BBT Thermometer vs. Regular digital Thermometer

Old June 3rd 04, 08:16 PM
Shannon

Default BBT Thermometer vs. Regular digital Thermometer

I have been using a digital thermometer to chart my temperatures this
week. They have really been all over the place. Is there actually a
different between a BBT thermometer and a regular digital one? My
thermometer is sensitive to one tenth of a degree. I really don't want
to spend the money on a BBT one if it really isn't necessary. Any
thoughts?

Shannon

--
Shannon

Please remove -NO SPAM from email address to email me personally.

Old June 3rd 04, 09:06 PM
Jamie Clark

A regular digital thermometer should be fine. That's what I used for years.
--

Jamie & Taylor
Earth Angel, 1/3/03

Check out Taylor Marlys -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest
Password

Check out our Adoption Page at http://home.earthlink.net/~jamielee6

Old June 3rd 04, 11:02 PM
V.

"Shannon" wrote in message
I have been using a digital thermometer to chart my temperatures this
week. They have really been all over the place. Is there actually a
different between a BBT thermometer and a regular digital one? My
thermometer is sensitive to one tenth of a degree. I really don't want
to spend the money on a BBT one if it really isn't necessary. Any
thoughts?

Shannon

--
Shannon

I use a digital BBT thermometer, and have a regular digital thermometer. I
can tell you that the two come up with different numbers when I take my temp
with both, the regular one giving higher temps (and yes, I have actually
stuck both in my mouth at the same time for maximum comparability!)
However, since you are really looking for *patterns*, not the actual number,
I think you'll be OK as long as you use the same thermometer every time. If
you don't get a good pattern from the regular thermometer, then try the BBT
thermometer. It's *supposed* to be more accurate at the lower temperatures
you are looking for, since the regular thermometer is meant to look for high
temps. I'll tell you one really annoying thing about the BBT thermometer I
have...it beeps once per second or so while taking the temp in addition to
the beeps at the end. This is guaranteed to wake up any sleeping spouse,
but I suppose it's a good thing because it keeps me awake too. (I've fallen
asleep with the thermometer in my hand after taking my temp) You want to
get one that also saves the last temp in case you don't write it down right
away.

Amy
ttc#1

Old June 4th 04, 03:46 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 15:16:50 -0400, Shannon wrote:

Is there actually a different between a BBT thermometer and a regular
digital one? My thermometer is sensitive to one tenth of a degree.

I have found my digital thermometer may have a measurement error of only
0.1F, but the next measurement could easily be 0.5F above or below the
first one. So while using a digital therm I would temp 5 times and take
the average, that resulted in a nice BBT curve. If I would only temp once,
it would be all over the place. I've considered a BBT thermometer, but
found them too expensive.

At the moment I use an old-fashioned oral fever thermometer ($4), which
with only one measurement is far more accurate than the digital one. I
don't know why this is, just my experience. It does take 3 minutes though,
but when I'm just waking up, I don't mind spending another 3 minutes
relaxing

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)