Modifing Ohio Arrearages

Old April 27th 04, 09:11 PM
AZ Astrea

Default Modifing Ohio Arrearages

"GNK" wrote in message
om...
I owe quite a bit of money for a child born in 1994. My wife and I
divorced in 1997 and I was ordered to pay $550 a month. I did not
have representation at the time and am not sure on how that number was
arrived at.

Over the next five years I spent quite a bit of time in prison. When
I was released in 2000 I was told I owed a significant amount of money
and that I had to pay that + the $550 each month. As a felon I could
barley get a job above minimum wage and thus was not able to pay the
monthly amount. In 2000 I was arrested for felony non-support. I was
going away on another charge so I did not fight it and was sentenced
to 18 months.

---------------------
Did they find you able to pay but not paying?
--------------------

During my incarceration my ex-wife (who had remarried) filed to have
all my parental rights nullified and have her now husband formally
adopt the child. In July of 2001 this event took place. According to
Ohio law this terminated the support order.

On my release was told that I would still have to pay the arrearage
owed. $30,000. This number was modified by my caseworker to $200 a
month. However, finding work has been extremely difficult and I have
been unable to pay this. It is not that I have been living it up
either. I own no car and live at the YMCA. I work day labor and
often do not make enough to eat.

My question: I received a summons to answer for contempt of court!
They think I still owe $550 a month plus insurance plus the arrearage.
I have to show cause why I could not pay. I don't make any money!!!
When I was I was paying but now I barley make enough to get by. I
don't want to go back to prison or even be cited for contempt and
locked up for 30 days. An attorney told me that the $30,000 is
unrealistic and that the amount should have been changed when I was
locked up. He also said that the amount of arrearage could be
adjusted. Is this true? What should I do? Any help is gratefully
appreciated.

You need to show up for the contempt hearing. Can you prove that you have
no income? Do you have enough to pay some amount every month? Will your ex
sign a satisfaction of judgement for the past amount you owe? I thought if
you were facing a year or more on a contempt that they had to supply you
with a lawyer. Is there a legal aid office?

~AZ~