Painful sneezing/coughing?

Old September 25th 08, 03:04 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

Default Painful sneezing/coughing?

Is this normal??
It seems that many times that I sneeze or cough, it really hurts. I find
it's in my lower belly, often on the right side (but not limited to that
side) It's lower than my belly button and kind of beside my hips on my
stomach... if that makes any sense?
I also found that it hurts a lot more if I'm laying down - it's like a big
shooting pain in my stomach. I figured out that if I put my right leg up
before a couch/sneeze, it doesn't really hurt much.
Is this normal?? Any idea what it is? I've had this for a couple weeks
now.

Old September 25th 08, 05:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

I don't remember what it is specifically, but it is normal. I had that too.
It could be ligaments stretching, or perhaps a corpus leutum (sp) cyst on
your ovary. It should subside.
--

Jamie Clark

www.ClarkDigitalArts.com

Old September 25th 08, 07:13 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Kat" wrote in message ...
Is this normal??
It seems that many times that I sneeze or cough, it really hurts. I find
it's in my lower belly, often on the right side (but not limited to that
side) It's lower than my belly button and kind of beside my hips on my
stomach... if that makes any sense?
I also found that it hurts a lot more if I'm laying down - it's like a big
shooting pain in my stomach. I figured out that if I put my right leg up
before a couch/sneeze, it doesn't really hurt much.
Is this normal?? Any idea what it is? I've had this for a couple weeks
now.

It sounds familiar to me for one pregnancy. Particularly putting my leg up
before a cough, or holding my side that hurts. I don't remember it being
really painful, but certainly painful enough to be worth noting. I don't
recall it being worse lieing down.
Debbie

Old September 27th 08, 12:33 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_5_]

Kat wrote:
Is this normal??
It seems that many times that I sneeze or cough, it really hurts. I find
it's in my lower belly, often on the right side (but not limited to that
side) It's lower than my belly button and kind of beside my hips on my
stomach... if that makes any sense?
I also found that it hurts a lot more if I'm laying down - it's like a big
shooting pain in my stomach. I figured out that if I put my right leg up
before a couch/sneeze, it doesn't really hurt much.
Is this normal?? Any idea what it is? I've had this for a couple weeks
now.

my bet is that it's a muscular thing that's made worse both by the
hormones of pregnancy and the change in shape of things inside, it may
be that when you are lieing down the baby is resting on a ligament not
allowing it to move in it's normal way and then when you cough it's
jammed up and hurts because it's being stretched in an abnormal way -
maybe it's not that, but it's probably something along those lines,
rather than it being a sign of something wrong like appendicitis.

You can't solve that quickly, good posture and doing some exercises will
help, but only gradually, you might get more release in the short term
by trying to figure out what triggers coughing and what soothes or stops
it, but I would try and figure out a gentle exercise program, with the
number of pregnancies you've had, plus that car accident, you're
somewhere on the path to ongoing back issues and it's easier to prevent
them than it is to deal with them when it get's to the point you're in
severe pain. All women should be doing kegels anyway, you can start with
them and add in other abdominal exercises as you learn them. I don't
know of any particularly good places online, but it's the kind of thing
that crops up in pregnancy magazine - and it is good to get the info
from a source that has pregnancy in mind as there are a few things to
watch out for.

Cheers
Anne
Old September 27th 08, 12:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_5_]

It sounds familiar to me for one pregnancy. Particularly putting my
leg up before a cough, or holding my side that hurts. I don't
remember it being really painful, but certainly painful enough to be
worth noting. I don't recall it being worse lieing down.

What happens if when you feel the cough coming you brace your abdomen?
The answer doesn't really mean anything, just depending on exactly which
of the many muscles, ligaments and tendons is the source of the pain,
and whether it's tight or weak or swollen, or whatever, but it's worth
trying!

What's access to physiotherapy like where you are? I suspect with your
other kids it's not something you'd find easy to access, but if you are
having issues, it's easier to try and address them before they become
severe and if you are lucky enough to find a good person, it may be that
one long session to learn exercises and putting in the time to do them
could really help.

I was really lucky when I was first pregnant I had some pain from an old
back injury, it was pretty intense, but nothing like what I've
experienced since, but my midwife sent me off to physio as soon as I
mentioned it and though the injury was higher up, near the bottom of the
rib cage, the physio taught me the basic pelvic floor and lower
abdominal exercises and though I had a pretty horrific time from late in
my 2nd pregnancy and from then on, I think it must have made a
difference in that first pregnancy and then I continued to work on it
after DS was born and did an awful lot better during the 1st half of my
2nd pregnancy, I think too many times woman accept back pain as a
consequence of pregnancy, which to some extent it is, but most of us
don't have perfect muscles, so there is often something we can do to
help ourselves as well.

Cheers
Anne
Old September 27th 08, 03:22 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Michelle J. Haines

Kat wrote:
Is this normal??
It seems that many times that I sneeze or cough, it really hurts. I find
it's in my lower belly, often on the right side (but not limited to that
side) It's lower than my belly button and kind of beside my hips on my
stomach... if that makes any sense?
I also found that it hurts a lot more if I'm laying down - it's like a big
shooting pain in my stomach. I figured out that if I put my right leg up
before a couch/sneeze, it doesn't really hurt much.
Is this normal?? Any idea what it is? I've had this for a couple weeks
now.

Probably round ligament pains, but also probably a good idea to mention
it to the doc just in case.

Michelle
Flutist
Old September 29th 08, 02:17 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

"Michelle J. Haines" wrote in message
Kat wrote:
Is this normal??
It seems that many times that I sneeze or cough, it really hurts. I find
it's in my lower belly, often on the right side (but not limited to that
side) It's lower than my belly button and kind of beside my hips on my
stomach... if that makes any sense?
I also found that it hurts a lot more if I'm laying down - it's like a
big shooting pain in my stomach. I figured out that if I put my right
leg up before a couch/sneeze, it doesn't really hurt much.
Is this normal?? Any idea what it is? I've had this for a couple weeks
now.

Probably round ligament pains, but also probably a good idea to mention it
to the doc just in case.

Michelle
Flutist

Well, it is nice to know that it's somewhat normal. And nothing to be
alarmed about.
I'll bring it up at my next app't, but doesn't seem like there's any reason
at all to call in before.