school fundraisers

Old November 27th 07, 10:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

Default school fundraisers

On Nov 27, 2:43�pm, Caledonia wrote:
On Nov 27, 1:49 pm, Beliavsky wrote:

On Nov 26, 2:03 pm, toto wrote:

snip

http://www.nea.org/pay/maps/teachermap.html

Accountants, Management Trainees, Registered Nurses, Software
Designers, Field Engineers and Computer Programmers all earn more than
teachers on average.

I'd bet that people in several of those professions, for example
engineers, are smarter than teachers on average, so they ought to earn
more. Here are some stats on average SAT scores by intended major of
high school seniors, which will understate the difference between
teachers and engineers, since the attrition of unintelligent people
will be much higher in the latter major.

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_dow...nfo/cbsenior/y...
Table 26: Intended College Major, Degree-Level Goal

� � � � � � � � � � � � � � �# � � � � reading math writing
Education � � � � � � �79,090 480 483 476
Engineering � � � � � �82,389 524 579 510

I'd always wondered why the rate of CEO pay is increasing faster these
days than the rate of mid-to-senior level executives (to say nothing
of the dismal rate increases in shareholder value for several of the
500 Most Highly Compensated CEOs' companies -- now I realize it's
because the CEOs are smarter.

Caledonia- Hide quoted text -

LOL. I can't even back that one up based on personal experience. I
would no sooner drive home from work when I would unlock my door and
hear a message playing on my machine from a CEO......."Can you call me
back when you get home? I'm confused....." lol.
Old November 27th 07, 10:34 PM posted to misc.kids
cjra

On Nov 26, 4:18 pm, Chris wrote:
Also, here is some information on various professional ranges from my
state alone:

Here is more than one position since you asked, starting with a
teaching position, all from my State's current job posting list:

Special Ed Teacher - salary comm. with experience
School Teacher P11 = $18.29/hour

Special Alternative Incarceration Officer = $15.44/hour
State Worker 4 = $7.50 hour
Corrections Program Coordinator = $16.78/hour
Corrections Resident Representative = $13.55/hour
Information Technology Programmer/Analyst = $15.75/hour
Transportation Maintenance Worker = $13.85/hour
Environmental Quality Analyst = $16.22/hour
Toxicologist = $17.52/hour
Corrections Officer = $14.35/hour

What are the degree requirements for the above positions? In my state,
all except the teacher would not usually require a 4 year college
degree. It's generally preferred, but not required.

For us, the state salaries are so incredibly low, it's not a relevant
comparison in terms of how a teacher salary relates to the population
at large unless you include non-public payroll employees. All that
does is argue that the state pays lousy.
Old November 27th 07, 10:49 PM posted to misc.kids
Barbara

On Nov 27, 5:13Â*pm, Chris wrote:
On Nov 27, 4:34�pm, (Beth Kevles) wrote:

Hi --

Depending upon where you are, starting salaries for teachers can range
from the mid-teens to the high-30s. �State requirements for becoming a
teacher vary, but just to start typically requires a bachelor's degree,
roughly 30 semester hours in the content area that will be taught, and
roughly 30 semester hours of courses in education. �In addition, most
states require a year of (usually unpaid) student teaching and some kind
of exam, often the PRAXIS, and sometimes several exams, in the content
area to be taught AND on how to teach in that content area.

Once a teacher starts, figure 6 hours a day in the classroom, 2 hours a
day in school at meetings and such, and another 2-4 hours a day doing
lesson preparation and grading student work. �There are also continuing
educaion requirements which vary by state, but are not normally
reimbursed by the school district.

That seemed awfully high to me, so I looked it up. According to the US
Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average public school teacher works
36.5 hours per week, on weeks in which s/he works (in other words,
that's not based on a 52 week year, averaged in). That's about 7
hours per day, not 12. (Private school teachers have a slightly
longer day.) That makes sense to me. Of course, if you have any
studies demonstrating longer days, I'd be interested.

