Solids for medication

Old December 8th 03, 09:44 PM
Dawn Lawson

Default Solids for medication

KC wrote:

Dont pedis often prescribe rice cereal for reflux? Neither of my kids
had reflux, but I am sure I have heard of rice cereal being prescribed
for it, so just think of the rice cereal as part of the medicine.

They DO, but it's not very effective/useful an rx.
And Losec need not be given mixed in solids, it can be made into a
liquid without too much trouble.

Dawn

Old December 9th 03, 03:20 AM
Tina

"AlenasMom" wrote in message t.cable.rogers.com...
I have to give Alena a pill called Lausec (I think I spelled that right)
for her reflux. The only way I can give it to her is in some form of a
solid (like rice cereal or fruit... or something.)
Is this going to cause her allergies and problems because she's only 5
months old??? I sat and cried when my doctor told me this.
So I spent an hour looking for a rice cereal that wasn't made out of 35%
formula and wasn't made by Nestle (I'm boycotting them... I miss Aero bars
soooo much!!!) and found Heinz Rice Cereal.
Someone help me feel better about this....

I don't think it's that early, but it's totally up to you. You can
try to find a compounding pharmacist (we have one that I'm always
ready to call if there's a medicine issue), and our regular pharmacy
will do a lot of different things as well -- I try to avoid a lot of
the filler-type things that are in medicines anyway.

But, if you do in fact have to use rice cereal or something, save the
Heinz, if you bought it, for later -- use plain brown rice that you
can make into cereal yourself at home. You can even use filtered or
bottled water if you want -- and it's really good, I even used to eat
it with my kids. You just put a handful of dry, uncooked, brown rice
in the blender, and blend/puree/liquefy -- whatever your blender
settings are until it looks like fine sand. Then you cook it in
boiling water on the stove like cream of wheat. It's really easy and
inexpensive, and I think it tastes better than any rice cereal (even
cream of rice isn't as good, I don't think). And you can make it
organic if you want. If you use a handful of rice, that should serve
the baby for an entire day, and that's if they're starting to be
'eating-eating', not just taking it with medicine.

I think the book I used to make my kids food was 'Super Baby Food',
and while most of it is intuitive and self explanatory, it was
helpful. I got it used at Half Price Books, it was probably 8 or 10
bucks.

Good Luck!

Tina.
Old December 9th 03, 09:06 PM
AlenasMom

"Tina" wrote in message
om...
"AlenasMom" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for this! Alena started the rice cereal because the liquid was just
coming back up. She gets about 1/2 tsp of it right now and it seems to be
working for everything! She's not as spitty as she was when she started the
Losec, and she hasn't stopped breathing in her sleep once since we started
it!!!
So far so good!
I'm going to use the homemade stuff from now on though... less chemicals!
Thanks to Dawn for the recipe for making the pills into liquid form. That
was really helpful, but just didn't work for this crazy baby. (She holds
liquid at the back of her throat until she can spit it out at us.)
I'm planning to make all of her foods, so the recipe book for babies is
going to be put on my shopping list.

Old December 10th 03, 02:01 AM
AlenasMom

"Tina" wrote in message
om...
"AlenasMom" wrote in message

[...]

Actually. I have another question about it...
Can you freeze portions of this like with carrots etc?

Not offering solids yet?! Andrea Breastfeeding 8 December 5th 03 07:57 PM
We stopped solids! Andrea Breastfeeding 15 October 27th 03 10:34 PM
Medical Abstracts re Intro of Solids? Belphoebe Breastfeeding 3 August 25th 03 02:13 PM
poop, solids vent.. ted Breastfeeding 3 August 14th 03 04:44 PM
solids and a 6 month old DavesFatChick Breastfeeding 4 July 28th 03 08:21 PM