what about fluoride drops?

Old May 13th 06, 10:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default what about fluoride drops?

Actuallly, studies now show that U.S. children are over-fluoridated.
From 1/3 to 1/2 of US schoolchildren have dental fluorosis - white

spotted, yellow or brown and sometimes pitted teeth. Researchers
actually suggest cutting back.

Fluoride is not a nutrient nor essential for healthy teeth. A
fluoride-free diet (which is not possible) does not lead to tooth
decay. No fluoride deficiency state exists.

Swallowing fluoride confers to benefits according to the Centers for
Disease Control. Fluoride gets absorbed into the enamel to make it
harder. However, according to the CDC, the amount of fluoride in tooth
enamel is not inversely related to less tooth decay.

There is no valid science which supports the ingestion of fluoride
supplements for children; but there are loads of studies which show it
can be harmful

for more info:

article on fluoride supplements at a Pediatrician's website:
http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...uoridesupp.asp

New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation, Inc.
http://www.orgsites.com/ny/nyscof

Fluoridation News Releases
http://tinyurl.com/6kqtu

Fluoride News Tracker
http://www.fluoridenews.blogspot.com/

Fluoride Action Network
http://www.FluorideAction.Net

oregonchick wrote:
Emily is 5 months now. I was at the dentist with her yesterday for my own
checkup, and the dentist was very surprised to find that I didn't have her
on fluoride drops yet. He said they start right around this time, and
wondered why my ped hadn't mentioned it.

Fluoride drops? Yeah, I know what they're for, but I have perfect teeth,
and we didn't have fluoride in our water, or by supplement. Is this really
critical for future teeth development? I don't want to be neglectful, but I
also don't want to be giving drops and supplements for this and that.

Also, is iron supplementation critical at this point or do they get enough
in breast milk. We have the tri vi sol drops, but I wondered if they too
are critical?

Betsy

Old May 13th 06, 12:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Well said Larry.
The topical application is how I have been told the best way to do it
with children. I have also been told do not use fluoride toothpaste with
small children. It can poison them.

Jo

wrote:
There is absolutely NO evidence that the systemic use of fluoride
provides any benefit at all, and there is evidence that it can cause
fluoriosis, both in teeth and bones. It is currently thought than
any benefit from fluoride is based on topical application to the
teeth themselves.

Based on the above the preponderance of evidence indicates you
should NOT be giving to fluoride to small infants. To that you
might add the fact that there is a fair amount of fluoride now in
all commerical waters, sodas, juices, etc. I think she will be
exposed to a large enough quantity of incidental environmenta
fluoride that you don't want to be giving any intentionally.

JMHO,
Larry

Old May 13th 06, 08:50 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
. ..
Emily is 5 months now. I was at the dentist with her yesterday for my own
checkup, and the dentist was very surprised to find that I didn't have her
on fluoride drops yet. He said they start right around this time, and
wondered why my ped hadn't mentioned it.

Fluoride drops? Yeah, I know what they're for, but I have perfect teeth,
and we didn't have fluoride in our water, or by supplement. Is this

really
critical for future teeth development? I don't want to be neglectful, but

also don't want to be giving drops and supplements for this and that.

Also, is iron supplementation critical at this point or do they get enough
in breast milk. We have the tri vi sol drops, but I wondered if they too
are critical?

Betsy

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi....html#Fluoride

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html (Assuming you
wonder about Vit D in tri vi sol)

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...mins.html#diet

DD's ped did not recommend iron, fluoride or Vit D supplementation (not
needed where I live and in that DD is very fair-skinned). She was
exclusively BF for almost 7 months.

Marie
DD-27 months

Old May 13th 06, 11:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"peggy-o" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wonder if its only bad if your water already has Flouride in it?
Defenitly something to look into.
Gosh between the vaccinations (MMR) and now this it's enough to make
your head spin wondering what to do. I mean how do you know when to
just trust yout Dr. is doing right by your child? Im a Graphic Designer
and I expect that if you hire me for services that you'll take my
creative advise since I have a BFA in it and years of experience in
what I do. Why is it not the same with our Dr.s?
Part of me feels like how can I knowing nothing about being a Dr.
question what they have spent years of learning and practicing. I don't
lke to self medicate and thats why I go see a Dr. when I really need
something...

But ... just like any profession, there are good ones, average ones, and
naff/bad ones. In our local surgery, there are 3 doctors. They are well
known and we all in the local community know who's good and who's naff. But
in fact, the naff one is good on skin problems !

Like any profession, they are there to be questioned, and cross-checked.

Old May 14th 06, 05:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

The fluoride drops are recommended for children who have well water
versus city water. City water is already treated. I've heard all kinds
of terrible things about the fluoride, but both my dentist and ped
recommend it. I still don't give it every night, BUT since when I had
my first we had city water until he was 18 months old - he wasn't put
on flouride by the doc until THEY discovered I had well water, probably
at around the age of 3 or 4 when my daughter would have been 1 or 2.
Also, at that time, my daughter was well past the recommended starting
time, and she now has two six-year molars that did not form the enamel
correctly - coincidence since they formed between birth and six months?
I dunno, but something to consider.

Old May 15th 06, 01:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"oregonchick" wrote in message
. ..
Our city water is NOT treated. We live in Portland Oregon. I wonder who
decides which water gets fluoride. Is it a state thing maybe?

I believe so. Most of our city water is fluoridated here, and although we
don't have states, individual councils can make that decision.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old May 15th 06, 12:03 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sometimes fluoridation is mandated by states - such as Illinois and
Connecticut. Sometimes voters decides in various cities and towns.
Sometimes Health Commissioners, water boards or local legislative
bodies just demand fluoride into water supplies without any citizen
input.

In New York State, it's a state law that legislative bodies and not
health or water boards get the final say because legislative bodies
represent the people

You can get in touch with the
Oregon Citizens for Safe Drinking Water he
http://keepers-of-the-well.org/oregon/

They have been fighting a statewide fluoridation mandate that probably
will rear its ugly head again in 2007.

Fluoridation gives the illusion that organized dentistry cares about
America's low-income population who have the most cavities and are
least ability to afford dental care or find dentists willing to treat
them on public insurance such as Medicaid. (80% of dentists refuse
Medicaid patients) However, organized dentistry lobbies against any
other dental group that tries to fill that void protecting their
lucrative monopoly more than the health of the poor.

There's a reason that the American Dental Association is the one of the
largest campaign contributors - it's to get legislation passed that
favors them. Legislators are fooled into believing dentistry is
"giving back" by endorsing and instigating fluoridation which will "put
them out of busines." However, after 60 years of water fluoridation
and 50 years of fluoridated toothpaste, dentists make triple the amount
of physicians while working fewer days and fewer hours.

Old May 16th 06, 07:18 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I don't expect my Dr. to be an expert on everything but I'm not asking
my pediatrician about brain surgery its about Fluoride. If they can
prescribe it they SHOULD know all the facts pro and con and be able to
explain why she feels it necessary to use it. If she can't then she has
NO business prescribing it to my baby. I don't give advise on things
I'm not knowledgeable about and would refer them to someone who is. I
expect at least that from a Dr.
Yes there are good and bad Dr.s but its not as easy to weed through all
of them. Sometimes you have to just make a call and you don't know if
your right. That in and of it self is NOT right.

Old May 17th 06, 01:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Okay so Im gathering that the Fluoride is not good for babies other
than topical applications. Does anyone use any type of vitamin drop for
infants 6 months and up such as Poly-Vi-Sol? What are the feelings on
vitamins in general??