After 13 years, mom gets $66,000 in child support

Old June 11th 04, 05:45 PM
Editor -- Child Support News

Default After 13 years, mom gets $66,000 in child support

See this article and others at http://childsupportnews.com .

Friday, June 11, 2004
By Ken Kolker
The Grand Rapids Press
For nearly 13 years, Nancy Rosema has fought for an increase in child
support for her two children -- a battle that reached the state Supreme
Court and led, in part, to the resignation of a Kent County judge.

On Thursday, she waited some more.

For most of six hours, the Cascade Township woman sat in a hallway on the
ninth floor of the Kent County Courthouse as attorneys negotiated a
settlement.

Finally, just before 5 p.m., the new judge in the case, Kent County Family
Judge Patricia Gardner, ordered Rosema's ex-husband, Dr. Robert Rosema, also
of Cascade Township, to pay $66,000 in back child support, a little more
than half of what Nancy Rosema expected.

Before the settlement, Nancy Rosema met briefly with Gardner. She said the
judge apologized for the years of delays. Wyoming District Judge Jack
Jelsema's handling of the case was one reason he was censured and suspended
by the state Supreme Court before he resigned.

"I truly feel I have no choice, a noose is around my neck, and I have no
choice," a tearful Nancy Rosema said as she accepted the agreement in court.
"My kids want it to end, and I want it to end, too."

The hearing, scheduled at 10:30 a.m., was delayed so long that her support
system, including her daughter, Emily, now a 23-year-old law student, and
her ex-husband's sister, had to leave for work. Her son, Adam, now 20,
showed up later, but also had to leave before the deal was reached.

Nancy Rosema and Robert Rosema were high school sweethearts who married in
1971. They divorced in 1984, and he was ordered to pay $600 a month in child
support and $1,600 a month in alimony.

Seven years later, in 1991, she filed for an increase in child support,
claiming her ex-husband's salary as an oral surgeon had tripled to nearly
$200,000 a year while she made $20,000 as a dental assistant. Their
daughter, Emily, was 10 at the time; their son, Adam, 7.

She raised their children in a small house while he eventually moved to a
$700,000 home.

In May 1993, Jelsema, who was assigned the case, ordered an increase in
child support but eliminated alimony, leaving her where she started. She
appealed to the state Court of Appeals, then to the Supreme Court, which
overturned Jelsema and ordered him in 1996 to try again.

Finally, in February 2000, nearly 3 1/2 years after the Supreme Court's
ruling, Jelsema ordered the ex-husband to pay $2,700 a month in support and
alimony retroactive to December 1991.

Nancy Rosema said she never saw the increase, which stayed tied up in court.

The Supreme Court publicly censured Jelsema in 2001 for his handling of two
divorce cases, including Rosema v. Rosema. He was later suspended by the
Supreme Court. Jelsema, first elected to the bench in 1978, resigned last
year, citing ill health, and apologized for the delays.

Before leaving office, Jelsema signed an opinion that Rosema's ex-husband's
support should have been 38 percent higher dating back to late 1991. Rosema
said she expected to get $120,000.

But the case remained tied up while Nancy Rosema waited for her ex-husband
to provide the court with income figures, according to her attorney. He
filed those figures with the court late last year.

Robert Rosema was not in court Thursday but was represented by his attorney,
Connie Thacker, who updated him on negotiations by telephone. She said the
delays were not his fault.

Robert Rosema refused comment this morning.

Nancy Rosema said she will use the money to help pay off college loans for
her children. Her son is attending Davenport while her daughter is in her
first year of law school at Thomas Cooley Law School in Lansing.

Emily Rosema said her father and the court failed her and her brother.

"It's fine if he's never loved me or taken care of me, but he has to take
responsibility," she said before the settlement was reached.

Old June 11th 04, 07:22 PM
Bob

Friday, June 11, 2004
By Ken Kolker
The Grand Rapids Press
For nearly 13 years, Nancy Rosema has fought for an increase in child
support for her two children -- a battle that reached the state Supreme
Court and led, in part, to the resignation of a Kent County judge.

For 13 years she had reneged on HER obligation to support HER child.
She ought to be told to get off her fat ass, get a job, and support HER
child.

Bob

--

When did we divide into sides?

"As president, I will put American government and our legal system back
on the side of women." John Kerry, misandrist Democratic candidate for
President. http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/women/

Old June 11th 04, 07:22 PM
Bob

Old June 11th 04, 07:22 PM
Bob

Old June 11th 04, 07:25 PM
Bob

Friday, June 11, 2004
By Ken Kolker

Then get a ****ing job, bitch. Or take the kids to their father.

Nancy Rosema and Robert Rosema were high school sweethearts who married in
1971. They divorced in 1984, and he was ordered to pay $600 a month in child
support and $1,600 a month in alimony.

He-pays, she-gets-paid. The typical misandrist feminazi crap.

The man ought to have shot her 13 years ago and taken his kids back.

Bob

--

When did we divide into sides?

"As president, I will put American government and our legal system back
on the side of women." John Kerry, misandrist Democratic candidate for
President. http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/women/

[Bob does not advocate any illegal, seditious, or immoral acts. All
posts are for discussion, rhetorical, or humorous purposes only.]

Old June 11th 04, 07:25 PM
Bob

Old June 11th 04, 07:25 PM
Bob

Old June 11th 04, 08:10 PM
Zimm

Friday, June 11, 2004
By Ken Kolker
The Grand Rapids Press
For nearly 13 years, Nancy Rosema has fought for an increase in child
support for her two children -- a battle that reached the state Supreme
Court and led, in part, to the resignation of a Kent County judge.

For 13 years she had reneged on HER obligation to support HER child. She
ought to be told to get off her fat ass, get a job, and support HER child.

Bob

You didn't read the article. She did have a job - and made a whopping
$20,000 a year. The article doesn't say anything about her having a fat
ass.

Zimm

Old June 11th 04, 08:10 PM
Zimm