Too much nighttime nursing?

Old January 30th 04, 01:45 AM
Zucca4

Default Too much nighttime nursing?

( I don't think my original subject line was specific enough)

Michael Jude is 10 weeks now and still co-sleeping with us. I nurse him to
sleep each night as it seems to be the olnly way to get him to drift off into
never-never land. I'll deal with getting him to sleep on his own later on I
suppose but for now this has worked as a brilliant quick fix for a very
sleep-deprived, overwhelmed new mom.

Question: Last night DS spit up considerably twice. I'm not sure if it's
because I don't burp him at night when he drifts off to sleep OR if he's
overfed b/c he stays at the breast for so long. Even if he's merely sucking
for comfort doesn't milk still come out? Do babies know when they are full
even in their sleep ?

Thanks,
Lisa

Old January 30th 04, 02:20 AM
Em

"Zucca4" wrote in message

( I don't think my original subject line was specific enough)

Michael Jude is 10 weeks now and still co-sleeping with us. I nurse him

sleep each night as it seems to be the olnly way to get him to drift off

into
never-never land. I'll deal with getting him to sleep on his own later on

suppose but for now this has worked as a brilliant quick fix for a very
sleep-deprived, overwhelmed new mom.

My DS seems to be a somewhat rare breed of baby that *doesn't* always want
to nurse to sleep. I confess to actually feeling wistful when I read some
people's posts about how to make a baby learn to go to sleep other ways,
because I have spent many an evening wishing my baby would nurse to sleep
(well, I exaggerate, he probably only refuses to nurse to sleep a couple of
times per week. Even when he does nurse to sleep, he usually unlatches
himself and finishing falling to sleep for the last few seconds without the
nipple in his mouth.

Question: Last night DS spit up considerably twice. I'm not sure if it's
because I don't burp him at night when he drifts off to sleep OR if he's
overfed b/c he stays at the breast for so long. Even if he's merely

sucking
for comfort doesn't milk still come out? Do babies know when they are

full
even in their sleep ?

Does he spit up other times? I would venture to guess that it is possible
that he was kind of "storing" the extra milk from comfort sucking in his
mouth and then let it spill out when he was finished. Not really spitting
up--just kind of holding the milk since he was no longer hungry, but not
quite finished nursing. Did it seem curdy or sour smelling at all? Also, I
have read that babies do sometimes get a tiny bit overfull and so a little
bit has to come back up.

On a side note, on the nights when my DS not only wants to nurse to sleep,
but also wants to suck for an extended period of time, we joke that he is
nursing at the precise rate of speed to keep pace with his digestion (thus,
never full!).

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 4 months

Old January 30th 04, 08:12 PM
HollyLewis

Question: Last night DS spit up considerably twice. I'm not sure if it's
because I don't burp him at night when he drifts off to sleep OR if he's
overfed b/c he stays at the breast for so long. Even if he's merely sucking
for comfort doesn't milk still come out? Do babies know when they are full
even in their sleep ?

Thanks,
Lisa

You can't actually overfeed him.

It's possible he's taking in a bit more milk than he can handle, which is why
the spitup. Or he could have gas in his stomach; the milk lands atop the gas
bubble and when he burps, up comes the milk too.

Either way, if the spitup doesn't upset him, it's not a problem. Well, other
than the laundry problem. Put a towel under him and a waterproof pad on your
bed and don't worry about it.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 3yo
EDD #2 6/8/04