The summary I found also notes:

• According to the BLS, the average public school teacher in the
United States earned $34.06 per hour in 2005.
• The average public school teacher was paid 36% more per hour than
the average non-sales white-collar worker and 11% more than the
average professional specialty and technical worker.
• Full-time public school teachers work on average 36.5 hours per week
during weeks that they are working. By comparison, white-collar
workers (excluding sales) work 39.4 hours, and professional specialty
and technical workers work 39.0 hours per week. Private school
teachers work 38.3 hours per week.
• Compared with public school teachers, editors and reporters earn 24%
less; architects, 11% less; psychologists, 9% less; chemists, 5% less;
mechanical engineers, 6% less; and economists, 1% less.
• Compared with public school teachers, airplane pilots earn 186%
more; physicians, 80% more; lawyers, 49% more; nuclear engineers, 17%
more; actuaries, 9% more; and physicists, 3% more.
• Public school teachers are paid 61% more per hour than private
school teachers, on average nationwide.

(I was suprised by how low some of the engineering salaries were in
comparison; maybe they included *underemployed* people?)

Barbara
Old November 27th 07, 10:57 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Nov 27, 2:29�pm, Banty wrote:
In article ,
Chris says...

Also, here is some information on various professional ranges from my
state alone:

Here is more than one position since you asked, starting with a
teaching position, all from my State's current job posting list:

Special Ed Teacher - salary comm. with experience
School Teacher P11 = $18.29/hour = School teachers require a bachelor's

Corrections Program Coordinator = $16.78/hour = requires a bachelor's degree

Information Technology Programmer/Analyst = $15.75/hour = requires a bachelor's degree

Environmental Quality Analyst = $16.22/hour = requires a bachelor's degree

Toxicologist = $17.52/hour = requires a MASTER'S DEGREE

Corrections Officer = $14.35/hour = requires an associate's degree.

Chris - what are the educational requirements of these? �I suspect most of these
do not even require a bachelor's degree.

Banty- Hide quoted text -

Old November 27th 07, 10:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Nov 27, 5:34�pm, cjra wrote:
On Nov 26, 4:18 pm, Chris wrote:

[...]

does is argue that the state pays lousy.- Hide quoted text -

Old November 27th 07, 10:59 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Nov 27, 5:34�pm, cjra wrote:

[...]

LOL. Might have been, but it can't go unnoticed wherein the teacher's
salary falls within the SAME organization/employer.
Old November 27th 07, 11:01 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Nov 27, 2:13�pm, Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Chris wrote:
Exactly, Erica, which is why it bothers me when people don't recognize
the fact that not all teachers are *underpaid*

� � � � Do *all* teachers have to be underpaid for teacher
compensation to be an issue?

and they continue to
perpetuate the stereotypical myth with that generalized statement as
such.

Of course not, but it doesn't equate to people chanting the teachers
deserve more - maybe City A's teacher's need more, but certainly not
*all* teachers.
Old November 27th 07, 11:10 PM posted to misc.kids
cjra

On Nov 27, 4:59 pm, Chris wrote:
On Nov 27, 5:34�pm, cjra wrote:

On Nov 26, 4:18 pm, Chris wrote:

[...]

Except the teacher requires a college degree (and frequently loans to
obtain that degree). The other positions, at least in my state, do
not.
Old November 27th 07, 11:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Nov 27, 6:10Â*pm, cjra wrote:
On Nov 27, 4:59 pm, Chris wrote:

On Nov 27, 5:34�pm, cjra wrote:

On Nov 26, 4:18 pm, Chris wrote:

[...]

not.- Hide quoted text -

As you can see from my subsequent posts about the required degrees for
the same employer, it IS the case here. Besides, that's the equivalent
of saying that anyone can purchase their salary without proper
attention paid to the actual requirements of the job itself or its
risks or dangers, I might add.
Old November 27th 07, 11:50 PM posted to misc.kids
Beth Kevles

Hi, again --

I just know, from personal and professional experience, that teachers
work roughly 7-8 *scheduled* hours each day, and typically take home 2-4
additional hours of work most nights. The number of additional hours
will vary depending upon how many different classes (ie, different
lesson plans to prepare) a teacher has, how many students the teacher
has each day, and whether the classes are the same as last year or
whether there have been major revisions or changes in the curriculum.
(More work with a new curriculum, naturally.)

My previous post was not intended to be biased one way or the other in
terms of teacher salaries, just to inject some facts into the
discussion.

My personal belief is that teaching can be very stressful and takes a
lot of physical stamina as well as mental energy. In some jurisdictions
teachers are paid fairly, in a few they are paid well, and in many they
are grossly underpaid. But then, I believe that many workers are
underpaid.

My two cents,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.