I was able to gather was through old message boards. The
general sense is that it is expensive. I would like to know who made
the recommendation.

I have talked to a few people locally who either had kids who
participated or knew someone who did. Some have indicated that it
would be a good idea to engage in conversation with the school
administration. Apparently some schools do not like to acknowledge
and give the educational credits these kids earn for participating.
That would be my luck!

I'm also hoping that attending the information meeting does not equate
to commiting.

Any personal experiences shared would be appreciated.

Denise
DD 10; DS 10 (yes, twins)

Old September 10th 04, 08:47 PM
Don Schaffer

Scott wrote in message . ..
So DD gets an unsolicited invitation from People to
People Student Ambassadors yesterday to visit
Australia next Summer. My cursory websearch of it
shows that it's seemingly on the up-and-up, but I
thought I'd ask if anyone on mkm had experience
with it.

I'm unable to find anything on the website
about cost. Hmmm. So I gotta ask: is
it just a glorified travel company that
sets up programs for pre-teens through 20-
somethings? Is it something I should embrace?
Should I burn the envelope while I wash my
hands, screaming that I ever touched it?
Something in the middle?

Thanks for any pointers.

I am a Delegation Leader for People to People Student Ambassadors. I
was in the same position in 1993 when my daughter receiveed an
invitation as you are now.

My wife became a leader in 1994 and is currently the Area Director for
the state of Colorado. I am preparing to lead my 4th Delegation nexct
summer.

Pleople to People id not a travel company it began in 1956 when
President Eisenhower held a White House summit to try and achieve
"Peace through understanding" Several prominant people attended this
summit includung Mr Hall of Hallmark Cards, and Walt Disney. Disney
was so impressed by this vision he created a new attration when he
returned to California called IT'S A SMALL WORLD. People to People is
just one organization spawned by this summit. Others include; Sister
City's International, Project Hope, and the PenPal Program.

Thousands of Student Ambassadors travel troughout ther world each
summer, In Colorado alone we had over 400 Delegates travel this
summer. Delegations consist of about 40 students and 4 Leaders. The
leaders are educators in the local area.

Please feel free to E-Mail me at if I can answer an
further questions.

DON

Scott DD 11 and DS 8

Old September 12th 04, 01:33 AM
Don Schaffer

wrotE:

[...]

As to the questions regarding ages. There are three programs offered
one for 5th & 6th graders, one for middle school, and one for high
school. The program for 5th and 6th grade is not offered everywhere
because there are fewer destinations avalable for this age group.
Students are grouped by age and the Leaders are educators with
experience at the same grade levels at the students.

As for the High School credit. Some schools accept it some don't.
It's one credit, it won't let you skip a class or graduate early. The
real value is having foriegn education when you start applying for
college and scholarships. Upon secessful completion of the program
you will receive a transcript from the Washington School of World
Studies, which fully accredited. I recommend to my students they
don't try and incorporate this into their high school transcript where
can be easily overlooked. I urge them to keep it as a stand alone
document to place in their portfolio. It might be what sets you apart
from the crowd.

Old September 19th 04, 11:12 PM
Naomi Pardue

So DD gets an unsolicited invitation from People to
People Student Ambassadors yesterday to visit
Australia next Summer. My cursory websearch of it
shows that it's seemingly on the up-and-up, but I

thought I'd ask if anyone on mkm had experience
with it.

I'm unable to find anything on the website
about cost. Hmmm. So I gotta ask: is
it just a glorified travel company that

My daughter got an invite last summer (to go to California) and one for next
summer to go to the U.K.

We went to the presentation for the California one last year, but opted not to
send her. And we'll skip the U.K. one. The trips seem well run, but are VERY
expensive (I worked out that the three of us could have taken a 2 week vacation
in California for about the same they were charging for just Shaina to go.)
And yeah, at the presentation they took a long time getting around to talking
about the cost. They really want to get you hooked before saying "And, oh, by
the way, it's such and so many thousands of dollars...."

I also had some trouble with the mixed messages we were getting at the
presentation -- that, on the one hand, this was supposed to be a program for
only a tiny number of top level students, personally selected to go on these
trips. Yet, on the other hand, we were shown VERY long lists of local students
who had taken the trips in recent years.

While I'd certainly love to give Shaina a chance to go to England, I think I'd
rather plan a trip for US, that we could all enjoy together, seeing things that
particularly interest us.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)