Dental work & bresatfeeding

Old September 21st 06, 04:17 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

Default Dental work & bresatfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Ah you're a braver woman than me ... I'm supposed to have my wisdom

teeth
out but have been playing the pregnant / breastfeeding excuse to the
dentist
for almost 5 years now. I just can't imagine having to deal with that
sort
of pain whilst chasing little kids around .... so maybe I'll wait until
they
are both in school, ...or high school ... or uni.....

though to be fair if you've been fine to wait 5 years, how true was the
original statement? My dentist said I needed my top pair out, they had not
fully erupted and were difficult to clean, so had got decayed, they hadn't
caused any pain problems at that stage, but when I saw them after they

came
out, it was clear it wouldn't have been long before they did. In the end,

had them done at the same time as the bottom two, which were impacted,

which
were painful, yes, the op was very painful afterwards, I was pregnant and
breastfeeding at the time, but a week of bad pain was far better than

months
or years of infections, pain and difficulty eating.

They don't hurt and haven't moved much of late so I don't see it as a drama
.... but apparently they are causing problems to my other teeth .... not that
I've noticed anything.
Basically though , they don't hurt and I'm not really worried ... but my
dentist repeats himself every time I go.
Maybe I'll just stop going to the dentist
Amanda

Old September 21st 06, 06:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
PK

MareCat wrote:
"PK" wrote in message
ups.com...

FYI - I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out when my daughter was about 3
months old - also exclusively breastfed. I was numbed with novocaine,
and prescribed vicodin for pain relief. I chose not to use the vicodin,
but went with Tylenol instead (which, let me tell you right now, is a
cr@ppy pain killer for that kind of major pain ! YMMV of course)

Why did you choose not to use the Vicodin, especially if you were in that
much pain? Just curious.

Mary

Sorry about the late reply. Well, I had sutures put in and the Vicodin
made me throw up - pretty badly too. My dental surgeon only visited the
clinic I went to - once a week, so I'd have to wait a whole week for a
prescription for some other painkiller.

Hence the switching over to Tylenol.

I'm just glad I did not get the work done during pregnancy. I'd have
gone mad. :-)

PK

Old September 22nd 06, 01:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

FlowerGirl wrote:
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

They don't hurt and haven't moved much of late so I don't see it as a drama
... but apparently they are causing problems to my other teeth .... not that
I've noticed anything.
Basically though , they don't hurt and I'm not really worried ... but my
dentist repeats himself every time I go.
Maybe I'll just stop going to the dentist

Or that dentist anyway. IME, some dentists seem to think that wisdom
teeth, by definition MUST be removed. Others seem to think that as long
as they aren't causing problems, they can be left alone.

My dentist is in the latter group. My mouth is fairly small, but I'd
had some teeth pulled for orthodontic work when I was a pre-teen, so
they were pretty much ok. Only real problem was that it's hard to reach
way back there to brush, and virtually impossible to floss. I got a
cavity in one about 5 years ago, which was filled without trouble.
Then, alas, at my last appointment I had a cavity in another that was
impossible to fill, due to the location. He recommended getting the
tooth pulled, which I did. Yesterday.

YMMV of course, but it was FAR easier than I anticipated. The root was
straight so he was able to do it with just novacaine. He told me that
he didn't expect me to need anything more than tylenol, but to call him
if I was having a lot of pain.
When the novacaine started to wear off it DID hurt a bit, so I took a
Vicodin. (I have them around for treating migraine, and also have a
bunch left over from some minor surgery I had last month -- weird
household I live in where it's easier to lay my hands on a bottle of
Vicodin than Tylenol, but so it goes.) Anyway, whether due to the
vicodin or something else, there was no pain at all yesterday evening.
This morning there is still no pain. A bit of soreness in my jaw, but
nothing troublesome at all.

In any case, if the roots are straight there probably won't be a lot of
post-extraction pain, and you might think about having them yanked one
or two at a time to minimize what pain there will be.

Naomi

Amanda

Old September 22nd 06, 10:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

wrote in message
oups.com...

FlowerGirl wrote:
"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

They don't hurt and haven't moved much of late so I don't see it as a

drama
... but apparently they are causing problems to my other teeth .... not

that
I've noticed anything.
Basically though , they don't hurt and I'm not really worried ... but my
dentist repeats himself every time I go.
Maybe I'll just stop going to the dentist

Or that dentist anyway. IME, some dentists seem to think that wisdom
teeth, by definition MUST be removed. Others seem to think that as long
as they aren't causing problems, they can be left alone.

