Who the heck are these kids talking to at lunch anyway?

Old May 15th 05, 02:06 PM
Banty

In article , bizby40 says...

"Barbara Bomberger" wrote in message
.. .
My husband and I just had that discussion lately. I could put it in
my pocket but it would fall out (one fell into the commoide). Almost
nothing I wear has a belt and most of my pants are the no waistband
type. I also wear alot of dresses with no wastebank. So mine stays in
a pocket of my purse.

Barb

This is one of the reasons it's so inconvenient for me to carry one at all.
My purse is too small to carry it. Actually, I think I need a new purse
because it's too small to carry anything. If I put my checkbook in it,
it's full. I can maybe slide my keys in there somewhere, but if I try
my sunglasses too, then it won't shut. But I *like* this purse because
everything I need (cash, credit cards, etc.) is in it's own zip open
pocket on the side.

Or maybe I just need to look at the new generation of lightweight
smaller phones. I'm thinking I might get DH a new phone for his
birthday. But I need to see what our cell phone company does
in the way of trade-ins.

Yeah - I need to get an updated phone, also.

As to the buzzer - in a restaurant, you can take it out and put in on the table,
and it will make a buzzing sound you can hear (or toss it in your lap), and
otherwise, keep in in your purse. I've seen quite a few people do that.

Banty

Old May 15th 05, 03:59 PM
Rosalie B.

Banty wrote:

In article , bizby40 says...

"Barbara Bomberger" wrote in message
. ..
My husband and I just had that discussion lately. I could put it in
my pocket but it would fall out (one fell into the commoide). Almost

That reminds me that I went to the bathroom in the Belize zoo, and my
checkbook which I also kept paper money in fell out of my pocket. I
didn't find that it was gone until I went to pay for something about 2
hours down the road. Someone picked it up and turned it in without
taking the money out BTW.

nothing I wear has a belt and most of my pants are the no waistband
type. I also wear alot of dresses with no wasteband. So mine stays in
a pocket of my purse.

Barb

This is one of the reasons it's so inconvenient for me to carry one at all.
My purse is too small to carry it. Actually, I think I need a new purse
because it's too small to carry anything. If I put my checkbook in it,
it's full. I can maybe slide my keys in there somewhere, but if I try
my sunglasses too, then it won't shut. But I *like* this purse because
everything I need (cash, credit cards, etc.) is in it's own zip open
pocket on the side.

I stopped carrying a purse years ago. I either have a wallet which
has space for my credit cards, and checkbook (at which point I carry
my keys separately), or I have a fanny pack which is big enough for
anything I might want to put into it including cameras, phone,
calculator, mirror, hairbrush, pens, water bottle, and the wallet as
above.

If I am with dh (as I am almost all the time now that we are both
retired) and I don't have pockets, I don't take any keys or anything
at all except my camera. I have self darkening glasses, so I don't
carry separate sunglasses.

Or maybe I just need to look at the new generation of lightweight
smaller phones. I'm thinking I might get DH a new phone for his
birthday. But I need to see what our cell phone company does
in the way of trade-ins.

Yeah - I need to get an updated phone, also.

I just got one, but I got one just like my old one - it was cheaper,
and I don't want to go smaller, with smaller keys etc. It would also
mean I'd have to re-learn how to use the darn thing. I tried to
program my mom's phone for her - it's one of those flip open things -
and I couldn't do it. Also AFAIAC, a bigger battery is an advantage
in making a connection. I really like my old bag phone for that
although it is heavy and has none of the extras like caller ID or
voice mail.

I do NOT need to have a picture phone.

As to the buzzer - in a restaurant, you can take it out and put in on the table,
and it will make a buzzing sound you can hear (or toss it in your lap), and
otherwise, keep in in your purse. I've seen quite a few people do that.

Yes that would work as long as I didn't stand up (if it was in my lap)
or forget it. As big as it is, I once lost my fanny pack three times
in one day in Belize.

