Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Old October 8th 06, 10:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

Default Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Lorelei has Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (got it from Teddy, who is
11--don't know where he picked it up) and her mouth hurts so bad that
she can't nurse. This has been going on for 36 hours now. She points
at her mouth and says, "Hurts." She'll latch on for about a second and
then pull off and whine. She's been spending a lot of time sitting on
my lap with her hand or her head on my breast for comfort. It's so
sad.

Has anyone else dealt with this? How long did it last?

Leslie

Old October 9th 06, 12:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"Leslie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone else dealt with this? How long did it last?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/...virus/hfhf.htm

Jess

Old October 9th 06, 02:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

Jess wrote:
"Leslie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone else dealt with this? How long did it last?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/...virus/hfhf.htm

Jess

Thanks--lots of info there!

Leslie

Old October 9th 06, 05:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Leslie wrote:

Lorelei has Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

If she uses a bottle at all, put an ice cube
in it, then whatever drink. Or put a lot of
ice in a cup and then liquid. The cold should
numb some of the pain.

When Pillbug had HFM disease, an ice cube in his
bottle was the only way we could calm him down.

-- Anita --
Old October 9th 06, 06:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"Leslie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks--lots of info there!

No problem.

Jess

Old October 9th 06, 07:37 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

Irrational Number wrote:
Leslie wrote:

Lorelei has Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

If she uses a bottle at all, put an ice cube
in it, then whatever drink. Or put a lot of
ice in a cup and then liquid. The cold should
numb some of the pain.

When Pillbug had HFM disease, an ice cube in his
bottle was the only way we could calm him down.

Ice is good . . . we don't have any bottles in the house at this point,
unfortunately. It's so sad, she tries to eat, takes one bite of
whatever it is, then starts to cry. She can't even tolerate a straw.

How long did Pillbug's mouth hurt?

Leslie

Old October 10th 06, 08:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Leslie wrote:

Ice is good . . . we don't have any bottles in the house at this point,
unfortunately. It's so sad, she tries to eat, takes one bite of
whatever it is, then starts to cry. She can't even tolerate a straw.

How long did Pillbug's mouth hurt?

I believe it was around 5 days... The actual
course of the illness was around 9 days.

Yeah, I thought that she was not using a bottle
anymore. I'd probably put anything she normally
drinks in the fridge, then still add ice to it
so that it's really cold.

We tried using the dental numbing things used
for teething, but Pillbug would have none of it.

-- Anita --
Old October 12th 06, 04:05 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Leslie wrote:
Lorelei has Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease (got it from Teddy, who is
11--don't know where he picked it up) and her mouth hurts so bad that
she can't nurse. This has been going on for 36 hours now. She points
at her mouth and says, "Hurts." She'll latch on for about a second and
then pull off and whine. She's been spending a lot of time sitting on
my lap with her hand or her head on my breast for comfort. It's so
sad.

Has anyone else dealt with this? How long did it last?

Leslie

I'm so sorry Lorelei is going through this. It is just miserable. Katie
had a NASTY bout when she was about 3. Came {} this close to being
admitted to the hospital for dehydration because I couldn't get any
fluids into her.
I've read about mixing maalox and benadryl and dabbing it on the sores
or having them rinse and spit (Lorelei's probably too young for that).
Google for proportions/directions.

Praying it ends soon!!

Karen

Old October 15th 06, 05:49 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

Thanks, Karen. It was awful but she's all better now. She went 36
hours without nursing at all, then started nursing only during the
night. She really didn't eat much at all for several days--only ice
cream!

Her 11 and 12 year old brothers both had it too, but not as bad. Even
her Daddy got it! I guess I must have had it as a child because I
escaped.

Thanks for the prayers. I'm sure they helped.

Leslie