Err ...he's the least likely to do uneccessary work of the last 4 dentists I
have seen so I do believe him. and I've seen the x-rays.

[...]

Based on my previous history at the dentist and my x-rays, apparently I'm a
candidate for a general. I have to have all 4 out and while I don't have a
problem with having a needle, I do tend to gag too much for it to be doable
in the chair. That and apparently 1 or 2 of them are simple extractions.
I have no idea what Tylenol, or Vicodin are though. I gather they are pain
killers. Are the Ibuprofen, Paracetamol or Codeine / Paracetamol?

In any case, if the roots are straight there probably won't be a lot of
post-extraction pain, and you might think about having them yanked one
or two at a time to minimize what pain there will be.

Nah - If I'm going to do it, I'd rather do it all at once. This means less
hassle organising somebody to look after the kids for the duration. ... and
technically H could do without boobie drinks for a day or two now so that's
really an excuse I'm leaning too heavily on.
Its not really the pain that I'm worried about though .... its the dealing
with the pain and keeping up with the kids that I'm worried about. Most
painkillers tend to really zonk me out (even paracetamol).

Amanda

Old September 23rd 06, 04:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

"FlowerGirl" wrote in message
snip.
Its not really the pain that I'm worried about though .... its the dealing
with the pain and keeping up with the kids that I'm worried about. Most
painkillers tend to really zonk me out (even paracetamol).

Amanda

Bugger it.
I woke up this morning with an aching tooth.
All this talk about dentists ... grumble grumble.
Lets just hope its the sinus infection referring pain to the tooth.
Amanda

Old September 23rd 06, 05:21 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"FlowerGirl" wrote in message
Bugger it.
I woke up this morning with an aching tooth.
All this talk about dentists ... grumble grumble.
Lets just hope its the sinus infection referring pain to the tooth.

Go hop in a steamy shower with a Vicks tablet dingus on the floor and see
what happens.

And consider taking some tylenol or something-if you're curled up in a ball
because of the pain, you're not much different from zonked out.

Jess

Old September 24th 06, 12:37 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

FlowerGirl wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Based on my previous history at the dentist and my x-rays, apparently I'm a
candidate for a general. I have to have all 4 out and while I don't have a
problem with having a needle, I do tend to gag too much for it to be doable
in the chair. That and apparently 1 or 2 of them are simple extractions.
I have no idea what Tylenol, or Vicodin are though. I gather they are pain
killers. Are the Ibuprofen, Paracetamol or Codeine / Paracetamol?

Sorry. Tylenol is pracetamol. Vicodin is paracetamol plus hydrocodone.

(BTW, I have to take back some of what I said yesterday. As the day
went on it began to become somewhat more painful. And today it's about
the same as last night. Not unbearable certainly, but distracting and
annoying.

Naomi

Old September 25th 06, 07:05 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

"Jess" wrote in message

"FlowerGirl" wrote in message
Bugger it.
I woke up this morning with an aching tooth.
All this talk about dentists ... grumble grumble.
Lets just hope its the sinus infection referring pain to the tooth.

Go hop in a steamy shower with a Vicks tablet dingus on the floor and see
what happens.

And consider taking some tylenol or something-if you're curled up in a

ball
because of the pain, you're not much different from zonked out.

The shower worked a treat (no vicks though - just the steam). ... and TMI I
know but *wow* does a sinus cavity hold a heap of fluid or what!!!
Off to the dentist tonight though ... I do think there may be a teensy
weensy problem with the tooth.....
Amanda

Old September 25th 06, 07:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
FlowerGirl

wrote in message
oups.com...

FlowerGirl wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Based on my previous history at the dentist and my x-rays, apparently

I'm a
candidate for a general. I have to have all 4 out and while I don't

have a
problem with having a needle, I do tend to gag too much for it to be

doable
in the chair. That and apparently 1 or 2 of them are simple

extractions.
I have no idea what Tylenol, or Vicodin are though. I gather they are

pain
killers. Are the Ibuprofen, Paracetamol or Codeine / Paracetamol?

Sorry. Tylenol is pracetamol. Vicodin is paracetamol plus hydrocodone.

Ahhh thanks.

(BTW, I have to take back some of what I said yesterday. As the day
went on it began to become somewhat more painful. And today it's about
the same as last night. Not unbearable certainly, but distracting and
annoying.

I think that's the difference between a pain that's in your head and one
elsewhere in the body. I can usually distract my brain when the pain isn't
in my head ....
Hope you're feeling better soon.
Amanda