I was diving in Cozumel, and someone took my camera to take my
picture. I didn't get it clipped onto my BCD properly, and when I
went to take another picture, it was gone. DH said he was going to
attach the next one to a nipple ring so that I wouldn't lose it.

grandma Rosalie
Old May 15th 05, 08:52 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Nan wrote:

*You know, I think this is my pet peeve. The ringer does not *have* to
*be loud enough for everyone in the place to hear the annoying ring
*tone. Well, my other pet peeve is the sheer rudeness of people that
*will have the ringer on in the library.

Oh, I know, that sucks. I always keep my phone on vibrate when I'm
someplace where it could cause a disturbance! I actually once dropped my
phone in the library, before I had one with an automatically locking
keypad, and the dropping ended up reactivating the ringer, and then a call
came in and it rang and I about died. I just turned it off immediately
though.

--
Hillary Israeli, VMD
Lafayette Hill/PA/USA/Earth

Old May 26th 05, 02:53 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

snipping reasons for not being able to carry a cell phone on her
person--dragonlady also, for that matter

You're in luck--there is a gizmo just for you. I use it
at work because even if it's okay to have the ringer on, most
of my work clothes don't have pockets or anywhere good to clip
a phone to. Look for a "phone thong." Here's one example:

http://tinyurl.com/bgte2

They're cheap, and you can wear them around your neck, slung
across one shoulder, around your waist, whatever you like.
You can feel the phone on vibrate, and it makes it easy to
carry your phone even if you aren't carrying a purse.

Best wishes,
Ericka

I finally took the time to look.

It would not look particularly good with my Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes
-- which is what I would wear if I were out to a decent restaraunt. It
would work OK if I were tooling around town in jeans and a t-shirt, or
many other clothes -- but those typically have pockets. I can't imagine
wearing it with dressy clothes.

I tend not to have much of the "in-between" stuff, though I do have a
few outfits, and this would work with those.

I'm not usually all that much into appearance, but somehow adding this
to most of my dressier clothes just doesn't appeal to me.

Old May 26th 05, 01:01 PM
Ericka Kammerer

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

snipping reasons for not being able to carry a cell phone on her
person--dragonlady also, for that matter

You're in luck--there is a gizmo just for you. I use it
at work because even if it's okay to have the ringer on, most
of my work clothes don't have pockets or anywhere good to clip
a phone to. Look for a "phone thong." Here's one example:

http://tinyurl.com/bgte2

I finally took the time to look.

It would not look particularly good with my Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes
-- which is what I would wear if I were out to a decent restaraunt. It
would work OK if I were tooling around town in jeans and a t-shirt, or
many other clothes -- but those typically have pockets. I can't imagine
wearing it with dressy clothes.

Well, I wear it with my work clothes, which are dressy, but
I'm already laden with a badge holder and all that sort of thing
anyway, so one more strap isn't much. I'm generally in a suit, and
wear it over my shoulder with the phone at my waist/hip on the
side under my jacket. Or, I wear it around my waist (like a belt)
with the phone at my waist. I wouldn't wear it with an evening gown,
nor would I wear it with church clothes (but then again, practical
accoutrement such as phones--or even watches!--are not appropriate
formalwear for social occasions and anyone who desperately needs
me at church can call the church office). It would seem to me
that for those presumably few nice dinners out where the receipt
of a phone call is *that* urgent, one could choose one's attire
accordingly. Heck, one could have a tailor modify one's nice
dress to include an on-seam pocket just big enough to hold a
cell phone, if necessary. Seems to me there's pretty much always
a solution if one *really* needs it.
DH has gadgets out the wazoo and is despairing about the
advent of warm weather when he won't be able to wear his favorite
jacket with enough pockets to hold everything, so for Father's Day
he's getting a SCOTTeVest to hold it all ;-) Of course, that's
not suitable for dresswear, but he doesn't wear all his gadgets
for such occasions and it's never a problem for men to tuck a
cell phone on their person while wearing a suit :-P

Best wishes,
Ericka