Anyone see this?

Old October 5th 06, 06:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CY

Default Anyone see this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061004/...eastfeeding_dc

Breastfeeding has no impact on intelligence
Thoughts, anyone?

Old October 5th 06, 01:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Caledonia

CY wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061004/...eastfeeding_dc

Breastfeeding has no impact on intelligence
Thoughts, anyone?

Sounds reasonable to me -- it's highly confounded with maternal IQ,
education levels and income here in the US. It's similar to maternal
smoking and IQ -- equally confounded by maternal IQ, education, and
income levels.

Next?

Caledonia

Old October 5th 06, 02:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

CY wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061004/...eastfeeding_dc

Breastfeeding has no impact on intelligence
Thoughts, anyone?

Not shocking. It's remarkably difficult to measure intelligence (I'm
not a fan of IQ tests anyway), and there are too many confounders.

I think the physical and emotional and physical benefits are more than
enough reason to BF. I never liked the intelligence argument anyway,
for a variety of reasons.

Old October 7th 06, 12:30 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Caledonia wrote:
CY wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061004/...eastfeeding_dc

Breastfeeding has no impact on intelligence
Thoughts, anyone?

Sounds reasonable to me -- it's highly confounded with maternal IQ,
education levels and income here in the US.

What I don't get is that all the articles I've ever seen that said
there *was* a difference also said that the studies *had* corrected for
socioeconomic status, education, etc. The differences got much smaller
(especially for full-term babies) but were still present. What's
changed?

--Helen

Old October 7th 06, 02:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

" wrote in message
ups.com...
What I don't get is that all the articles I've ever seen that said
there *was* a difference also said that the studies *had* corrected for
socioeconomic status, education, etc. The differences got much smaller
(especially for full-term babies) but were still present. What's
changed?

I was taught in my nursing nutrit and anatomy class that breastfeeding
doesn't impact intelligence.

Jess

Old October 7th 06, 04:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Amy Austin

CY wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061004/...eastfeeding_dc

Breastfeeding has no impact on intelligence
Thoughts, anyone?

I liked the Onion's response:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/53795

Amy
(Dr. Pepper - snort!)

Old October 7th 06, 07:19 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"Amy Austin" wrote in message
oups.com...
I liked the Onion's response:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/53795

Amy
(Dr. Pepper - snort!)

Hey! Dr. Pepper's good stuff!

Jess

Old October 7th 06, 06:40 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

cjra wrote:
CY wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061004/...eastfeeding_dc

Breastfeeding has no impact on intelligence
Thoughts, anyone?

Not shocking. It's remarkably difficult to measure intelligence (I'm
not a fan of IQ tests anyway), and there are too many confounders.

I think the physical and emotional and physical benefits are more than
enough reason to BF. I never liked the intelligence argument anyway,
for a variety of reasons.

I don't think the difference in IQ argument is actually ABOUT
"intelligence" as such. It's about getting a handle on how nutrition
affects infant brain development. The whole emphasis on "your baby will
be dumber/smarter" is oversimplified to the point of meaninglessness.

--Helen

Old October 10th 06, 12:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article yKDVg.8845$Rp3.1913@dukeread12, "Jess" wrote:

" wrote in message
ups.com...
What I don't get is that all the articles I've ever seen that said
there *was* a difference also said that the studies *had* corrected for
socioeconomic status, education, etc. The differences got much smaller
(especially for full-term babies) but were still present. What's
changed?

I was taught in my nursing nutrit and anatomy class that breastfeeding
doesn't impact intelligence.

But why, when a number of studies have found a difference? As an aside:
Miraca Gross's study of profoundly gifted children found that an
extraordinarily high proportion of them were not only breastfed, but BF for a
long time, with weaning being child-led.

My guess is that this particular BMJ study was in the 0.05% (or 0.01%) where
this result would occur by chance. IOW, there needs to be some replication.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue