What's AP?

Old February 9th 04, 06:04 PM
zeldabee

Default What's AP?

iphigenia was all, like:
Zucca4 wrote:
I ran into it a few times today and contextually can't figure it out?
Alternative parenting???

Attachment parenting: see http://www.attachmentparenting.org/

This site always upsets me, because it's so anti-working-parent. It's like,
I don't have the luxury of being AP, because I'm separated from my child
every day.

It's a parenting style that promotes developing and maintaining a
close bond with your child; AP parents tend to babywear, cosleep,
breastfeed for more than a year, abhor "cry-it-out" methods, and
avoid long separations.

I do pretty much all that stuff (intend to BF until Sprogly wants to wean)
except for the frequent separation thing. Bloke, OTOH, thinks I'm spoiling
Sprogly because I'll pick him up when he fusses (as opposed to waiting until
he's sobbing).

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old February 9th 04, 10:07 PM
iphigenia

zeldabee wrote:

This site always upsets me, because it's so anti-working-parent. It's
like, I don't have the luxury of being AP, because I'm separated from
my child every day.

On the other hand, it's nice for those of us who *aren't* working parents to
get some affirmation, because so often we get treated like we've put our
brains on the shelf and left the world of "people who are contributing to
society."

There's always someone willing to try make you feel guilty over just about
anything : )

--
tristyn, dirt poor and living off the goverment to be able to stay home with
my boy

Old February 10th 04, 06:16 PM
Andrea

"iphigenia" wrote in message ...
zeldabee wrote:

This site always upsets me, because it's so anti-working-parent. It's
like, I don't have the luxury of being AP, because I'm separated from
my child every day.

On the other hand, it's nice for those of us who *aren't* working parents

get some affirmation, because so often we get treated like we've put our
brains on the shelf and left the world of "people who are contributing to
society."

There's always someone willing to try make you feel guilty over just about
anything : )

--
tristyn, dirt poor and living off the goverment to be able to stay home

with
my boy

Here here. I love being at home with my kids, I have one boy with Aspergers
syndrome, and another with Apraxia, and the family think it's disgraceful
that we claim disability living allowance for them. We wouldn't get it for
them if they didn't meet the criteria.
We aint rich but we are damn happy.

Andrea mom of 5 - poor but happy!

Old February 11th 04, 04:44 PM
zeldabee

iphigenia was all, like:
zeldabee wrote:

This site always upsets me, because it's so anti-working-parent. It's
like, I don't have the luxury of being AP, because I'm separated from
my child every day.

On the other hand, it's nice for those of us who *aren't* working
parents to get some affirmation, because so often we get treated like
we've put our brains on the shelf and left the world of "people who
are contributing to society."

And I, OTOH, would happily "put my brain on the shelf" for at least the
first year or so, if I only had the option. ) Anyway, I don't see that
people raising kids aren't contributing to society...if kids aren't society,
who is? I've just often come across the idea (in AP-type literature) that
one cannot be "AP" if one of the parents doesn't stay home with the
child(ren).

There's always someone willing to try make you feel guilty over just
about anything : )

I feel guilty enough every time I leave my kid at daycare, even though it's
just about the best possible daycare situation for him. (Daycare Lady
genuinely loves him, and I dread that something might happen so that I
couldn't take him there anymore.)

--
tristyn, dirt poor and living off the goverment to be able to stay home
with my boy

I'd do the same if it were at all possible.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old February 12th 04, 06:18 AM
iphigenia

zeldabee wrote:
Anyway, I don't
see that people raising kids aren't contributing to society...if kids
aren't society, who is?

: ) I agree entirely, but it seems a lot of people don't!

(Daycare Lady genuinely loves him, and I dread that something might
happen so that I couldn't take him there anymore.)

That's great, and I really wish my daycare experiences growing up had been
like that. I know a lady (well, not really, she's on a list I'm no longer
on, but when I *was* on it, she was talking about this) who was agonizing
over leaving her child in daycare with a grandmotherly woman who took care
of a few kids, read them stories and sang songs, made them healthy foods
from scratch, etc. Frankly, I think that sounds wonderful! My daycare
experiences were all really awful, but if I'd had someone like that, I think
it would have made a big difference for the positive in my life.

I'd do the same if it were at all possible.

They're a little freer with the money (without insisting that you be looking
for a job) when your spouse dies. It's not a route I'd recommend though : )

--
tristyn

Old February 12th 04, 05:41 PM
zeldabee

"iphigenia" wrote:
zeldabee wrote:
Anyway, I don't
see that people raising kids aren't contributing to society...if kids
aren't society, who is?

: ) I agree entirely, but it seems a lot of people don't!

These are most likely the same people who frown at you when your baby cries
on the train.

(Daycare Lady genuinely loves him, and I dread that something might
happen so that I couldn't take him there anymore.)

That's great, and I really wish my daycare experiences growing up had
been like that. I know a lady (well, not really, she's on a list I'm no
longer on, but when I *was* on it, she was talking about this) who was
agonizing over leaving her child in daycare with a grandmotherly woman
who took care of a few kids, read them stories and sang songs, made them
healthy foods from scratch, etc. Frankly, I think that sounds wonderful!
My daycare experiences were all really awful, but if I'd had someone like
that, I think it would have made a big difference for the positive in my
life.

Siblings and I had a few nannies (after our parents were divorced) who were
just plain scary. One took the leather strap off our rocking horse to beat
us with. (Then again, our father spanked us with 2x4s, so there you go.)

One of Daycare Lady's other kids was left at her house overnight. Daycare
Lady had called the cops...Turns out the mother thought her sister had
picked up the boy. She hadn't seemed very concerned. (

I'd do the same if it were at all possible.

They're a little freer with the money (without insisting that you be
looking for a job) when your spouse dies. It's not a route I'd recommend
though : )

No indeed. Still, I'd imagine it would be hard to live in NYC without some
other source of income as well, unless maybe you'd lucked out with a
rent-controlled apartment or were living with family or something.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/