Pumping in public bathrooms?

Old October 7th 06, 01:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Pumping in public bathrooms?

Anne Rogers writes:

: Though I guess if disabled provision is a
: big stall in the main area then you are out of luck!

: Anne

this is usually the case in the US.

Larry
Old October 7th 06, 01:22 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Anne Rogers writes:

: was just a faff to arrange it

Please translate into 'merikin.

:-)
Larry

Old October 7th 06, 02:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"Caledonia" wrote in message
ps.com...
Ime, I know of 2 other women who used the bathroom to pump; it's not
ideal, but it's better than nothing, and 'nothing' is often an the
third option, right after 'the car'. (Pumping in the CAR? While going
through the two-lane all-holds-barred ROTARY? With a stick shift, and a
cup of coffee?)

Please tell me you're exaggerating. I'm having nightmares of scorched tits
and dumped milk and trying to explain to the officer why exactly you rear
ended someone...or being the rear-endee and having the officer come check on
you and yeah...

So don't want to go there.

Jess

Old October 7th 06, 03:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Jess wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am I the only one that things this is not reasonable?

Nope. Can you make your office private?

Oh I should have been clearer. I do have a private office and that's
where I pump everyday, no biggie.

Next week I'll be at an exercise at another location, an old office
building set up with lots of cubicles now removed so more warehouse
like, but there are lots of small rooms. It's what we used for the
Katrina/Rita shelter for 5 months last year. The schedule's kind of
tight which is why I notified my boss I'd need to scoot out for awhile.
I'm sure I can get access to one of the small rooms, I was just kind
of surprised when 2 people mentioned the bathroom like that was the
normal place all pumping mothers would use. I wasn't upset or
anything, just kind of surprised

Before I launched into an explanation of how a bathroom wasn't an
appropriate place to pump (in a pinch, it doesn't matter where, but not
as the default locale), I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one who
thought that, that everyone wasn't going to run in and say "I pump in
the public toilets all the time!"

It doesn't help that I have really bad memories of those bathrooms. As
it is I *really* didn't want to go to this building again. Even driving
by it gives me the creeps.

Old October 7th 06, 03:58 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Caledonia wrote:

Ummm, 1 - the bathrooms are often not equipped with an outlet (I don't
have mine battery operated at the moment),

I've found that most bathrooms, oddly enough, have been equipped with
outlets; figuring this out was a *profound* relief (the Lactina didn't
have batteries), and the key was a really long extension cord and an
attitude of what could best be described as 'screw you, I need to do
this for my baby.'

Hmmm, I am going to have to look closer. I've rarely noticed any.

2-even if it was I'd have to
stand up in the common area and pumping standing is no fun

Long extension cord. I kid you not.

3 - I'm sure
as hell not going to sit in a gross bathroom stall to pump.
And just to make it fun I hate that place - it's what we used for the
Katrina shelter last year and I have such horrid memories (I worked it,
didn't stay in it).

Weeell, it's not entirely fun, but I'm guessing that it's not like the
bathroom in a off-the-beaten-track Mobil station.

Ah, it's probably ok now, but last time I saw it it *looked* like an
off-the-beaten-path Mobil station.

Ime, I know of 2 other women who used the bathroom to pump; it's not
ideal, but it's better than nothing, and 'nothing' is often an the
third option, right after 'the car'. (Pumping in the CAR? While going
through the two-lane all-holds-barred ROTARY? With a stick shift, and a
cup of coffee?)

I honestly think I'd prefer the car, tho not while moving!

It's no big deal, I'll find a place and my workplace is 100% supportive
of BF/pumping - they'd better be as the dept (not our division) is
launching a big BF campaign shortly, but it made me wonder if I need to
take this opportunity to educate people on what it means to be
'BF-friendly' - ie, the bathroom doesn't work - or if it's just me and
that's a common place for people to pump.

I commend you on your desire to educate people -- I didn't have that
desire nor was my employer engaged in a push to promote breastfeeding,
so in that regard, my desires dovetailed with those of my employer. I
think you have a far better case to make than I ever had.

I work for our local health department, and as part of a national
mandate, BF is a bit part of a community education program. Oddly
though, our public departments are not officially "mother friendly",
and in fact the policies would make it seem very mother *un* friendly.
And while many of the management sorts have private offices, the rank
and file do not, nor are there pumping or private rooms available for
it. Fortunately most supervisors are supportive and flexible on that
point (one I know offered his office, since he's often out of it in the
field, to his pumping staff). In any case, BF education is a big deal,
tho not in my area. In terms of my own attempts to educate, I don't
want to make a big deal out of it, but on the other hand feel like it's
my responsibility *to* educate people so that someone more timid, more
junior isn't forced to (or considers not pumping out of fear and
inconvenience).

Old October 7th 06, 04:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

cjra wrote:
Caledonia wrote:

I commend you on your desire to educate people -- I didn't have that
desire nor was my employer engaged in a push to promote breastfeeding,
so in that regard, my desires dovetailed with those of my employer. I
think you have a far better case to make than I ever had.

I work for our local health department, and as part of a national
mandate, BF is a bit part

BIG part. I can't type.

Old October 7th 06, 05:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Lara

Anne Rogers wrote:

[where to pump]
disabled loo, I don't know what provision is like in the US, but
anywhere I've been in the UK there has always been a disabled loo close
to the regular loos with stalls,

Wow, I can't think of anywhere _less_ appropriate. Not only is it as
much a contaminated, inhibiting environment as a regular bathroom, but
you'd be potentially making a disabled person wait 20 or so minutes
before they can access a toilet, something many are unable to do.

An individual's judgements of "oh but it's almost completely unused" are
not a reason to block access.

Lara
Old October 7th 06, 06:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

cjra wrote:

Two people today suggested that in such a matter of fact way like why
was I concerned?There are bathrooms in that building... Neither of them
have ever BF'd or pumped before, though.

People who have never BF'd or pumped would not
know, truly. Before I had kids, I would not
have known.

You need to educate them gently. Just say nicely,
"Oh, that wouldn't work. I mean, I wouldn't make
you a sandwich in the bathroom!".

-- Anita --
Old October 7th 06, 09:49 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

disabled loo, I don't know what provision is like in the US, but
anywhere I've been in the UK there has always been a disabled loo close
to the regular loos with stalls,

Wow, I can't think of anywhere _less_ appropriate. Not only is it as
much a contaminated, inhibiting environment as a regular bathroom, but
you'd be potentially making a disabled person wait 20 or so minutes
before they can access a toilet, something many are unable to do.

An individual's judgements of "oh but it's almost completely unused" are
not a reason to block access.

ok, the situation was that both buildings I was using were built with a
disabled loo in every location that there was a regular loo, the one that I
was using was far away from areas where there would be visitors, non regular
users of the building etc. and I knew that no one else from that area of the
building needed to use it, again it was something that happened rarely,
rather than regularly, I would have made arrangements had it been a regular
thing. As there was alternatives exceedingly close I don't think I was
blocking access.

Cheers

Anne