Have We Created A Monster? Mixed Bag/Please Help!

Old March 11th 04, 05:35 PM

Default Have We Created A Monster? Mixed Bag/Please Help!

iphigenia wrote:

Sleeping through the night is medically defined for an infant as 5
consecutive hours. Expecting a baby under a year to sleep for 8-9 hours
seems a bit futile; it might happen and yay if it does, but if you're
expecting it, I think you're setting yourself up for frustration!

I agree with this whole heartedly. We had some sleep associations that
weren't working for us and when we changed them our son is still waking
up twice at night for feedings. Which is a-ok with us 'cuz it's a lot
more workable than the 4-8 wakings we had normally.

Something that's always helped my son, the light sleeper, is a white noise
machine. They're available all over the place - mine's made by Homedics -
and I have it set to ocean sounds. He's always slept longer stretches when
it's on.

I tried ocean waves and that didn't work. I turned on the vacuum one day
and he yawned in less than 3 minutes. The blender was also soothing for
him.
Old March 11th 04, 05:41 PM

Irene wrote:

Anyhow...first, wait until baby is very sound asleep, and floppy.
This generally takes about 20 minutes - that seems long, until you
have to repeat it because you didn't wait long enough! ;-)

That's interesting. We did this but differently. We were patting
his back and sush'ing him and put him down. He let out a few cries
but we kept patting and sushing. We got it to the point where he
would fall asleep in the crib with our hands wrapped around him
while we sush'd him to sleep.

Over the course of a week or two he eventually just went to sleep
in the crib on his own.

He sleeps in his car seat in the crib because of reflux. Hopefully
the prevacid will kick in and we can get him out of the car seat.
I can't imagine he's 100% comfy in there.

It also helps if the surface you are putting the baby on is the same
temperature as the baby - no cold sheets. I like flannel for that
reason, but sometimes have resorted to holding the baby on a receiving
blanket and then putting them down together. A sleep sack would have

Heh, I used to pull the old switcheroo on him. I take my hand away
and slowly give him a little stuffed calico cat he likes. I want
him to have a lovey but so far it hasn't worked. He does wrap his
around the cat at night and let out the final "I'm done Daddy" yawn
with his eyes closed. A minute after that his breathing settles into a
certain rythm that I know means I can leave the room.