Odd question...

Old October 7th 03, 01:01 AM
Akuvikate

Default Odd question...

"Sue" wrote in message ...
AlenasMom wrote in message
Update: She made it to 7 before 6:30 am.
But what does one do when the diaper count is low? Do you call the
pediatrician? Or go to the hospital?

Nothing. Keep an eye on it and keep feeding the baby. Watch for sunken
fontanels and no tears when she is crying as for signs of dehydration. Are
you using disposable diapers or cloth diapers? Disposable diapers are really
good at keeping the wetness away so sometimes it is hard to tell if it is
actually wet or not. Keep an eye on your daughter's behavior. Does she seem
extremely sleepy? Any change in her behavior at all? I personally would just
keep an eye out for dehydration.

I agree that it sounds like Alena is fine. However sunken fontanel
and lack of tears are both *really* late signs of dehydration (iirc,
babies lose 15-20% of their body weight before those happen). In our
pediatrics rotations amount of pee was definitely emphasized as the
most important thing to follow hydration status. The other
physical findings are all either unreliable or indicators of severe
dehydration.

Nonetheless, what's more important than number of wet diapers is the
whole picture of the kid. If fluid's going in the only way to get
dehydrated is that more fluid's coming out -- pee, diarrhea, sweat, or
breathing (ie fast breathing with a fever). If the baby looks fine,
is eating, isn't acting sick, and doesn't seem to be losing fluid by
any weird mechanism, I'm having a hard time thinking of a reason why
the kid wouldn't be fine. If it seems really weird than call the
pediatrician, otherwise just watch the diapers and the kid's behavior
and expect things to normalize soon.

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003
Old October 7th 03, 01:10 AM
AlenasMom

"Akuvikate" wrote in message
om...
"Sue" wrote in message

AlenasMom wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! She seems great, if a little more hungry today! She's already up to
6 diapers today and it's only 7:41pm. (I count from 6:30am until 6:30am)
So she was probably just reaching the end or begining of yet another growth
spurt.

Old October 7th 03, 01:30 AM
Larry McMahan

AlenasMom writes:
: What do you do if your baby doesn't have 6 wet diapers in a day? Alena's at
: 4 and it's 10:30pm... Should I be worried?

Having read your update too...

First, you know you should be counting for the 24 hour day. I think you
know that (at least now).

Now, what to do if the count is low...

First day, try to nurse more to get the count back up. This is the same
advice as if you have a low count the second day, but no secondary
indications of dehydration. This is a case where co-sleeping and
increased night nursing can make a substantial difference.

If there are mild indications of dehydration, (slightly sunken fontenella,
eyes, but no legarthy) do a nursign holiday. Go to bed with your baby for
all day and nurse as much as possible.

If it get any worse or persists any longer than that, then you will probably
have to supplement with either EBM or formula. You will probably want
your doctor's advice if you get this far.

Good luck,
Larry
Old October 7th 03, 12:48 PM
Chookie

In article ,
Sara wrote:

Hijacking the thread -- I never counted the diapers Ollie went through
as a newborn, and I still don't know what officially is a "wet" (as
opposed to, say, "damp") diaper. Am I a Bad Mom?

No -- I never counted either. I was never worried that DS wasn't eating
enough, nor did I ever think my supply was low. Without a reason to suspect a
problem, why would you bother to count nappies?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old October 8th 03, 11:27 AM
elizabeth emerald

"Chookie" wrote in message
In article ,
Sara wrote:

Hijacking the thread -- I never counted the diapers Ollie went through
as a newborn, and I still don't know what officially is a "wet" (as
opposed to, say, "damp") diaper. Am I a Bad Mom?

No -- I never counted either. I was never worried that DS wasn't eating
enough, nor did I ever think my supply was low. Without a reason to

suspect a
problem, why would you bother to count nappies?

i never counted, just made sure that most nappy change was a wet one, which
it pretty much was. surely that would add up to the "count", probably more
as it felt like i was changing DS every 5 mins at the beginning!
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

Kids should work... bobb General 108 December 15th 03 04:23 PM
| | Kids should work... Kane General 13 December 10th 03 03:30 AM
Kids should work. LaVonne Carlson General 22 December 7th 03 05:27 AM
And again he strikes........ Doan strikes ...... again! was Kids should work... Kane General 2 December 6th 03 04:28 AM
Dumb first time mom question :) Donna General 7 July 28th 03 03:29 PM