19 yr. old

Old September 12th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.child-support
CL

Default 19 yr. old

My son is now 19 years old. I paid child support through Los Angeles County
for 18 years. His mother and I had an agreement that he stayed with me
every other weekend and we worked out the holidays, no court order, just our
agreement and it pretty much worked. We also pretty much split incendental
costs. I have also been paying his health insurance out of my own pocket
because I work for myself and my wife's policy will not cover him since he
does not live with us, he lives with his mom and step-father.

Without going into too much detail, some things have changed for the worse
and he has been pretty much a stranger to me and my side of the family for
the past eight months or so. I have talked to her many times about his
health insurance because she has a policy at her work that she can just add
him to for no additional cost yet she refuses to for some reason. He is not
in school and is working full time. He even has access to a health plan
through his work. I have not threatened to stop his policy yet, but I am
about to make that move. I have even suggested splitting any additional
costs on a different policy. Individual policies are not cheap, it is
$190/month right now.

I am not trying to walk away from this financial responsibility, I would
never force him to go without health insurance no matter the cost. But this
burden just seems silly to me when there are other solutions.

I am wondering if there is any way his mother can take me to court for any
kind of additional financial support or force me to keep paying his health
insurance.

Old September 12th 07, 05:01 PM posted to alt.child-support
Gini

"CL" wrote
My son is now 19 years old. I paid child support through Los Angeles
County
for 18 years.

I am wondering if there is any way his mother can take me to court for any
kind of additional financial support or force me to keep paying his health
insurance.

==
CA requires CS over the age of 18? If not, you don't have to carry him on
your policy (or provide any insurance for him).

Old September 12th 07, 05:41 PM posted to alt.child-support
DB

"CL" wrote in
My son is now 19 years old.

He's a grown man now, time to say Bye Bye!

Old September 12th 07, 10:44 PM posted to alt.child-support

In California, Child Support ceases once the child reaches age 18 or if
still attending school, at age 19. After which, there is no child
support obligation unless you legally stipulated otherwise.

Not an attorney as they say but familiar with the law here.

b.